Zuiko Digital ED 50-200mm ƒ/2.8-3.5 SWD First Impressions

jeffryscott

Mu-43 Top Veteran
It is a wonderful lens. I first went for the non-SWD and quickly found the SWD version. The mechanical focus makes the lens that much nicer, as well as firmware 3.0.

gryphon1911

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
Andrew
That image is great, you are utilizing it well. I dream of being able to get a heron image that good. They always seem to elude me or I don't have long enough glass to reach them like you've done above.

Thanks for sharing. :D

jeffryscott

Mu-43 Top Veteran
I still desire the Pro lens, if for nothing else the smaller, non-extending body. But I know I would miss the extra range.

I am very pleased with the performance of the combo and am actually looking at other legacy options, 12-60, 7-14 or 11-22. While larger, they are weather sealed and in the 12-60's case, half the price of the 12-40 pro.

JudyM

Mu-43 All-Pro
I ordered a used 50-200mm SWD in like new condition from KEH just before visiting the forum today. I've purchased lenses from KEH before and the condition has always exceeded my expectations. I'm anxious to try it out.

I thought long and hard about a new 40-150mm vs. a good used 50-200mm. In the end, the 50-200mm with its extra reach felt like the right way to go. There's no doubt that the 40-150mm is sharp, but the 50-200mm delivers some beautiful results as well. At less than half the cost of the 40-150mm, it was no contest. Now I can put the savings towards the 16-35mm for my a7R.:wink:

gryphon1911

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
Andrew
Thank you. Practice and patients is how you get close enough to them. When I first got my EM5 all I had was the kit lens and a Nikon adapter. Was waiting for my Canon adapter to come in so I could use my FD 400mm. Anyways, the only other lens I had was my 105mm Lester Dine macro in Nikon mount (is my only Nikon mount lens). I had to crawl on the ground and sneak behind trees and bushes to get close enough to get this photograph:

View attachment 412403

Because of the circumstances behind getting it, it is still my favorite Blue Heron photo.
That's what I call dedication.

Ross the fiddler

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
Ross
I ordered a used 50-200mm SWD in like new condition from KEH just before visiting the forum today. I've purchased lenses from KEH before and the condition has always exceeded my expectations. I'm anxious to try it out.

I thought long and hard about a new 40-150mm vs. a good used 50-200mm. In the end, the 50-200mm with its extra reach felt like the right way to go. There's no doubt that the 40-150mm is sharp, but the 50-200mm delivers some beautiful results as well. At less than half the cost of the 40-150mm, it was no contest. .......... :wink:
I've thought long & hard over this too & got my used one from a seller in Japan at the beginning of March. It was a desired lens when I was using the E30 (DSLR) but bought the E-M5 instead at the time. Now that I also have the E-M1 & the improvement of firmware 3.0 I'm pleased I went ahead buying the lens (from Japan) this year.

Here's a photo of a rare visit from a Tawny Frogmouth taken on the E-M1 & 50-200 SWD lens..
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

Last edited:

Holoholo55

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
Walter
So, my lens arrived yesterday and this morning I headed over to a nearby area of Lake Houston where I knew I could find a few birds to test it out on. Overall I am really happy with the lens. I only tested it with the 1.4x TC attached, is how I will mostly be using it so it can replace my m4/3 75-300. It focuses a little slower than my 75-300, but not that much slower and is perfect for my current needs. I am glad I went with the SWD version just because of the mechanical focus and the ability to manual focus using continual focus. The images seemed to need less work in post because of the better contrast from the lens and they just seemed to have more pop then the 75-300.

Olympus E-M1, ZD 50-200 SWD, EC-14, 1/1600 @ ƒ4.8, 208mm (effective 417mm)
View attachment 38026
Hi Ronnie,

If you don't mind me asking, where did you get your 50-200? New, used on eBay, or from another source?

Thanks,
Walter

jeffryscott

Mu-43 Top Veteran
These are fantastic lenses on the E-M1, if you have any question about it, just look at the results here and in other threads. I've got mine for sale in the buy/sell ... great price for the lens/adapter combo.

Latest posts

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Mu-43 is a fan site and not associated with Olympus, Panasonic, or other manufacturers mentioned on this site.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Copyright © 2009-2019 Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom