ZY Optics "Mitakon" 24mm f/1.7 and 42,5mm f/1.2

Mat - MirrorLessons

Mu-43 Veteran
Hello m4/3 users,

I'm testing the two ZY optics "Mitakon" 24mm and 42,5mm. For those unfamiliar, ZY Optics is the same brand that designed the speedmaster lenses f/0.95 for Sony cameras.

They are manual focus lenses only. Nice metal build, de-click aperture rings but lacking some precisions with the hyperlocal scale. The lenses are designed for APS-C sensors but are available also with the MFT mount.

Here are some image samples:

E-M10 and 24mm at 1.7

Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)
OMD-EM10 and ZY Optics 24mm f/1.7 by Mat - MirrorLessons, on Flickr

E-M10 e 24mm a f/8

E-M10 e 24mm a f/11

E-M1 e 42,5mm a f/1.2

OMD-EM1 and ZY Optics 42,5mm f/1.2 by Mat - MirrorLessons, on Flickr

E-M1 e 42,5mm a f/1.2

OMD-EM1 and ZY Optics 42,5mm f/1.2 by Mat - MirrorLessons, on Flickr

jyc860923

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
贾一川
they manufacture the lens in my city, and I've used a Zhongyi lens for a while, the new 24 and 42.5 definitely look better.

danieru

Mu-43 Regular
Real Name
Daniel
I've been interested in the Mitakon for awhile, especially considering the fast aperture and related price, it's hard to find reviews, good sample pictures and people that have had hands on experience, so thanks for that.

The pictures and bokeh of the 42.5 are quite nice.

Mat - MirrorLessons

Mu-43 Veteran
I'll have the review ready for the end of the week.
Right now I think that the 42,5mm is the most interesting lens. The 24mm has some limitations when it comes to IQ.

broody

Mu-43 Veteran
The 42.5mm production model seems quite a bit nicer than the samples shown at Photokina. ZY did a great job on this one.

Thank you so much for posting this! I'm very hyped for this lens again. I love the O45, but sometimes you need a little more isolation, also I've always wanted for a metal-bodied model which wasn't zomghuge like the Nocticron/Voigtlander.

Mat - MirrorLessons

Mu-43 Veteran
Thanks Mat! Looking forward to your review. How would compare this lens to something like an adapted 50mm 1.4 lens? Do you find the wide open sharpness to be decent?
To me the wide open sharpness is decent. Don't expect it to be razor sharp. It is soft but usable in some situations. Just to show you better what we are talking about here is a home made sample below. On a object like this it looks perhaps too soft. With portraits, good light, a nice subject and a nice composition I think that the lens can be used with good results like the first pictures I posted.

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Mu-43 is a fan site and not associated with Olympus, Panasonic, or other manufacturers mentioned on this site.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Copyright © 2009-2019 Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom