zoom lens advice/suggestions

Discussion in 'Native Lenses' started by pcake, May 15, 2013.

1. pcake

pcake Mu-43 Regular

May 3, 2010
    i don't have very steady hands. since i've been using panasonics or a NEX up until a few days ago, i've been shooting with stabilized lenses or tripods at below 1/100 or sometimes even 1/150.

i've been using my new E-PM2 with the kit lens, and last night i tried it with some legacy lenses. my success rate with the heavier legacy lenses wasn't high even with IBIS (canon FD 50 f/1.4 and canon FD 35 f/2), and i had to REALLY work to get the few that came out. i had better success with the lighter c mount lenses, but still underwhelming as around 60% came out sharp.

i was interested in the oly 40-150 lens, not just because of its price but because of its lightness and the fact that i often read oly cameras focus a little faster and correct for oly lenses. my concern is that the IBIS may not be strong enough to counteract my shaky hands. thoughts?

then there are 2 panasonic lenses i'm also considering - the 45-150 and the 45-175, which seems pretty neat overall. i'm wondering how bad the lack of in-camera correction is with these lenses. anyone use either of them on an oly who doesn't do much processing?

2. juangrande

juangrande Mu-43 Top Veteran

Dec 2, 2012
    COLORADO
    I don't think the epm2 has the 5 directional IBIS that the OMD has, and therefore not as good. Maybe try the 45-150 and use the in-lens OIS on it. You'd have to turn off the IBIS on your camera to activate the OIS, I think. With telephoto lenses, the EVF comes in handy in creating a more stable posture. Holding your arms out and looking at the LCD is conducive to shake.

3. sammaritan12

sammaritan12 Mu-43 Regular

Dec 17, 2012
    I know you don't do much post-processing but if you do decide to post process I recommend Adobe After Effects Warp Stabilizer. This is a godsend but to maximise it's potential turn off IBIS. IBIS for video is digital (apart from E-P5 and OMD) and it does create a jello wobble that you can't really fix in post.