zoom lens advice/suggestions

Discussion in 'Native Lenses' started by pcake, May 15, 2013.

1. pcake

pcake Mu-43 Regular

May 3, 2010
    i don't have very steady hands. since i've been using panasonics or a NEX up until a few days ago, i've been shooting with stabilized lenses or tripods at below 1/100 or sometimes even 1/150.

i've been using my new E-PM2 with the kit lens, and last night i tried it with some legacy lenses. my success rate with the heavier legacy lenses wasn't high even with IBIS (canon FD 50 f/1.4 and canon FD 35 f/2), and i had to REALLY work to get the few that came out. i had better success with the lighter c mount lenses, but still underwhelming as around 60% came out sharp.

i was interested in the oly 40-150 lens, not just because of its price but because of its lightness and the fact that i often read oly cameras focus a little faster and correct for oly lenses. my concern is that the IBIS may not be strong enough to counteract my shaky hands. thoughts?

then there are 2 panasonic lenses i'm also considering - the 45-150 and the 45-175, which seems pretty neat overall. i'm wondering how bad the lack of in-camera correction is with these lenses. anyone use either of them on an oly who doesn't do much processing?

2. juangrande

juangrande Mu-43 Top Veteran

Dec 2, 2012
    COLORADO
    I don't think the epm2 has the 5 directional IBIS that the OMD has, and therefore not as good. Maybe try the 45-150 and use the in-lens OIS on it. You'd have to turn off the IBIS on your camera to activate the OIS, I think. With telephoto lenses, the EVF comes in handy in creating a more stable posture. Holding your arms out and looking at the LCD is conducive to shake.

3. sammaritan12

sammaritan12 Mu-43 Regular

Dec 17, 2012
    I know you don't do much post-processing but if you do decide to post process I recommend Adobe After Effects Warp Stabilizer. This is a godsend but to maximise it's potential turn off IBIS. IBIS for video is digital (apart from E-P5 and OMD) and it does create a jello wobble that you can't really fix in post.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.