1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Zuiko 14-54II or m.zuiko 12-50?

Discussion in 'Adapted Lenses' started by elandel, Jun 7, 2013.

1. elandel

elandel Mu-43 All-Pro

Apr 16, 2010
    Milan, Italy
    Hi all,

I have a question for those users that have used both the 14-54 MKII and/or 12-50.
    I have to decide which one to buy and have many doubts. The IQ of the 14-54MKII I read somewhere is better than the 12-50. Size is not a problem and I wouldn't use it in situations where lighning fast AF is needed. I know that it seems strange but I would use it instead of the standard 14-42 kit lens with the Olympus adapter that I already have.

Can you share your thoughts and experience please?

2. Sammyboy

Sammyboy m43 Pro

Oct 26, 2010
    Steeler Country
    If you plan on getting the forth-comming OMD-PRO, by all means get the 14-54 MKII.

3. elandel

elandel Mu-43 All-Pro

Apr 16, 2010
    Milan, Italy
    I'm planning to get the E-P5. I have the E-pl5 and E-P3.

4. slothead

slothead Mu-43 All-Pro

Aug 14, 2012
    Frederick, MD
    OK Elandel, I have a minor problem with your semantics... You say "I have a question for those users that have used both" and then you use the term "and/or" How can you use "both" and include the term "or?" I have used the 12-50 and am very happy with it (aside from it being a fairly SLOW lens), but I have not even SEEN the 12-54, so I probably can't comment. Correct me if am wrong, but aren't you looking for a comparison between these two lenses?

5. elandel

elandel Mu-43 All-Pro

Apr 16, 2010
    Milan, Italy
    Yes, but what I mean is that not necessarily everyone owns both and maybe there is someone who has a friend that uses one or another and made a comparison.
    For example I have the Olympus 9-18 and a friend of mine has the Sigma 19; I don't use it but we look at each other's photos so I can see the output and if someone asks me I can compare them even if I don't own both.
    So you can own both for a direct comparison, or have one and have seen the results of the other lens without owning it.
    Hope I have cleared the semantic problem.

6. flash

flash Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Apr 29, 2010
    1 hour from Sydney Australia.
    Gordon
    I've owned both.

14-54II
    + sharper at any aperture.
    + faster aperture.
    + better handling, especially zoom ring
    - slow(ish) noisy AF
    - large for a m4/3 lens

12-50
    + smaller ligher.
    + macro
    + wider angle of view
    + powerzoom for video
    + fast AF
    + weathersealed
    - slooooow at the long end
    - not great wide open

Gordon

7. elandel

elandel Mu-43 All-Pro

Apr 16, 2010
    Milan, Italy

Thanks. Which would you use?

8. juangrande

juangrande Mu-43 Top Veteran

Dec 2, 2012
    COLORADO
    Based upon your opening post, the 14-54 mkII hands down. A 1/2 second slower AF and buying an adapter are the only drawbacks. Oh and no macro, but it does close focus well. I've had each. The 14-54 compares well to the 12-35 in terms of aperture and IQ.

9. DaveL

DaveL Mu-43 Regular

Apr 13, 2012
    Rhode Island
    I used the Oly 12-50 briefly as it was bundled with my EM 5. I think it’s a nice lens in that you’ve got a slightly larger zoom range that other kit lenses as well as macro possibilities. Compared to other options, if you want to stay with a m43 zoom, imho the pany 14-45 is a better lens- you lose a bit on both ends wide and tele, but it’s really outstanding for a kit lens.That’s my opinion comparing kit to kit lenses. I think it tends to get overlooked now because it’s an older model and overshadowed by the glamour/seduction of the pany 2.8 12-35.

Anyway, if you don’t need the fast AF and don’t mind the bulk, the Zuiko 14-54 mkII is a MUCH better lens. As others posted, its much sharper and useable wide open down to at least f11, which is hard to find in the current m43 lens line up. If you want to shoot landscapes for example, and want leaves, tree bark with micro contrast and edge to edge sharpness, this is the lens to get. If you shoot in low light, it’s easy enough to assign a dedicated button on the em5 for manual focus or use AF +M function. The lens already focuses pretty close and you can always get an extension tube later if you find you want to get closer.

10. flash

flash Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Apr 29, 2010
    1 hour from Sydney Australia.
    Gordon
    Neither. I bought the Panny 12-35. I still have the 12-50 but only because I might give it to my daughter as I'm planning to get her a camera. It came in the kit with one of my bodies.

But for you, based on the criteria of this thread, definitely the 14-54II.

Gordon

11. Bhupinder2002

Bhupinder2002 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Hi
    I have used both and 14-54 mm ii is the best kit lens. If size is not an issue then 14-54mmII definitely . I planned to sell mine but cancelled . It balances. Very well on OMD with grip.
    Cheers
    Bhupinder

12. elandel

elandel Mu-43 All-Pro

Apr 16, 2010
    Milan, Italy
    Thanks to all for your answers that madr a great clarification on my confused ideas. Just ordered the 14-54MKII

13. elandel

elandel Mu-43 All-Pro

Apr 16, 2010
    Milan, Italy
    Way too expensive for me. So for now I think I'll buy the 14-54 II for a quality lens.

14. elandel

elandel Mu-43 All-Pro

Apr 16, 2010
    Milan, Italy
    Here are some pics with my new 14-54 MKII all jpg SOOC. Just first attempt to try this lens. I must say I already love it.

Attached Files:

15. goldenlight

goldenlight Mu-43 All-Pro

Jan 30, 2010
    Essex
    John
    As you've just found for yourself, you won't be disappointed by the IQ of this lens, but how fast and reliable does it focus (particularly in low light)?

16. elandel

elandel Mu-43 All-Pro

Apr 16, 2010
    Milan, Italy
    In normal light it focuses fast enough for me, and I'm just using it on an E-P3.
    So I'll AF is ok. Just tried it in low light (here it's 9.40 pm) and it focuses fairly fast. For the 5-6 shots I took it did not hunt, but this is no scientific test. It's not dark night obviously but I think I can leave it on camera most of the time. Tomorrow there is a feast in my town and will put it to paces.

17. RDM

RDM Mu-43 All-Pro

I'm having trouble finding any info in this pro camera. Can you provide a link?

18. goldenlight

Jan 30, 2010
    Essex
    John
    It's all speculation, rumour and guesswork at the moment, but there have been strong hints from Olympus for a while now and it's no secret that they are working hard on it. As yet, there is no indication of what form it will take, how large it will be or exactly how they will resolve the focus issues when using traditional (PDAF) Four Thirds lenses. I'm afraid we all need to be patient with this one but hopefully there will be some firmer news later this year. When it does happen there will be no chance of missing the discussion on this site, that's for sure! :biggrin:

19. goldenlight

Jan 30, 2010
    Essex
    John
    Enjoy the feast, I'd be interested in how effective you find the focus at this event (there is no question that the IQ of this lens will be top notch). :smile:

20. elandel

elandel Mu-43 All-Pro

Apr 16, 2010
    Milan, Italy
    Will update after the event.