1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Zuiko 60mm Macro vs The Bokina

Discussion in 'Native Lenses' started by datagov, Mar 1, 2015.

1. O60

10 vote(s)
    90.9%
  2. Bokina

1 vote(s)
    9.1%
  1. datagov

datagov Mu-43 All-Pro

Dec 2, 2012
    New York
    Recently, I bought an Olympus 60mm f2.8 Macro and have been testing it for several weeks. Previously, I shot with the Tokina a-tx 90mm f2.5 Macro, aka "The Bokina," a legendary MF macro from the mid-80's.

Working now with autofocus and a shorter focal length, I could not really tell if I liked the new O60. So today I tried them both out on the same subject, with exactly the same lighting. I used a Yongnuo flash, bounced off the ceiling to diffuse the light over the subject. No tripod. Handheld with IBIS on. Both are shot at the same f2.8 and the same 1/200 shutter speed. The angle of shooting is different with the longer lens, so I had to crop the Bokina shot slightly.

The Bokeh on the Bokina is, as you might expect, better. It is 90mm vs 60mm. But the colors of the Olympus are punchier right out of the camera. And of course focus on the center of the flower is perfect with auto focus.

In many ways the 30+ year old Bokina holds up pretty well, and I much prefer the working distance of the older lens. But weight and auto focus make up for that with the O60.

What do you think?

O60

_SBA5409.

Bokina

_SBA5412.

Just for comparison, I re-shot the same flower with the Canon FDn 80-200 f4 L @ 135mm and f4 to see how it would fare. It is not in the vote, but it seems to do pretty well.

_SBA5427.

Last edited: Mar 1, 2015
    • Like Like x 4
  2. Tapper

Tapper Mu-43 Regular

Mar 12, 2013
    All look pretty good. I like the Olympus 60mm colors the best though.

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. NoSeconds

NoSeconds Mu-43 All-Pro

Yep, have to say the Oly...

and brickbats for adding ANOTHER lens to my list... :biggrin:

4. tjdean01

tjdean01 Mu-43 Top Veteran

Feb 20, 2013
    I most definitely prefer the colors of the second image, the Bokina. They are more saturated. On the Bokina I'd say the flowers are purple. On the O60 I'd say pink. Different apertures or...am I'm missing something as to why I'm the only one who likes the Bokina image?

5. budeny

budeny Mu-43 All-Pro

Mar 4, 2014
    Boulder, CO
    Seems like newer Olympus glass has better light transmission - background is a lot lighter, hence colors are different.
    I also wouldn't trust camera's jpeg's for such comparisons - process them in same way in some raw processor..

6. tkbslc

tkbslc Mu-43 Hall of Famer

I would probably say the Olympus wins, but it's so close that it really doesn't matter. Just goes to show there is some good old glass out there that can hang with the best from today.

• Like Like x 1
  7. datagov

datagov Mu-43 All-Pro

Dec 2, 2012
    New York
    The photos were shot RAW and processed the same way in darktable.

8. Gary5

Gary5 Mu-43 Veteran

Jan 15, 2014
    Great comparison, thanks. I would like to see how Bokina plus focal reducer compares.

9. faithblinded

faithblinded Mu-43 Top Veteran

Nov 25, 2014
    Cleveland, OH
    Ken
    There seems to be a blue cast to the bokina image. Did you dial in each WB individually, or use the same setting for all? If the latter, I'd recommend doing the WB for each lens in a shooting scenario separately. Several of my adapted lenses show a slight color cast, or slightly undersaturate one color channel.

10. tkbslc

tkbslc Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Or the Olympus is too warm. Just because most of us find the Olympus more pleasing, doesn't mean it is the right color!

• Agree Agree x 1
  11. flamingfish

flamingfish Mu-43 Top Veteran

Nov 16, 2012
    Emily
    For that image, I prefer the more muted colors of the Bokina. That doesn't mean anybody's going to get their mitts on my beloved Oly 60mm, though.

12. datagov

datagov Mu-43 All-Pro

Dec 2, 2012
    New York
    Good points. I will do some other comparisons and post them here, and will use JPEG SOOC with no processing.