1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Zuiko 14-54 II

Discussion in 'Adapted Lenses' started by boatman37210, Oct 19, 2012.

1. boatman37210

boatman37210 Mu-43 Regular

Jun 28, 2012
    Thailand
    Ignoring weight and size, would the Zuiko 14-54 II be a better choice than any of the native lenses in that focal range?

Thanks

2. hkpzee

hkpzee Mu-43 All-Pro

Sep 5, 2011
    Hong Kong
    Patrick
    Love the optical qualities of the Zuiko 14-54 II when it nails focus, but as discussed in several other thread on similar topic before, the Zuiko 14-54 II tends to miss focus in poor lighting conditions, whereas a m4/3 zoom like the 12-50 never seems to do that. Some has reported complete inability to nail focus while the camera gives the focus lock confirmation beep, and in my case, it often misses focus by a tiny bit in low light, only noticeable when viewed on a computer screen, but not visible on the camera display (without magnification). Also, AF speed is slower than any native m4/3 zoom in that focal range, probably slightly slower than the 20/1.7 I would say...

If the lens focuses more accurately in various lighting conditions, I would say, yes, it's an excellent choice ignoring the weight and size given the optical quality. However, due to the focus issue, I would hesitate to fully endorse it. I still use it quite a lot, but you have to pay extra attention to whether the image is really in focus or not!

• Like Like x 1
  3. Bhupinder2002

Bhupinder2002 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Hahaah I have ordered one and hopefully will arrive soon. I am intending to use it with OMD and will report soon. Having said that , I think size is a bit disadvantage actually . Lets see when I get it .
    Cheers
    Bhupinder

• Like Like x 1
  4. flash

flash Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Apr 29, 2010
    1 hour from Sydney Australia.
    Gordon
    The focus is adequate, but slow. I never had any issues with missed focus. No more tranny other lens anyway.

In that range it's the only choice, but a great optic. However I think the 12-35 2.8 is the best standard zoom available. I only got mine today but it does seem to be very very good.

Gordon

• Like Like x 1
  5. Ulfric M Douglas

Ulfric M Douglas Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Mar 6, 2010
    Northumberland
    No.
    My 14-54MkI is less sharp in the corners than my Lumix 14-45, and since I have the mZukio 45mm F1.8 I don't really have much to use the 14-54MkI for, so it stays on my 4/3rds bodies.
    Before getting the 45mm it was very good for a decent aperture slow-autofocus zoom on my e-pL1

• Like Like x 1
  6. Declan97

Declan97 Mu-43 Veteran

Feb 3, 2012
    Padang, Indonesia
    I'm using with pen and never get miss focus, in terms of speed I don't think it considered as 'lag af compare with native' as I did several shoot like this

ForumRunner_20121028_080441.

7. hkpzee

hkpzee Mu-43 All-Pro

Sep 5, 2011
    Hong Kong
    Patrick
    I recently did some extensive shootings with the 14-54 Mk II at couple occasions (one is at a dimly-lit restaurant), and am happy to report that by switching face detection off, and using the smallest focus box available, I was able to eliminate the slightly-missed focus issue, although AF was rather slow in the low-light environment...