Zoom in for manual focus on E-PM1?

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by MSnap, Apr 27, 2013.

1. MSnap

MSnap Mu-43 Regular

Apr 27, 2013
    Hi all

I'm trying to figure out how best to use manual focus on the E-PM1.

Currently I have it on SAF-MF, which means I have to push the shutter button part way, then manual focus. But it doesn't zoom in when I do this.

Neither of my lenses have AF/MF switches. Both are focus by wire.
    Does anyone have a suggestion for how to best set up manual focus?

2. chasm

chasm Mu-43 Veteran

Mar 2, 2010
    My E-PM1 does zoom in on SAF-MF, so I suspect there must be a box somewhere you haven't ticked! Presumably you've enabled access to all levels of the various menus?
  3. Low-fi

Low-fi New to Mu-43

Feb 25, 2013
    Hi MSnap,

Yes, you can set up the E-PM1 to automatically zoom when you turn the focus ring of native lenses.

If you haven't already, enable the Custom "gears" menu (press Menu button, go to the "wrench" menu, select the Menu Display option with the gears icon next to it and choose "On").

Now go to the gears icon, and select Custom menu "A" labelled AF/MF. Scroll down to MF Assist, select it and choose "On". Voila!

If you plan on using any legacy lenses, I highly recommend changing the record button function to zoom rather than video capture. This is found in Custom menu "B", under Button Function. I use it every time to check focus with my old MF lenses, it's a LOT easier!