Zuiko 70-300 vs Tokina 100-300 F4 or other?

Discussion in 'Adapted Lenses' started by gmex, Nov 11, 2012.

1. gmex

gmex New to Mu-43

Nov 10, 2012
    Hello,
    I have a zuiko 70-300 for my 4/3 camera but I am changing to m4/3 (EPL-2, probably).
    On the one hand I wanted to have a more lightweight system but on the other hand it is important for me to increase focal lenghs. I wanted to get over 800 mm (equiv).

First I thought about buying the Zuiko EC-20 to use with my Zuiko 70-300 and an adapter for m4/3, but the prices are really high. As I normally use manual focus I thought that maybe I could go for a good manual lens.

I have found the tokina 100-300 but it weighs about 1,5 kg. Are there other good zoom lenses a little less weighted? I was planning to use it with a teleconverter 1,4 or 2,0x. Any suggestions?

I want them for nature photography.

Any advises? I am open to any other lenses that would work fine.

Thank you very much.

2. tradesmith45

tradesmith45 Mu-43 All-Pro

Dec 13, 2012
    Oregon
    gmex, I have similar interests - a birding lens w/ higher IQ than current mu4/3 300 zooms. If you take a look @ this Photozone test report Tokina AF 100-300mm f/4 AT-X II - Review / Lab Test Report - Analysis
    you'll find that the Tokina probably isn't that lens. They have not published a test of the zuiko but comparisons on .SLR say it is not as sharp as the native xx-300mm mu4/3 lenses.

From browsing the Photozone tests, there are some Sigmas that look to have higher IQ & a few good 300mm primes. But the lightest of these, the Pentax 300mm F4.5, is 33 oz. Though you can not compare these resolution tests across platforms, it looks like this Pentax has higher IQ than the current mu4/3 300mm zooms & among legacy primes may have the highest IQ per oz. The Pentax, Canon & Nikon 300 F4s are all as sharp or better but much heavier. Of these, the Pentax is only 38 oz. & maybe sharper than the F4.5. Can't find any tests of teh OM 300mm F4.5.

3. zapatista

zapatista Mu-43 Top Veteran

Mar 19, 2012
    Denver, Colorado, USA
    Mike
    I'm in the same spot, looking for a decent 300mm (600mm eq.) or a little bit longer focal length. I have an 300mm f4.5 MD Minolta which is ok, but it's the non-tripod collar one and a Nikon 300mm f4.5 which is not as good. I've used both the Oly 75-300mm and the Panasonic 100-300mm and both just kinda suck at 300mm.

My main lens for birding that I keep going back too is a Canon FD 85-300mm f4.5 which is pretty good, but weighs about 2 kilos (over 4 pounds). I haven't tried a bigma yet.

4. Ross the fiddler

Ross the fiddler Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Using ZD70-300 lens on OM-D

I use my ZD70-300 lens on my E-M5 & I've also tried my EC14 with it. The results from just the lens is quite good in sufficient light (but getting a little softer at 300mm), however, using the EC14 with it is not really worth it & forget any idea of using the EC20 with that lens. It just won't be bright enough nor the lens good enough to get sharp enough results in that combination. That's my opinion anyhow.

5. RDM

RDM Mu-43 All-Pro

Finding a bigma in 4/3 mount so it can be used on a µ4/3 camera with adapter is dam near impossible. Sigma stopped making it years ago and I don't think enough were sold to see them turn up on the used market often. But I do keep my eyes out.
    I think Sigma should at least make it again and just modify it to a µ4/3 mount. I bet they would sell more than a few, or least offer it again in regular µ4/3 mount so we could use it with adapter, that would probably be the cheapest way for them .