1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Zuiko 50-200SWD.. Finally figuring it out!

Discussion in 'Adapted Lenses' started by bbarnett51, Feb 5, 2016.

1. bbarnett51

bbarnett51 Mu-43 Regular

Jan 23, 2015
    It took me a little while to get used to my new system. I can't over from Canon and bought the EM-1 and 50-200. I had trouble at first but have gotten the setting like I want them on my em1 and love it!
    This lens is sharper than my original Canon 100-400L and equal to the new 100-400l. Plus its a 2.8-3.5
    Here are a few shots from today. All of them are pretty big crops. I LOVE this lens. What a jewel. I got it on ebay for $340 with 2 filters in like new condition. P2050511-1.
    P2050617-1.

P2050910-1. P2050819-1-1.

• Like Like x 9
    • Winner Winner x 2
  2. Phocal

Phocal Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Jan 3, 2014
    I'm glad you got it figured out. It's a great lens, I love mine.

• Like Like x 1
  3. PakkyT

PakkyT Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jun 20, 2015
    New England
    Love mine as well. It is THEE lens that actually kept me in 4/3rds bodies for a lot longer that most. Pen after Pen after Pen came out and then even the E-M5. But because at the time there was no micro-4/3rds equivalent to this lens, I stuck with my E-3. Finally the E-M1 came out and I made the jump. Of course a year+ later they came out with the 40-150 PRO, but the prices for a excellent condition 50-200mm plus the required adapter are still a bargain compared to the 40-150 PRO. And for shots like the one bbarnett51 posted, the extra +50mm reach of the 50-200mm with only 2/3rds stop light loss is hard to beat even by the 40-150 PRO.

• Agree Agree x 1
  4. mattia

mattia Mu-43 Hall of Famer

May 3, 2012
    The Netherlands
    It's a stunning lens - and though slower than the modern pro telephotos it's damn hard to beat in bang for the buck terms.

Word of warning though, it can be a gateway drug to the 150/2.0....

• Funny Funny x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  5. Phocal

Jan 3, 2014
    Which by the way is the most amazing lens I have ever used.

• Agree Agree x 1
  6. PakkyT

PakkyT Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jun 20, 2015
    New England
    Usually with an equally amazing price to match. ;)

B&H has a used copy for only $1500.

7. barry13

barry13 Super Moderator; Photon Wrangler

Mar 7, 2014
    Southern California
    Barry
    There's a 150/2 on eBay from Korea for $1350USD, item #222014536036, and another sold last week for $1200.

8. Phocal

Jan 3, 2014
    $1500 really is not that bad of a price for a lens of this quality. I got mine for that price from B&H (don't remember the rating) but I don't think it had ever been used. There were no scratches on the mount or where the lens hood attaches.

9. mattia

mattia Mu-43 Hall of Famer

May 3, 2012
    The Netherlands
    I bought mine for 1200 euros in more or less pristine condition (glass perfect, few smugdes on the body) from a local store who had it on consignment.

My only hesitation now is whether the schlepp it along on vacation to Indonesia, considering big animals are not the primary focus for the trip...

10. Phocal

Jan 3, 2014
    I love mine for street photography so I would take it. My EM5 w/17mm and EM1 w/150 make the perfect combination. I use the 150 for the compression effect and abstract stuff and the 17 for more typical street.

I carried my big Canon gear all over the world so the weight does not bother me. The 150 is still smaller then trying to carry around a 300/2.8 so I look at it as having a lighter system and could not be happier.

11. Speedliner

Speedliner Mu-43 All-Pro

Mar 2, 2015
    Southern NJ, USA
    Rob
    Oly should make you a visionary Ron.

