Zoom lens to complement the 20mm?

Discussion in 'Panasonic Cameras' started by amberzombie, Apr 25, 2011.

1. amberzombie

amberzombie Mu-43 Rookie

Oct 28, 2010
    Howdy folks

I've had my GF1 with 20mm for nearly a year now, and have been slowly and steadily honing my skills, both using the camera and through PP.

At the moment I take a lot of street shots and mostly of my 2 year old boy, so the 20mm works fine. But for certain shots I find that I have to crop the shot to get the exact look that I want, since the 20mm doesn't do zoom.

Just wondering if you guys get by using cropping? Or do you insist on a zoom lens for a certain shot?

If I do want to get a Panny zoom lens that will complement the 20mm which will it be? the 14-45mm? or the 45-200mm?

2. ~tc~

~tc~ Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Oct 22, 2010
    Houston, TX
    The problem is all the zooms are considerably "slower" (smaller aperture) - at least for now.

The 45-200 is cheap and gives you a lot more reach - maybe not so big a deal for your kind of photography. Image quality is OK - can be excellent with attention to detail at time of capture.

The other alternative is the PL45/2.8. Excellent image quality, plus macro/close focus ability.

Of course, moving closer to the subject is cheaper...

3. Linh

Linh Mu-43 All-Pro Subscribing Member

Apr 14, 2009
    Maryland, US
    If you shoot a lot of street, then I'd say grab a 14-45 (or 14-42). That's my current combo along w/ a Super Tak 50 I use on occasion.

I don't see my kit changing at all unless I see a relatively affordable <12 and 40/45 pancake primes, heh. Or, alternatively, a 12-40ish constant f2.8 zoom.

4. dixeyk

dixeyk Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Aug 9, 2010
    I've have the 14-45 and I can verify that it is quite good. It's my understanding that it is better than the 14-42 but I don't have the 14-42 to compare to.

5. Pan Korop

Pan Korop Mu-43 Veteran

Mar 31, 2011
    Phare Ouest
    So you've honed your skills with a fast prime lens. Just for the sake of keeping the benefits of this good apprenticeship, I'd suggest getting the PL 45/2.8, and keep your legs do the zooming for the rest of that perfect framing...

If the PanaLeica prime 45mm seems too expensive, you could consider a "legacy" 40 to 50 mm fast or "pancake" lens with an adapter. Trade-off is you'll loose the autofocus with this option.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.