1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Zoom lense for E-PL1

Discussion in 'This or That? (MFT only)' started by winrow3745, May 20, 2012.

1. winrow3745

winrow3745 Mu-43 Rookie

Jul 26, 2011
    Hello all,

Since I bought my camera, I have been getting more and more into wildlife photography, I am fortunate to have lots of different birds in the garden that I'd love to get some close up shots of.

So looking for any recommendations on the best lense to get and whether there would be any bargains to be had if I move from the usual micro four thirds candidates.

Cheers,

Andy.

2. EP1-GF1

EP1-GF1 Mu-43 Veteran

Apr 12, 2011
    You're in the UK right?

Until the end of the month Panasonic are doing a £50 rebate on lenses. Amazon.co.uk have the 45-200mm for £225 which, at £175 after the rebate, is a pretty good deal. Just make sure you get it direct from Amazon and not from a reseller unless you know for sure it's UK stock and eligible for the rebate. The claim process is dead easy and can be done online. I've done it three times recently <cough>.

The other reasonably priced option is the Olympus 40-150mm. SRS Microsystems have unboxed (split from kits) versions for £159.00 delivered via their ebay store.

Apart from the difference in focal length, the main difference seems to be that the Panasonic has image stabilisation built it. Since it has a switch for this, it will work with Olympus cameras. Panasonic lenses without a switch won't have OIS on Olympus cameras but you can use the camera IS instead. The Olympus is quite a bit smaller lighter too. I considered both but ended up buying the Olympus 14-150 instead.

Just to add, if you're comfortable with manual focus there are loads of cheap options but I can't think that they would be easy to handle - zoom ring + focus ring = not my idea of fun.

3. Spuff

Spuff Mu-43 Top Veteran

Dec 5, 2010
    Berkshire, UK.
    I tried a couple of legacy zooms on my EPL1 and gave up with that whole game. There are certainly better quality zooms in the camera world - but they are way more expensive than the native zooms.

4. mowog6000

mowog6000 Mu-43 Regular

Mar 2, 2012
    Oregon City Oregon
    Pat bailey
    The whole point of m43 is being able to use legacy lenses I bought a almost mint Tamron 70~210mm lens for $29 at a thrift store so that is a 420mm 35 equivalent I have been taking pictures for almost 50 years and find it funny the younger generation has a problem with manual focus or manually simply turning a zoom ring We used to have to turn the fstops to match two needles, focus ,zoom before we took a picture or if we were doing something that required speed to preset everything I say go buy some cheap 35 zooms and have fun!

5. EP1-GF1

EP1-GF1 Mu-43 Veteran

Apr 12, 2011
    But you didn't have much of a choice back then did you :smile:

And I don't think old lenses are the whole point of m43 for everyone.

I don't disagree about it being possible to manual focus with a zoom but especially with moving subjects (like animals) the added hassle and often added weight just doesn't make sense to me. I'm all for shorter legacy primes and manual focusing though and I'm quite good at it - and I'm not that young either!

6. mowog6000

mowog6000 Mu-43 Regular

Mar 2, 2012
    Oregon City Oregon
    Pat bailey
    Being retired without a big wallet m4/3 has made photography fun again and I can get a nice combo of lenses at a price I can afford. I had a Lumix with a zoom autofocus and hated it I didn't want to focus with a little button nor set my aperture that way. To me doing it by hand the old way seems natural. To each his own My advice to Winrow is to try a legacy zoom and see if he likes it ,he can get one for 1/10th the price of a native lens
    also getting a fixed fl is a good idea too, they are cheaper lighter and faster I bought a 135 mm lens for $15 at Goodwill

7. usayit

usayit Mu-43 Hall of Famer

If you go legacy manual lenses, don't go with zooms. Zoom lens designs (except for a very few examples) really were not that great until the late 80s....

Once you are willing to work with long primes of various mounts, there is a whole world of examples to try out. Takumar SMC, Pentax, and Tamron Adaptalls have all proven examples in their lines. I found it necessary to have at least 300mm with a powerful flash + better beamer for fill and background separation.

8. mowog6000

mowog6000 Mu-43 Regular

Mar 2, 2012
    Oregon City Oregon
    Pat bailey
    True but since the m4/3 has a sensor 1/2 the size of a 35mm only the center of the lens is hitting the sensor and I would think have better IQ than the same zoom on a 35mm. I seem to remember the problem with the early zooms was fall off on the edges. I got a nice sharp super moon photo with the 70~210 Tamron.

9. Spuff

Spuff Mu-43 Top Veteran

Dec 5, 2010
    Berkshire, UK.
    I think that's one of the ones I tried, and my moon with it just wasn't to my satisfaction. It wasn't until my 100-300 that I could get a moon that started to please me.
    (I may have used the term legacy lens wrongly)
    This isn't to say that a cheaper non-m43 zoom lens might be of use to some people, especially if you're sitting in your house-hide and not having to lug it about and can pre-focus on a feeder or something.

10. winrow3745

winrow3745 Mu-43 Rookie

Jul 26, 2011
    The offer on the Panasonics is a top tip and I have had a look at those, but this might sound bad. But I really hate the look at the 200mm lense on my camera. I think I will try and get a deal on the Olympus. I have emailed SRS to see if they have any of the 150mm in black. As my e-pl1 is black.

11. EP1-GF1

EP1-GF1 Mu-43 Veteran

Apr 12, 2011
    Sounds good. My Olympus 14-150mm arrived half an hour ago and I'm just amazed at how small and light it is - it's like a slightly longer Panasonic 14-45mm. It feels (and looks) much better on my E-P3 than the Panasonic 14-140mm does.

I know I'm giving up OIS but for a walkaround "holiday" lens the Panasonic is far too heavy and unbalanced on a smaller camera.

With the 40-150mm I think you'll be very happy. I hope SRS can help you get one.