Zuiko 50-250 f/5?

Discussion in 'Adapted Lenses' started by jcdoss, Mar 2, 2012.

1. jcdoss

jcdoss Mu-43 Regular

Mar 10, 2011
    Little Rock, Arkansas
    Anyone with experience with this lens?

I'm thinking of picking one up for general purpose telephoto plus macro photography with a close-up diopter. I see anecdotal reports here and there, but see few photos with the lens taken with m43 equipment so far.

I'm considering either this or a 70-210/4 MD, which is less than half the price. Or, if you have any better suggestions, I'm open to hearing them.

Thanks!

2. Declan97

Declan97 Mu-43 Veteran

Feb 3, 2012
    Padang, Indonesia
    I think ned does, hust wait forhim to respond

Sent from my GT-I9100 using EP-L1

3. Ned

Ned Mu-43 Legend

Jul 18, 2010
    Alberta, Canada
    The Zuiko 50-250mm f/5 has a push-pull zoom. You turn the ring to focus, push/pull to zoom. This allows for focus pull along with your zoom in one smooth motion if you can get used to it. Unfortunately, I don't own this lens (though I wish I did) so I don't know how long it would take to really get accustomed to it, but it seems to work quite well!

There is another user here (or on one of the Four-Thirds forums) who has a lot more experience with this lens than I do and is a current owner. I just wish I could remember who it was. I do remember at least, how much he loves this lens. :D

4. mr_botak

mr_botak Mu-43 Veteran

Dec 4, 2011
    Reading, UK
    David
    I've just obtained one... paid a bit more than I'd wanted to, but should arrive end of the week. I'll report back.

• Like Like x 1
  5. sparkin

sparkin Mu-43 Regular

Nov 18, 2010
    Lexington, KY
    In my OM days I had a push-pull 70-210 Vivitar series one. I always found it totally natural and a pleasure to use.

6. Ned

Ned Mu-43 Legend

Jul 18, 2010
    Alberta, Canada
    Can't wait to hear back on your experience, Mr. Botox! =D

7. chasm

chasm Mu-43 Veteran

Mar 2, 2010
    I found the Minolta MD 70-210mm f4 very difficult to use on my GF1 because of the push-pull design - with a SLR you can brace the camera against your face and it works perfectly. Now I've changed over to a G3 I suspect it would work much better - I haven't tried it yet. But unless you have an EVF for your Olympus I suspect you may be in for a bit of frustration.

8. mr_botak

mr_botak Mu-43 Veteran

Dec 4, 2011
    Reading, UK
    David
    Chasm suspect you're right, was thinking it's case of zoom to a length and stick with it. Mostly needed the 250mm.

9. jcdoss

jcdoss Mu-43 Regular

Mar 10, 2011
    Little Rock, Arkansas
    I've had 2-touch zooms for my Nikons and they're fine but I rarely used the focus rings on them. I think a 1 touch zoom, especially in this range, will feel and balance better on the small camera.

I'm thinking now of OM 50-250 vs MD 100-300 now. If the OM wasnt nearly $300, I'd just get both and test them against each other.

10. mr_botak

mr_botak Mu-43 Veteran

Dec 4, 2011
    Reading, UK
    David
    I'll post some samples - should have the lens on Friday and the weekend looks somewhat sunny. Guess I got a bargain - USD300 seems a lot.

11. mr_botak

mr_botak Mu-43 Veteran

Dec 4, 2011
    Reading, UK
    David
    Well the lens arrived on Friday. It's in excellent condition optically, and very good cosmetically. Aperture ring feels a bit tight, but it works fine. A bargain I think.

[​IMG]
    Remind me - I went m4/3 to keep it light and portable?!

It's a beast, 760g and over 30cm long. It will break the mount off the camera without doubt if mishandled. Glad I didn't go with plan B and get the 85-250 which is over 900g.

One touch zoom and focus isn't too much of an issue. At f5 it's pretty slow, not too difficult to focus on the LCD though.

250mm at f5 is fairly sharp, slightly glowy at shorter lengths. f8 and f11 seem best across the range. It is still sharpest at 250, but very usable shorter. Clearly a bright day is best, but some of the samples in the gallery were on a dark overcast morning. ISO400 is required though.

Close focus at 250mm is interesting. Very very hard to focus, and a bit of CA visible at f5, which is gone by f8. Not for a moving subject!

[​IMG]
    "The models are fighting again boss!" 250mm/f11.

[​IMG]
    "I see pigeon. Yummy" 250mm/f5 on a dark morning

[​IMG]
    "About Time" First of the season. 175mm(ish)/f8

More images at Zuiko 50-250 f5 - laohu's Photos

In general I wanted this as an occasional lens to give me more reach. IQ seems very good at f8. I suspect I might apply some matt paint to the inside of the adapter to see if f5 gets better. The weight is not excessive for a lens of this type, but I wouldn't look to carry this lens much. There's the added comedy risk of ripping the mount of the camera with mishandling.

• Like Like x 3