Zoom Telephoto for Patagonia Trip

Discussion in 'Native Lenses' started by dohearne, Jan 13, 2015.

1. dohearne

dohearne Mu-43 Regular

Apr 23, 2013
    Vermont, Virginia
    Dave Hearne
    In March I am traveling for a photo workshop in Patagonia. My Oly 12-40/2.8 will probably be my workhorse lens. I am considering renting a zoom telephoto for other shots as the only longer lens I have is the Oly 40-150/4.0-5.6. The 2 primary candidates I have in mind is the new Pro Oly 40-150/2.8 or the Panasonic 35-100/2.8. The Oly has longer reach but the Pany is much smaller. Thoughts on the 2 lenses would be welcome as well as other suggestions. I am trying to minimize my kit as well because on occasion we will be hiking to our locations. BTW, I will be renting a second body.
  2. PacNWMike

PacNWMike Mu-43 All-Pro

Dec 5, 2014
    Salish Sea
    First thing is to minimize the weight. Personally I would not bring more than one extra lens. I find the 40-150 kit lens perfectly adequate, light weight, cheap and expendable if trashed. Another thing is the wind. Blowing gravel is a hazard. You'll want to be careful changing lenses. I think that the 12-40 will be glued on most of the time. The 40-150pro is too short for a wildlife telephoto and not worth the price and weight just for this trip. (I'm not arguing its merits otherwise). For a telephoto I'd go for the 75-300
  3. CiaranCReilly

CiaranCReilly Mu-43 Veteran

Oct 18, 2012
    Ciaran Reilly
    I was as far south as Puerto Madryn in 2013. Brought the Oly 40-150 kit and Panasonic 20 only. I came away with wildlife photos I was happy with from the 40-150, can't post links now as using phone but I've some shots from the trip on my Flickr page. We went on two wildlife trips, one to Punta Tombo to see penguins and one to Punta Ninfas to see elephant seals. Each time, 150mm was enough reach as we got close to the animals and the trips were early in the day so a brighter lens wasn't necessary. So I'd definitely consider just going with your current kit. Enjoy the trip, the part of Patagonia I saw was wonderful!

Sent from my iPhone using Mu-43