• Agree Agree x 3
  12. Phocal

Jan 3, 2014
    SSSSHHHHHHH don't tell anyone.........I am actually about to launch a new website and corresponding blog that will have at least weekly post in an attempt to accomplish just that. Already been working on a lot of other things that they want like posting photos on their FB page and I tag them in all my IG photos. I also want to start a YouTube channel with another member here talking about photography in general but from an Olympus shooters perspective. My one question that I can't seem to find an exact answer to is lens use. They state you can only shoot with Olympus gear but I wonder how they feel about the 4/3 lenses. I use and love the SHG glass and in a lot of ways will use it over even the new Pro stuff. I love my 150 and don't see me ever getting rid of it, it is just so amazing in the photos that come from it and it is so versitale. They do need a visionary who is a dedicated wildlife/sports shooter (another reason I am looking at seriously getting back into sports photography, something I did in my Canon days). They have some pro wildlife guys using Olympus but they also shot other gear........they need a dedicated wildlife visionary, especially with the 300 Pro coming out.

:biggrin:

• Like Like x 1
  13. Speedliner

Speedliner Mu-43 All-Pro

Mar 2, 2015
    Southern NJ, USA
    Rob
    I think they need a lift. There is very little on the web regarding best practices with Oly gear. Jamie and Mirrorless, etc... Do some nice things, but there is nothing on the magnitude of a Moose Peterson, or SLRGear, or Matt Granger, etc...

I expect they won't mind you using 4/3 gear that is still available new, but who knows. They need all they can get.

• Agree Agree x 1
  14. Phocal

Jan 3, 2014
    I agree that they do need a lift. They have no visionaries really pushing the gear to the extremes when it comes to wildlife or sports photography. There are pros using the gear for this but they are not dedicated Olympus users and I can understand why, they have to get the job done and until recently µ4/3 has been lacking in some key areas.

When it comes to 4/3 lenses the only lens I honestly seeing myself using a lot is the 150, because it fills a gap in the µ4/3 lens line up. It gives me an effective 300/2.0 and 420/2.8 prime lens that fits in nicely under the effective 600/4 and 840/5.6 from the 300 Pro. I can see where I could want the 300/2.8 and 90-250 for specific uses, but honestly they are to big for my style of photography. I prefer the lighter easier to lug around all day with no tripod type of shooting and the 300/4 and 150/2 really fit that bill. I can throw in the 8mm Fisheye and 60mm Macro and not need anything else in the field.

15. Holoholo55

Holoholo55 Mu-43 All-Pro

Aug 13, 2014
    Honolulu, HI
    Walter
    In their Olympus Anywhere Classroom, their online video lessons, Season 1 featured Jay Dickman using a 50-200 SWD shooting wildlife. Anywhere Classroom | Olympus That was one of the things that convinced me about this lens, plus of course, the sterling examples on this site. :)

• Like Like x 2
  16. Phocal

Jan 3, 2014
    I had forgot about about that episode. He is also a "generalist" and does not specialize on any one type of photography. I use the word generalist because that is what he calls himself in a video I recently watched of a talk he did at B&H.

17. Holoholo55

Holoholo55 Mu-43 All-Pro

Aug 13, 2014
    Honolulu, HI
    Walter
    His video opened up my eyes to the potential of 4/3rds lenses. I had recently picked up the EM1 at that time, and didn't really know about those superb 4/3rds lenses. Then I saw the photos that you and others were getting with these and learned that one could obtain those lenses used at a reasonable price, especially in comparison to the brand new 40-150 Pro and MC14. I was hooked. Thanks to all of you!

Last edited: Feb 8, 2016
    • Agree Agree x 2
  18. Clint

Clint Mu-43 All-Pro

Apr 22, 2013
    San Diego area, CA
    Clint
    Congratulations! It is great to see someone who has put the time and effort into a new system and be rewarded with the results. Maybe your post will inspire others.

All of the 4/3s High Grade/Pro Lenses are a cut above most, and Super High Grade/Top Pro Lenses are some of the best lenses ever made by any manufacturer. Good luck with yours.

• Agree Agree x 2