1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Zuiko 50mm f 1.8 keep ?

Discussion in 'Adapted Lenses' started by dee, Apr 24, 2011.

1. dee

dee Mu-43 Rookie

Oct 18, 2010
    London Far South
    I have just aquired an Olympus OM10 with very clean 50 f 1.8 for £2.50 .
    I have a Pentax K 50 and various Minolta 50s , f 1.7 and f 1.4 .but have just a Minolta adapter [ actually MD to 39mm plus 39mm to G1 ] at present .
    The Zuiko seems a similar size to the Pentax , with the Minolta lenses being considerably bigger on the G1 .
    I like the forward aperture ring similar to my rangefinder lenses , and it just feels good to me .
    Worth paying out £20 or so for the adapter for just one lense ?
    Or should I put it on e-bay ?
    Thanks
    dee

2. Absolutely (to the adapter, not eBay), but only if you think you want to shoot at that focal length and with a manual focus lens. I don't think that you'll get a cheaper lens that feels as well built as the OM Zuiko 50/1.8. Takes a nice picture too.

3. dee

dee Mu-43 Rookie

Oct 18, 2010
    London Far South
    I actually like using the nom 100mm with the G1 - Summitar / Russian Elmar copy as avatar and several ex-USSR lenses to play with !

I am not so sure with the Minolta MD lenses , though I have been using a 45mm f2 pancake and 35mm f 1.8 on a 4/3rds Panasonic L1 / Leica Digilux 3 , they just don't ... feel balanced on the G1 .

I am Ok using the Pentax K 50mm and K 28mm f 2.8 on my K10d , bought for it's ease with manual lenses ... but somehow , they just don't translate to the G1 ... though I have yet to buy an K adapter .

Maybe it's odd choosing a lens just 'cos it seems Ok with the G1 , but I think that I will go for the OM .

4. emoslaughter

emoslaughter Mu-43 Regular

Apr 9, 2011
    Cleveland Ohio
    Douglas French
    Do it!!! I have one and it's really fun to use. I have some pics in my flickr account below. I LOVE mine!

5. nikki

nikki Mu-43 Regular

Aug 2, 2010
    dublin ireland
    I have uploaded some photos comparing the oly 50mm to the pentax 28mm, (i have them on a gf1 ) and the pentax lenses are coming out sharper every time, maybe you should get a n adapter and try them out!

6. SRHEdD

SRHEdD Mu-43 Top Veteran

Feb 24, 2011
    Viera, Florida USA
    Steve
    ditto

7. fin azvandi

fin azvandi Mu-43 All-Pro

Mar 12, 2011
    South Bend, IN
    I have no experience with any of those lenses, but if the OM and K adapters are not too expensive you might as well get them both - then play around with all the 50mm lenses to see what feels "right" for you before deciding to sell. You can probably resell any lens + adapter pretty easily here and come out even.

8. dapipoy

dapipoy Mu-43 Regular

Mar 31, 2011
    midlands, uk
    bought one on ebay the other day. thinking of getting the canon fd 50mm/1.4 but cant find a good deal. hope this lens wont disappoint.

9. jbuch84

jbuch84 Mu-43 Veteran

Feb 9, 2011
    Orlando, FL
    James
    Did a whole shoot using the oly 1.8, just a good lens really. Site Title

10. dapipoy

dapipoy Mu-43 Regular

Mar 31, 2011
    midlands, uk