Zoo shooting help

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by janelux, Jan 28, 2016.

1. janelux

janelux Mu-43 Regular

Dec 20, 2015
    Clearwater, Florida
    Jane
    I'm shooting this weekend at the zoo with my OMD E-M10 and the 40-150 kit lens.
    Have been advised to shoot at F4 to make the barriers invisible. Has anyone has any luck doing this? Any suggestions as to best settings?

Thanks for any help. New to micro 4/3 and LOVING it!! This forum and you all inspire me!

Jane

2. esnift

esnift Mu-43 Veteran

Mar 17, 2013
    Boston, MA
    Dan
    I think the advice of shooting at f4 to make the barriers disappear probably applies to a 135mm sensor size. At F4 with a larger sensor and longer focal length, you will have enough shallow depth of field flexibility to make the background and/or foreground obstacles fade away. On m4/3 however, you have twice the depth of field due to the smaller sensor and will get more elements in focus at the same F-stop. You will need F2 to get the same blurring effect which the kit zoom does not do (or any of the m/43 zooms for that matter). You'd need a fast prime like the 75mm 1.8

Framing your subject with the most distance between it and the barrier will help you blur it out of prominence, but it is comparatively more difficult to achieve that effect with m4/3rds. If anyone else has had success isolating the subject at F4 in zoo environments, please add your experience and feel free to correct me ;)

This doesn't mean you can't get great shots with you lens though. You might just have to be a bit more creative and resourceful to get what you're looking for. Good luck:2thumbs:

3. b_rubenstein

b_rubenstein Mu-43 All-Pro

Mar 20, 2012
    Melbourne, FL
    For the barriers to become invisible, not only is a large aperture needed, but you also have to be very close to the barriers so they are way out of focus. Shooting with a 75/1.8 wide open, it only makes barriers not too intrusive.

• Agree Agree x 1
  4. janelux

janelux Mu-43 Regular

Dec 20, 2015
    Clearwater, Florida
    Jane
    Thanks so much for replies, esnift and b_rubenstein.

5. Petrochemist

Petrochemist Mu-43 Top Veteran

Mar 21, 2013
    N Essex, UK
    Mike
    Barriers are frequently an issue in motorsports too. I've managed several shots though chain fence where the links aren't too obvious but very few where they can't be seen at all. I've been lucky at one circuit in finding a spot where there was a hole in the fencing just big enough to slip the lens through, that helped immensely.
    As mentioned above wide apertures & getting as close to the barrier as possible helps, - as do longer focal lengths, especially if the subject is further away... It's all about controlling DOF so the location of the fence is sufficently OOF. Often even wide open, & withthe lens resting on the mesh of the fence it's still visible. I'll see if I can add some examples tonight.

6. janelux

janelux Mu-43 Regular

Dec 20, 2015
    Clearwater, Florida
    Jane
    Thanks, Petrochemist!

7. gryphon1911

gryphon1911 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Mar 13, 2014
    Central Ohio, USA
    Andrew
    If you do not have a fast lens, the next best thing to do is get as close to the barriers as possible - at least be close to the point that you are closer than the closest focusing distance of the lens.

This will help minimize the appearance of the barrier, and it will help the camera not get caught up so much on trying to focus on the barrier.

If getting that close is not an option, you'll need to consider using manual focus if the camera is hell bent on focusing on the barrier.

8. janelux

janelux Mu-43 Regular

Dec 20, 2015
    Clearwater, Florida
    Jane
    Thanks, gryphon1911......Some barriers I will be able to actually rest the lens on, but others will be further away.

9. janelux

janelux Mu-43 Regular

Dec 20, 2015
    Clearwater, Florida
    Jane
    Thanks, Giles

10. Petrochemist

Petrochemist Mu-43 Top Veteran

Mar 21, 2013
    N Essex, UK
    Mike
    You're welcome! Here are the examples I could find;

This one was through chain link which was quite a way from me - the diamond pattern shows on the plain areas of the car (It was probably helpped by panning with the car):
    18361120015_8b9b8a0b90_b. Monaco F1 -Close Pastor's Lotus by Mike Kanssen, on Flickr

This one was static but I think I had the lens right against the fence - again diamond pattern visible on the sand:
    5170298794_83afeb6614_b. Stig gets stuck by Mike Kanssen, on Flickr

Most of my zoo shots were through windows, but I think this one was through a fence. More fencing covers the background & I couldn't loose that at all :( :
    6037971030_df115c75ce_b. vulture IMGP1337 by Mike Kanssen, on Flickr

• Like Like x 1
  11. janelux

janelux Mu-43 Regular

Dec 20, 2015
    Clearwater, Florida
    Jane
    Thanks so much, Mike!! For this trip, I think I'm going to use my Canon Rebel T6s and my 70-300mm lens. But I will definitely try this with my Olympus soon.