1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

zoom & wide manual lens

Discussion in 'Adapted Lenses' started by pika, Aug 8, 2012.

1. pika

pika New to Mu-43

Mar 15, 2012
    hi guy, how r u?
    like u can see, am new here and this is my 1st post.
    I have the PL1 with the kit lens but like any human being am greedy and I want more. can any one recommended a good lens that:
    inexpensive (200% MAX.!!)
    good sharpness.
    manual focus.
    manual aperture (ring) unless if it is not needed and I can control the f with the camera.
    Don't care about the brand.
    I want one zoom and 1 wide.
    Do I asking for much here??
    thank in advance and yes am not native speaker.

2. DeeJayK

DeeJayK Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Feb 8, 2011
    Pacific Northwest, USA
    Keith
    Sounds like you're looking for adapted lens recommendations (cheap, manual focus, etc.). Rather than trying to guess which lenses are best for you, a better way to go is to ask what subjects (landscapes, people, wildlife, etc.) and in what situations (daytime, low light, indoors, etc.) you are wanting to shoot. Once you tell us that, the recommendations you get will be a lot more targeted.

3. pika

pika New to Mu-43

Mar 15, 2012
    oh sr, thank u for ur fast response.

I will use the camera with day light.
    1-am interested in landscapes (and similar fields like architecture ) so i thought that wide lens will be good.
    2-now, what we lost in the wide angle part we gained at the zoom (because the crop factor of the m43) so I like a lens that I can use to isolate the subject that I want by make it fill the frame with zoom (am not talking about macro here).
    thank

4. DeeJayK

DeeJayK Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Feb 8, 2011
    Pacific Northwest, USA
    Keith
    OK, so since you're working in daylight, you don't necessarily need a lens with the widest aperture (which would perform better in low light). For landscapes and architecture you want something wide, and for that you're going to be best served with a native lens (due to the crop factor you mention). Your best bet (given your price range) is the Panasonic 14mm f/2.5 which you can find being sold new (as a breakout from a kit, so without a box) for around US$150-170. This lens is autofocus, however (although you can focus it manually if you choose).

As far as an inexpensive tele lens, your least expensive options there are going to be adapted lenses. If you have some idea of what focal length you're looking for, that will narrow down your options.

If you're looking to "isolate the subject" one way to do this is with shallow depth of field (DOF) which can be achieved by a "fast" (i.e. large aperture) lens. A 50mm f/1.4 can be had for around US$50 (with an adapter adding another $10-30) and it can be very useful as a portrait lens. If you want a zoom or need more range, then you can pick up something like a Vivitar Series 1 70-210mm zoom for less than $20.

5. pika

pika New to Mu-43

Mar 15, 2012
    sr,
    good pick, I like the Vivitar.
    your post was a good help
    thank