Zoom lens to complement the 20mm?

Discussion in 'Panasonic Cameras' started by amberzombie, Apr 25, 2011.

1. amberzombie

amberzombie Mu-43 Rookie

Oct 28, 2010
    Howdy folks

I've had my GF1 with 20mm for nearly a year now, and have been slowly and steadily honing my skills, both using the camera and through PP.

At the moment I take a lot of street shots and mostly of my 2 year old boy, so the 20mm works fine. But for certain shots I find that I have to crop the shot to get the exact look that I want, since the 20mm doesn't do zoom.

Just wondering if you guys get by using cropping? Or do you insist on a zoom lens for a certain shot?

If I do want to get a Panny zoom lens that will complement the 20mm which will it be? the 14-45mm? or the 45-200mm?
  2. ~tc~

~tc~ Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Oct 22, 2010
    Houston, TX
    The problem is all the zooms are considerably "slower" (smaller aperture) - at least for now.

The 45-200 is cheap and gives you a lot more reach - maybe not so big a deal for your kind of photography. Image quality is OK - can be excellent with attention to detail at time of capture.

The other alternative is the PL45/2.8. Excellent image quality, plus macro/close focus ability.

Of course, moving closer to the subject is cheaper...
  3. Linh

Linh Mu-43 All-Pro

Apr 14, 2009
    Maryland, US
    If you shoot a lot of street, then I'd say grab a 14-45 (or 14-42). That's my current combo along w/ a Super Tak 50 I use on occasion.

I don't see my kit changing at all unless I see a relatively affordable <12 and 40/45 pancake primes, heh. Or, alternatively, a 12-40ish constant f2.8 zoom.
  4. dixeyk

dixeyk Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Aug 9, 2010
    I've have the 14-45 and I can verify that it is quite good. It's my understanding that it is better than the 14-42 but I don't have the 14-42 to compare to.
  5. Pan Korop

Pan Korop Mu-43 Veteran

Mar 31, 2011
    Phare Ouest
    So you've honed your skills with a fast prime lens. Just for the sake of keeping the benefits of this good apprenticeship, I'd suggest getting the PL 45/2.8, and keep your legs do the zooming for the rest of that perfect framing...

If the PanaLeica prime 45mm seems too expensive, you could consider a "legacy" 40 to 50 mm fast or "pancake" lens with an adapter. Trade-off is you'll loose the autofocus with this option.