Zuiko 40-150 + MMF2 adapter bundle deal

Ian_Holmes

Mu-43 Regular
I, like several others of us I expect just got a Spring savings email from Olympus and they are offering the above mentioned lens bundle for $199.99.
Is this a deal worthy of taking up or should I wait for the dedicated Olympus 4/3 zoom to come out?
Perhaps that lens is being delayed and they've put this offer out there instead?

Ian

dannat

Mu-43 Regular
that is a cheap deal.. i already have the 40-150, i just need the adapter - though this package is cheaper than buying it separately.
i might try the pana 45-200 for the little extra length - even though it weighs more

Djarum

Super Moderator
Real Name
Jason
Because I did not want to start a new thread, I will put this here.

I've been really thinking about pulling the trigger on this deal, but there is conflicting reviews about the AF on the Pen for this lens in comparison to the Panny 45-200. Some say focusing is as fast as the OLY standard mFT kit, others say its dog slow. The one's saying its dog slow are comparing it to the Panny which seems to be much faster. I'm really confused. If the AF on the lens is as good as the Oly mFT kit lens, I see no problem with pulling the trigger. But if it is as dog slow as others(dpreview) have said, then I will opt for the panny version.

Anyone have any first hand experiences with both?

dannat

Mu-43 Regular
Djarum - i did get the 45-200 because i wanted to go a little longer than 40-150mm - the AF appears a little variable for the few test shots i took - it appeared to be searching sometimes, though when i fully depressed the image was usually in shar focus though the LCD didn't show this. There was one (out 10) which was just a blurry mess

overall it will be ok - if you have other OLY lenses maybe get the 40-150mm & adapter -if you don't have nay other oly lenses i am happy to stick with the pana (after having the 40-150mm on a oly e series)

Djarum

Super Moderator
Real Name
Jason
Well, I guess I am out of luck. I went to order this bundle from the usual suspects, Adorama, Amazon, JR, and bhphotovideo and they were all out of stock. I then ordered it from 17thstreet, and they appeared to have it in stock but I just got a call saying that their inventory was wrong and they were out of stock.

I guess I will wait for new inventory, if it even comes available. I got the impression from a few vendors that there may have only been a limited number of bundles.

Djarum

Super Moderator
Real Name
Jason
Costco - ZUIKO DIGITAL ED 40-150mm F4.0-5.6 & MMF-2 Lens Adapter

Costco is a wholesale warehouse store that is membership only. They are still taking orders, which means that they have inventory. I ordered the lens and adapter combo, and I'm waiting on notice that it has shipped.

I have a Costco card. I've never ordered from them online, though.

I had placed an order with JR.com, and they were showing as in stock. But I need to call them, because now they are showing out of stock, and they have yet to ship the order after 4 days.

On edit: now they are showing it as backordered on my order. I'm a little irritated, since when I ordered it it was NOT backordered. I realize how these inventory systems work. They don't update them until items have been shipped, so anyone ordering in the back of the queue thinks they have them in stock, in reality they have orders in the front of the queue that subtract from their inventory. Not all companies inventory works like this, some do. I will give costco a shot.

Dj

dave92029

Mu-43 Regular
Got it!

My 40-150mm with MMF-2 adapter bundle arrived yesterday from COSTCO.

I went out to San Diego Wild Animal Park immediately after receiving the lens. My first immprssions: Build quality better than I expected from such an inexpensive lens. Very light and small, even with the adapter attached to the E-PL1.

Very slow AF, makes the 14-42 kit les seem fast! Better at 150mm because the lens seems to start at 150mm and work back towards 40mm trying to find the focus. :eek:

Once the lens finds the focus it is sharp, with good color and resolution. I'm happy with the photos, it's just getting them that is difficult.:rolleyes:

I tried to photograph some of the few remaining spring flowers and had difficulty getting the lens to focus. After looking at the lens I noticed that the lens requires a minimum of 3ft to focus. After stepping back 3 ft the lens focused fine. :wink:

I'm undecided about keeping the bundle. it is very inexpensive for a zoom telephoto, but it only works in good light when the subject has limited movement. I'm unsure if the "value" is worth the restraints of the usage. I'll just have to use it some more to help decide.

Djarum

Super Moderator
Real Name
Jason
My 40-150mm with MMF-2 adapter bundle arrived yesterday from COSTCO.

I went out to San Diego Wild Animal Park immediately after receiving the lens. My first immprssions: Build quality better than I expected from such an inexpensive lens. Very light and small, even with the adapter attached to the E-PL1.

Very slow AF, makes the 14-42 kit les seem fast! Better at 150mm because the lens seems to start at 150mm and work back towards 40mm trying to find the focus. :eek:

Once the lens finds the focus it is sharp, with good color and resolution. I'm happy with the photos, it's just getting them that is difficult.:rolleyes:

I tried to photograph some of the few remaining spring flowers and had difficulty getting the lens to focus. After looking at the lens I noticed that the lens requires a minimum of 3ft to focus. After stepping back 3 ft the lens focused fine. :wink:

I'm undecided about keeping the bundle. it is very inexpensive for a zoom telephoto, but it only works in good light when the subject has limited movement. I'm unsure if the "value" is worth the restraints of the usage. I'll just have to use it some more to help decide.

I will be getting my bundle from Costco in the next day or so.

I have a quick question. Does the adapter come with any caps? I guess I was wondering, if I can keep the adapter attached to the lens semi-permenently, and just cap the mount end and the front of the lens end.

snorkeler

New to Mu-43
Hi there. This offer sounds good.
But please post some examples taken with this telephoto lens :)

et100

Mu-43 Regular
here's a couple:

flickr1024-4020479.jpg
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

<a href="http://www.flickr.com/photos/9507432@N08/4635630192/" title="ready to jump in your face! by jon in chicago, on Flickr">
4635630192_cd75a2af44.jpg
"500" height="375" alt="ready to jump in your face!" /></a>

<a href="http://www.flickr.com/photos/9507432@N08/4620125357/" title="leave me alone... im nodding here by jon in chicago, on Flickr">
4620125357_33e5ee3895_o.jpg
"791" height="1024" alt="leave me alone... im nodding here" /></a>

Latest threads

Top Bottom