Zuiko Auto S 50mm f1.8 procedure please

Discussion in 'Adapted Lenses' started by Dave in Wales, Dec 1, 2011.

1. Dave in Wales

Dave in Wales Mu-43 All-Pro

Nov 5, 2011
    West Wales
    My Zuiko Auto 50mm f1.8 arrive this morning and a little beauty it is too, nigh on mint.

The adaptor is on it's way from the States so I can't play with it yet.

There are two pushers on the outside of the lens, sorry if I'm reaching Granny to suck eggs, one to lock/unlock the lens onto the camera and another that stops down the lens to the preset apertaure, DOF preview I suppose.

Am I correct in saying that this pusher must be depressed whilst taking a picture as well as metering?

D in W

2. winx14

winx14 Mu-43 Regular

Dec 1, 2010
    Brooklyn, NY
    No, these pushers are just to un-mount the lens from the adapter. The secondary function is to look at the aperture blades open and close, lol.

3. Dave in Wales

Nov 5, 2011
    West Wales

4. winx14

winx14 Mu-43 Regular

Dec 1, 2010
    Brooklyn, NY
    I received my first OM lens before I got an adapter also. I thought the aperture blades were broken, because when I changed the aperture, I didn't see the blades open and close. They don't move unless you push the button(s), but when it's mounted you don't have to push anything.

5. Dave in Wales

Nov 5, 2011
    West Wales

6. Ned

Ned Mu-43 Legend

Jul 18, 2010
    Alberta, Canada
    Yes, that is what happens. Not having to rely on an optical viewfinder means that the camera can read the lens stopped down and show you the "real" image in live view, with the correct DOF, exposure, color, etc. This is a huge advantage over using manual lenses with a DSLR, as SLRs are made to view wide open then stop down automatically to take a photo but a DSLR body can't do this automatically with a legacy lens so the adapter lets the lens stop down all the time. This can make the view in your viewfinder very dim if you stop down from wide open. With a mirrorless camera, you get the full exposure view no matter what lens you're using... with real-time DOF preview.

So with the OM Zuiko lenses on a mirrorless body, the release button is the only one that will work and the DOF Preview button is just for show. Having the lens release button on the mount is really awesome, though! This makes it really easy to release your lens or adapter... press the camera's release button to release the adapter, or the lens' release button to release just the lens (ie, if you're swapping to another OM lens). With most mounts it can be a little more confusing when you're working quickly on the field. Another great thing about the Zuiko lens design is having the aperture ring on the nose of the lens (the OM bodies had a shutter speed ring at the base of the lens mount). This position is much more convenient on a digital camera, as it prevents it from getting accidentally moved while mounting and dismounting lenses, or just holding the camera by the lens. All my other manual lenses get changed accidentally all the time, making me have to keep tabs on what my aperture value is at. With my Zuiko lenses, as well as some older rangefinder lenses with the aperture on the nose, I never have to worry about it. The aperture always stays where I last left it.

In short, the design of OM lenses make it just perfect for use on a digital camera. The unique nature of the OM system moved some functions over to the lens, and shifted some things around on the lens. In the end, it works out perfect!

With a manual lens, Manual mode is still Manual mode and works the same with the camera's meter. However, Program Mode is now equivalent to Aperture Priority, allowing you to set the aperture on your lens and have the camera figure out shutter speed for you.

7. Dave in Wales

Nov 5, 2011
    West Wales
    Very many thanks Ned.

D in W

8. That something is nothing very sophisticated; just a small metal tab to engage the pin at the back of the lens. Apparently some adapters don't have them so, fingers crossed!

9. Sammyboy

Sammyboy m43 Pro

Oct 26, 2010
    Steeler Country
    Dave, congrats on your new lens, I'm sure you'll love it, the OM 50/1.8 are real jewels.
    I own many of these in both 1.4 & 1.8 versions. I use two adapters, one has the aperture pin removed and is used for hand helds. I can select a shooting aperture on the lens (aperture priority mode on camera), focus wide open and press the preview button on the lens just prior to releasing the shutter. You'll find the preview button is located in the perfect position on the lens. The other adapter retains the aperture pin, and is used when using a tripod.

10. Dave in Wales

Nov 5, 2011
    West Wales
  11. Sammyboy

Sammyboy m43 Pro

Oct 26, 2010
    Steeler Country
    Dave, I also have the Photodiox adapters, that tab is removable if so desired, but not everyone likes using the lens without the tab. It's nice to have that option though. :smile: