1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

zuiko 70-300mm field of view samples

Discussion in 'Other Systems' started by ghetto, Nov 24, 2012.

1. ghetto

ghetto Mu-43 Regular

I recently acquired the zuiko 70-300mm lens (because it's so much cheaper than the m.zuiko verson). I haven't received my adapter yet, but I couldn't wait to test it out. Luckily the lens came with an old e510 (which is for the most will perform just like my e-p1 anyways, and I'm too impatient to wait for my adapter...).

I took some pictures to show a friend the FOV difference so I figured I'd just upload them here too so other curious minds can have a look too.

The first picture here is taken with my e-p1 & 17mm lens so 35mm equiv. This is just a reference image so you know where I am. This is the full image not cropped, just scaled. I put a red box around what is roughly the next image or you might never figure out where that is... :biggrin:
    [​IMG]

The second image here is taken with the e510 at 300mm (600m equiv), not cropped, this is the full image just scaled. The location of this image is roughly 1.5 km away from where I'm sitting.
    e510_600mm_longreef.

Just to give you an idea of how much it can resolve I've included the following two 100% crops. Keep in mind there's a lot of water vapour in the air as this is over the ocean on a hot day, it's also next to impossible to keep 300mm steady even with a tripod (okay I had a cheap light weight tripod mean for the e-p1...)
    e510_600mm_surfski_100crop.
    e510_600mm_lifeguard_100crop.

I don't know about anyone else, but I find this quite impressive that I can see 1.5 km away and read the writing on the bottom of a surfski. This lens runs about $150-250 on ebay, much cheaper than the alternatives... Image quality should actually be better on my e-p1 by just a bit once I get the adapter on it.