Zuiko Digital 70-300mm and CDAF

jimr.pdx

Mu-43 Top Veteran
Real Name
Jim R
Not referring to either of the :mu43: 75-300, f/4.8-6.7 lenses!
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

The Zuiko Digital 70-300 has some nice features, including being about 1/2 stop brighter than the m.Zuiko through the range and its 1:2 closeup ability at close focus. It's a bit of a beast at 600g but the full 4Thirds lenses are pretty much that way.

Another 'feature' is its perception as a CDAF-optimized lens. My copy is definitely not! :frown:

I own two generic 4Thirds adapters, several :mu43: bodies (none with PDAF) and both the zD 70-300 and the 35/3.5 macro.
  • The 35mm macro provides the 'classic' CDAF experience with the EP5 and G85: very slow steps through the range, a short hunt then AF achieved. I owned the 35 macro before when I had an E500 and PL-series Pen and this was what happened then as well.
  • With the 70-300 I get no AF action at all - no slow hunting, no AF sound, nothing. I tried GF2/GX1/G85 Lumix, EP5 Oly and the YI M1 - no attempt to AF in the slightest. Manual focus works fine though, so power is reaching the focus motor. The adapter sends focal-length data to the EP5/G85 in-body IS, which is better than adapting from another mount with no FL info. That plus the $130ish price tag means I'll keep it and use manual focus only. The fact that is shows no AF ability yet can move the focus motor in MF mode puzzles me though.

Does anyone else have the old 70-300 4Thirds lens (f/4-5.6), and the ability to use it on a CDAF body? I'd really like to know if my bargain lens is defective or if others have shared my pain. Since both adapters work with the macro lens it's hard to suspect the problem is with them. That's a possibility though I suppose..

Thanks! :thumbsup:

JanW

Mu-43 Regular
Real Name
Jan
If is definitely cdaf optimised.
I had the same lenses you have and the 70-300 focused much better on the gf6 I had.
And even if it wasn't cdaf optimised the af should work.
A bit of an obvious question: did you notice the af/mf switch on the lens???

jimr.pdx

Mu-43 Top Veteran
Real Name
Jim R
If is definitely cdaf optimised.
A bit of an obvious question: did you notice the af/mf switch on the lens???
:blush: :shakehead: :blush:

:bravo-009: much better now, much faster than the 35. The danger of buying a lens w/ no paperwork - still should have seen that though! It's been a while since I owned a lens of any brand/mount with a switch on it.

Last edited:
Just out of curiosity, how do you like the lens? I'd like to get something with a little more reach, and it seems like you can get these used for <$200 -- that's not bad :)

n3eg

Mu-43 Regular
I almost posted a trouble report and then remembered the switch. I'm using mine with a brand X electronic adapter on my E-M5 III, and focus time is adequate. Even with the 4/3 1.4x TC it autofocuses indoors.

Holoholo55

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
Walter
Apparently not much luck with your question. I was wondering myself what reputation this lens has, I'd use it on a PDAF body.
There are a few reviews of the lens online.
https://www.imaging-resource.com/lenses/olympus/70-300mm-f4-5.6-ed-zuiko-digital/review/

This lens is not one of their HG or SHG lenses. It's a consumer grade lens, like the MZD 75-300. It's not bad up until 150, but softens up after that. Pretty much like most non-pro telezooms of this type. Still, it might be better than cropping an image shot at 150. :)

Latest posts

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Mu-43 is a fan site and not associated with Olympus, Panasonic, or other manufacturers mentioned on this site.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Copyright © 2009-2019 Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom