1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

ZUIKO 60mm Macro and Olympus LH-49 Sliding Hood

Discussion in 'Native Lenses' started by Dave in Wales, Oct 18, 2013.

1. Dave in Wales

Dave in Wales Mu-43 All-Pro

Nov 5, 2011
    West Wales
    ZUIKO 60mm Macro and Olympus LH-49 Sliding Hood...Update

I'm considering this lens, the sliding hood is very expensive (14% the cost of the lens) is it worth the money.

Anybody have a cheaper alternative?

2. Wisertime

Wisertime Mu-43 All-Pro

Aug 6, 2013
    Philly
    Steve
    I got one on amazon for about $6 w/ lens cap. Makes it much longer for walkabout, but can't beat the price.

• Like Like x 1
  3. ThomD

ThomD Mu-43 Veteran

Jun 1, 2013
    SF Bay Area
    It looks like Amazon.co.uk has a JJC version for 13.75

• Like Like x 1
  4. Sammyboy

Sammyboy m43 Pro

Oct 26, 2010
    Steeler Country
    • Like Like x 2
  5. jrsilva

jrsilva Mu-43 All-Pro

Nov 1, 2012
    Portugal
    Jaime
    I never tested the original one.
    I've got the JJC version and it looks like the original Olympus one.
    It does not slide smooth tough, but if the design is similar to the Olympus one, maybe that's the way it is.

• Like Like x 1
  6. Wisertime

Wisertime Mu-43 All-Pro

Aug 6, 2013
    Philly
    Steve
    • Like Like x 3
  7. Rudy

Rudy Mu-43 Veteran

Jan 24, 2013
    Oakland, CA
    I use the same one.
    While it makes the lens a lot longer (all the time) it does have the advantage that you don't really need a lens cap as the front element is so far back that you would need a stick to scratch it.
    Rudy

• Like Like x 1
  8. garfield_cz

garfield_cz Mu-43 Veteran

Jul 9, 2011
    Czech Republic
    Pavel
    Original sliding hood is definitively worth, it is made from quality material and operates smoothly.

• Like Like x 1
  9. JudyM

JudyM Mu-43 All-Pro

May 5, 2010
    Westminster, MD
    I kind of gasped at the price, took a deep breath and ordered the original hood with my lens. I looked at the third party hoods, but thought of ending up with a sloppy fit or a hood that sticks convinced me to spend the extra money. Over the number of years that I plan to keep this lens, it's really not that much.

• Like Like x 1
  10. HappyFish

HappyFish Mu-43 Top Veteran

Sep 8, 2012
    Chad
    I got the original when they had the price mess up some time ago and got it cheap ! if there is a generic that slides I would try that first and see how it works ? if not amazon :) send it back nothing lost

the stock one is nice and smooth but does fall off easy in some ways ? but the collapse design is great :)

• Like Like x 1
  11. jrsilva

jrsilva Mu-43 All-Pro

Nov 1, 2012
    Portugal
    Jaime

The JJC replica does slide, but not in a smooth way. On the other hand maybe it is better that way because it does not fall easy.

• Like Like x 1
  12. HappyFish

Sep 8, 2012
    Chad
    my slide is pretty good unless I shook it hard wont move ? for me smooth is not such a huge thing I tend to pull it out use it not like I am redoing it every single shot so not a big deal :)

glad there are alternatives :) I got a generic for my oly 75 1.8 :) blocks the light same as anything else ;)

13. m43man

m43man Mu-43 Veteran

Aug 28, 2012
    Vancouver
    The JJC hood really annoys me because it doesn't slide properly at all. Can owners of genuine Olympus hood comment on the "smoothness" of the slide? Is it also made of plastic too?

14. HappyFish

Sep 8, 2012
    Chad
    I can try its smooth in the sense of plastic against plastic and even all the way from detent to detent :)

the storage point and extended have detents to stop it so it stays open or closed :)

if you put the lens mount side down and lift it n the closed position its stiff enough you life the lens
    if you pick it up and wiggle it lightly it falls down or extends
    if you take it out of that detent position by a touch and again lens mount side down on the table and lift the lens from the hood you just raise the hood into open position so the weight of the lens is enough that the hood slides :) I think that makes sense or hope it does

once extended if I set my iPhone 5 on it stays up set a second one on it then it drops or collapses just to try to give you a idea of what it takes for the detent to be pushed in or out :)

hope that helps :)

15. Ross the fiddler

Ross the fiddler Mu-43 Hall of Famer

I also have the JJC one & I always use pencil lead (graphite) to lubricate contact points & the slide part of this hood & although it's firm to move forward & back it is reasonably good all the same. It does come off with little rotation force (maybe that was my fault in the beginning) & care has to be taken when removing the lens to grab the lens barrel properly & not the hood or all that will be removed is the hood.

Before I got that I had a parallel vented one that screwed in & was good except for using a lens cover. Actually, the back venting allowed the focus assist light of the E-M5 to work pretty good.

16. Dave in Wales

Dave in Wales Mu-43 All-Pro

Nov 5, 2011
    West Wales
    The lens has been ordered, now what hood.

Thanks to all.

17. bcaslis

bcaslis Mu-43 Veteran

Jul 3, 2011
    Wilsonville, OR, USA
    Brian Caslis
    I got the Olympus hood a week ago. If you intend to use this lens alot I think it is worth it over the cheaper alternatives. It's what $50 at most? How long are you going to use this lens? The hood is made just for this lens, works well, provides great protection and is light. What more do you want?

18. HappyFish

Sep 8, 2012
    Chad
    What more do I want :) to be included with the lens :)
    Hahahahah

19. bcaslis

bcaslis Mu-43 Veteran

Jul 3, 2011
    Wilsonville, OR, USA
    Brian Caslis
    I want that too! I actually wanted the hood for the 75mm f1.8 to be included more (it costs more). But what are going to do? Switch to a DSLR?

20. HappyFish

Sep 8, 2012
    Chad
    sadly if they included it we would be paying more :)

I do like my cheap hood for my 75 screw on and with circ pol on it I just turn the whole thing :)