Zuiko 50mm f 1.8 keep ?

Discussion in 'Adapted Lenses' started by dee, Apr 24, 2011.

1. dee

dee Mu-43 Rookie

Oct 18, 2010
    London Far South
    I have just aquired an Olympus OM10 with very clean 50 f 1.8 for £2.50 .
    I have a Pentax K 50 and various Minolta 50s , f 1.7 and f 1.4 .but have just a Minolta adapter [ actually MD to 39mm plus 39mm to G1 ] at present .
    The Zuiko seems a similar size to the Pentax , with the Minolta lenses being considerably bigger on the G1 .
    I like the forward aperture ring similar to my rangefinder lenses , and it just feels good to me .
    Worth paying out £20 or so for the adapter for just one lense ?
    Or should I put it on e-bay ?
    Thanks
    dee

2. Absolutely (to the adapter, not eBay), but only if you think you want to shoot at that focal length and with a manual focus lens. I don't think that you'll get a cheaper lens that feels as well built as the OM Zuiko 50/1.8. Takes a nice picture too.

3. dee

dee Mu-43 Rookie

Oct 18, 2010
    London Far South
    I actually like using the nom 100mm with the G1 - Summitar / Russian Elmar copy as avatar and several ex-USSR lenses to play with !

I am not so sure with the Minolta MD lenses , though I have been using a 45mm f2 pancake and 35mm f 1.8 on a 4/3rds Panasonic L1 / Leica Digilux 3 , they just don't ... feel balanced on the G1 .

I am Ok using the Pentax K 50mm and K 28mm f 2.8 on my K10d , bought for it's ease with manual lenses ... but somehow , they just don't translate to the G1 ... though I have yet to buy an K adapter .

Maybe it's odd choosing a lens just 'cos it seems Ok with the G1 , but I think that I will go for the OM .

4. emoslaughter

emoslaughter Mu-43 Regular

Apr 9, 2011
    Cleveland Ohio
    Douglas French
    Do it!!! I have one and it's really fun to use. I have some pics in my flickr account below. I LOVE mine!

5. nikki

nikki Mu-43 Regular

Aug 2, 2010
    dublin ireland
    I have uploaded some photos comparing the oly 50mm to the pentax 28mm, (i have them on a gf1 ) and the pentax lenses are coming out sharper every time, maybe you should get a n adapter and try them out!

6. SRHEdD

SRHEdD Mu-43 Top Veteran

Feb 24, 2011
    Viera, Florida USA
    Steve
    ditto

7. fin azvandi

fin azvandi Mu-43 All-Pro

Mar 12, 2011
    South Bend, IN
    I have no experience with any of those lenses, but if the OM and K adapters are not too expensive you might as well get them both - then play around with all the 50mm lenses to see what feels "right" for you before deciding to sell. You can probably resell any lens + adapter pretty easily here and come out even.

8. dapipoy

dapipoy Mu-43 Regular

Mar 31, 2011
    midlands, uk
    bought one on ebay the other day. thinking of getting the canon fd 50mm/1.4 but cant find a good deal. hope this lens wont disappoint.

9. jbuch84

jbuch84 Mu-43 Veteran

Feb 9, 2011
    Orlando, FL
    James
    Did a whole shoot using the oly 1.8, just a good lens really. Site Title

10. dapipoy

dapipoy Mu-43 Regular

Mar 31, 2011
    midlands, uk
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.