Zooming (with 14-45)

Discussion in 'Native Lenses' started by Ranger Rick, Apr 7, 2012.

1. Ranger Rick

Ranger Rick Mu-43 Veteran

Apr 11, 2009
    Tempe, AZ
    I'm new to micro 43, but lots of experience with film and digital systems. I got the Panasonic 14-45 as my first zoom for my GH2.

Zooming with this lens is not as smooth as I would have expected, based on previous experience with other system zoom lenses. I find that turning the zoom ring on the lens results in an imprecise/jerky zoom. It's difficult to hone in on the desired final framing. Part of this may be the EVF, but it seems to me that turning the zoom ring itself is not as smooth as I would have expected- it almost feels like it is "sticky". I can't imagine zooming in movie mode and getting a smooth zoom.

Is there something I am missing, or procedure I should be following? Or is this "just the way it is"?

2. dhazeghi

dhazeghi Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Aug 6, 2010
    San Jose, CA
    No, that's not normal. Either it's a manufacturing defect or some dust or grit has worked its way into the zoom mechanism causing it bind. It won't be quite as smooth as a power-zoom lens for video, but the resistance of the zoom ring should be close to constant through the whole range.

• Like Like x 1
  3. Spuff

Spuff Mu-43 Top Veteran

Dec 5, 2010
    Berkshire, UK.
    I found my Panny 100-300 very 'sticky' (big jerks when I tried a small adjustment) and un-smooth compared to my Olympus lenses. And although the Panny still feels sticky and cheap in its action it has got better enough to be able to zoom to where I want. So I think you might just need to wear the Panasonic in. I still wouldn't be able to do a smooth movie zoom though.
    This stickiness was not like some bit of grit in there - it was constant through the zoom range. If you move through the whole range, fine. But when you start to move it gently or for a small adjustment the force required resulted in a larger jerk of movement than you might have wanted.
    It would have only taken one small try in the factory to test this, so I thought it must be inherent to the lens.
  4. dhazeghi

dhazeghi Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Aug 6, 2010
    San Jose, CA
    The 100-300 is (somewhat) known for this. The 14-45 is not. I've used 3 different 14-45s at various points. None have been noticeably stiff.

5. lowincash

lowincash Mu-43 Regular

Mar 6, 2012
    Los Angeles
    Few people over on dpreview told me that the 14-45 zooms pretty smoothly. I had the 14-42 that came with the G3 and that one felt very rough when zooming. They said the 14-45 should be very smooth compared to the 14-42.
  6. addieleman

addieleman Mu-43 All-Pro

Aug 5, 2010
    The Netherlands
    Mine is also not smooth. No dirt in it or whatever, but the mechanism itself seems wrongly designed to me whereby precise and smooth zooming is almost impossible. It was like that from day 1, it hasn't deteriorated much in time. The 45-200's I had were much better in this respect.
  7. DZRhino

DZRhino New to Mu-43

Feb 2, 2012
    San Jose, CA
    I have both 14-42 and 14-45 (14-42 is up for sale). The 14-45 zoom action is extremely smooth and fluid, the 14-42 not so much. Sounds like you have a defective one.
  8. addieleman

addieleman Mu-43 All-Pro

Aug 5, 2010
    The Netherlands
    Looks like my 14-45 is faulty as well concerning the zoom mechanism. I could never describe the zooming action as smooth and precise. Oh well, I'm not going to replace it, won't be the first time I replace a lens only to end up with an optically inferior sample.
  9. F1L1P

F1L1P Mu-43 Veteran

Jan 2, 2010
    Same here.
  10. foxtail1

foxtail1 Science geek & photo nut

Dec 30, 2011
    Southwest Virginia
    I have very smooth zooming with both the 14–45 and the 45–200 mm.

I am interested to hear that the stiffness with the 100–300 is not just my lens. Mine seems to be loosening up with use though.
  11. pcake

pcake Mu-43 Regular

May 3, 2010
    my 14-45 isn't smooth, my 45-200 is smoother zooming.
  12. Al.

Al. Mu-43 Veteran

Jul 3, 2010
    Hull, East Yorkshire, UK
    my 14-45 is silky smooth, I've had it 2 years but can't recall it ever being sticky
  13. Iansky

Iansky Mu-43 All-Pro

Dec 26, 2009
    The Cotswolds, UK
    14-45 smoooooooooooooth

Hmmm - my 14-45 is a nice smooth lens that allows easy capture at all focal lengths - it has just been my well used lens during a visit to India and these images were shot with it without problem.

14. littlehaste

littlehaste New to Mu-43

Jan 4, 2013
    My 14-45 mm lens' zoom ring is stiff and sticks :frown:, especially near wide angle. I can't visualize making videos with it where a zoom is needed. Apparently some people own smooth ones and others have sticky/stiff ones. I wonder-- has anyone with a sticky lens had it serviced for this issue and if so, what did it cost and did it fix the issue? (*thanks*):smile: