1. Reminder: Please user our affiliate links to get to your favorite stores for holiday shopping!

Zuiko 14-54/2.8-3.5 MKII zoom on E-P1/2

Discussion in 'Native Lenses' started by inmyeye, Apr 1, 2010.

1. inmyeye

inmyeye Mu-43 Regular

Feb 27, 2010
    Chicago-USA
    I have always been a prime lens guy, but I am considering the Zuiko 14-54/2.8-3.5 MKII zoom for use on my E-P2. Anybody out there using this lens on their E-P1 or E-P2? I am wondering about balance, sharpness etc. Any help or info you can give me is greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance. ( I see I should have put this thread in the "adapted lens" area...my bad.)(moderator move it please if you would)

2. sabesh

sabesh Mu-43 Veteran

I'll be watching this thread. I've been looking into this lens for my E-P2. Thx.

3. et100

et100 Mu-43 Regular

Feb 15, 2010
    Chicago area - USA
    I have the E-PL1 and been using it with 14-54mkII. E-PL1 is lighter but i am still able to handle it just fine. i have a pic of the setup in the gallery.
    Ill take this down if you consider inappropriate since not a direct answer to your question...

[​IMG]

• Like Like x 3
  4. PeterB666

PeterB666 Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jan 14, 2010
    Tura Beach, Australia
    Peter
    Et100, what's the auto focus response and manual focus like?

Cheers

PeterB666

5. et100

et100 Mu-43 Regular

Feb 15, 2010
    Chicago area - USA
    I would say it focuses quite fast even with the poor indoors lighting. The lens does a back and forth around the focusing position and then locks in and beeps. I haven't really needed to use MF since its been finding focus pretty much all the time. The few times it didn't I was pointing it at completely featureless areas but if I move the focus square area on something with some contrast it can focus. When it can't focus it tries throughout the range two times and then gives up.

Since you asked I've just tried the MF and works well with the magnify feature. I find it easy to focus with stationary subjects using the LCD but with moving ones is tricky and you have to predict the direction of the target and try to follow. Maybe if one play with this it gets better...

• Like Like x 1
  6. inmyeye

inmyeye Mu-43 Regular

Feb 27, 2010
    Chicago-USA
    Thank you et100. I have been wondering mostly about balance issues and it would seem that the lens will balance well on the E-P2. The lens is a little big for the E-P2, but since OLY doesn't seem inclined to offer any faster m4/3 zooms (or primes for that matter) I can make use of this one. Most of my photography is outdoors in one form or another so I don't anticipate any AF issues there. As far as MF, it is probably easier to focus with the E-P2 using the EVF.

7. et100

et100 Mu-43 Regular

Feb 15, 2010
    Chicago area - USA
    The 14-54 is heavier than the camera so the balance is shifted forward and i am holding it with both hands: left hand on the lens and right on the grip. When I have the kit lens i can handle it comfortably with one hand but with the 14-54 i feel i need both hands to steady the camera.

As for AF i've compared against the kit and the 14-54 is faster to focus (mostly due the faster motor as the focusing sequence seems quite similar). I have also tested the 50-150mm (second version with CDAF) and this lens is slowest of the three.

One other thing to consider is that E-P2 is heavier than E-PL1 so this may help with balancing.