Zion Nat Park - HDR black and white (my first)

Discussion in 'Black and White' started by TucsonLawrence, Oct 21, 2014.

1. TucsonLawrence

TucsonLawrence Mu-43 Regular

Jul 24, 2013
    Tucson
    Lawrence Richards
    14976606413_3a80c15ecb_o. P1450355b-1 by ldr_klr, on Flickr

This was my first HDR black and white photo- +/- 3 using the camera (GH3) on a tripod to create the HDR photo. I used an Olympus 12-50 with a polarizer filter. Location is Zion national park.

I understand the "clicheness" of centered subjects, but after trying several other layouts with non-hdr photos this was the look I liked most (which is unusual for me)

I'd love any comments or constructive critiques (and both have thick skin and am VERY aware that I am very much a beginner at photography)

Thanks for looking
    Lawrence

• Like Like x 8
  2. OzRay

OzRay Mu-43 Legend

Jan 29, 2010
    South Gippsland, Australia
    Ray, not Oz
    It's a good shot, but I think it just lacks a bit of punch, it appears somewhat flat on my screen. Of course, much has to do with personal preference, but I prefer B&W landscapes to be striking. I did a quick and dirty with Perfect Effect 8 and that shot came out pretty damn good.

• Like Like x 1
  3. Aushiker

Aushiker Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Sep 12, 2014
    Fremantle, Western Australia
    Andrew
    I agree. I like the composition but it just does not jump out at me. Would love to see OzRay's post processing.

Andrew

4. OzRay

OzRay Mu-43 Legend

Jan 29, 2010
    Ray, not Oz
    I saved the image, but would need the OP's permission to post.

• Like Like x 1
  5. TucsonLawrence

Jul 24, 2013
    Tucson
    Lawrence Richards
    Yes please!

6. OzRay

OzRay Mu-43 Legend

Jan 29, 2010
    Ray, not Oz
    OK. What I did in Perfect Effects was first use the HDR Look feature using the natural setting to boost things a tad, then added Dynamic Contrast (natural setting) and finally used the adjustment brush to darken the sky and the trees in the foreground to create three levels of brightness in the scene. Note that it was a quick and dirty, so there was no finesse used with any of the effects, but the image has a lot of potential.

14976606413_3a80c15ecb_o.

I'm not sure if everyone sees the photo full size or not. On my screen it posts in a reduced size, but clicking on the image expands it fully, so that it's easier to see the differences.

14976606413_3a80c15ecb_o.

• Like Like x 6
  7. randyspan

randyspan Mu-43 Veteran

May 24, 2014
    New Hampshire, USA
    Randy Spann
    I liked the original best. stunning!

8. hazwing

hazwing Mu-43 All-Pro

Nov 25, 2012
    Australia
    I prefer the contrast in ozray's rendition... Might be because it's a quick and dirty editted jpg, but there are some distracting artefacts.

9. TucsonLawrence

Jul 24, 2013
    Tucson
    Lawrence Richards
    Thanks OzRay for showing me what is possible with a little post-processing - I understand that your effort was quick and done with my little jpeg that I posted here and comprehend that there would be much less noise etc. if you'd used the original.

I like the idea of playing with the contrasts individually a bit more and can certainly see where seperate RAW files would benefit me versus just pumping a JPEG out of the camera (which is what I did in this case)

Lawrence

10. OzRay

OzRay Mu-43 Legend

Jan 29, 2010
    Ray, not Oz
    All I was really trying to illustrate was how the image could be made punchier and more dramatic with a little adjustment. While some might like the original, much depends on the viewer's monitor calibration, mine is calibrated, so the original lacked a lot of contrast and depth.

• Like Like x 1