1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Zhongyi/Mitakon 25mm F0.95 Pancake lens!

Discussion in 'Micro 4/3 News and Rumors' started by hazwing, Sep 8, 2015.

1. hazwing

hazwing Mu-43 All-Pro

Nov 25, 2012
    Australia
    • Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  2. bigboysdad

bigboysdad Mu-43 All-Pro

Aug 25, 2013
    Sydney/ London
    1) That seems too good to be true. Looks fantastic.
    2) I wish they'd do one for a 17.5mm FL.

3. broody

broody Mu-43 Veteran

Sep 8, 2013
    It's not a pancake, rather it's the same size of the 25mm Zuiko. Those preview pictures look very promising.

4. agentlossing

agentlossing Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Jun 26, 2013
    Andrew Lossing
    That sounds fishy to me. Seems like it would defy the laws of physics. Here's hoping though!

5. tkbslc

tkbslc Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Not really.

It needs a 26mm aperture. That's barely wider than an inch
    It needs a 25mm focal length, and the flange distance is already 19mm. So technically it could be a 6mm thin lens if it used a simple design
    It needs no electronics or AF motor, so it doesn't need any extra space besides MF/Aperture ring controls.

I think it could be as small as the 20mm f1.7 and not defy the laws of physics

Some of Zonghyi's other lenses are very good and some(most?) are crap. So I'll reserve my excitement until I see price and some samples. Their 42.5mm f1.2 is not very good compared to the voigtlander (Admittedly it is much cheaper).

If this lens is dreamy soft wide open, then focus peaking doesn't work well.

6. agentlossing

agentlossing Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Jun 26, 2013
    Andrew Lossing
    Thanks for the technical explanation... Which leads to my next question... Why don't more manufacturers make more of these pancake sized lenses for us???

• Agree Agree x 1
  7. BLT

BLT Mu-43 Regular

Jan 13, 2013
    London
    James
    This lens is supper exciting!

8. Mellow

Mellow Mu-43 All-Pro

Aug 27, 2010
    Florida or Idaho
    Tom
    Maybe. I saw the photo too, but it wasn't clear whether the front of the lens had been extended or not. Is it possible it's a collapsing design like the 12-32mm Panny zoom?

9. jyc860923

jyc860923 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Feb 28, 2012
    Shenyang, China
    贾一川
    I'll be very surprised if they adopt the collapsed design

10. jyc860923

jyc860923 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Feb 28, 2012
    Shenyang, China
    贾一川
    price is to be around $400:clapping:

Warning: The lens does not work with EM5 or some other older Olympus model, EP5 is fine though. Apparently there is a extra something near the shutter in the older models that will block the rear element of the lens. One can modify it, as Dr. Liu did. I don't know what the side effect(s) are.

those above are quoted from a comment below the post

11. tkbslc

• Funny Funny x 2
  12. Halaking

Halaking Mu-43 Top Veteran

Dec 17, 2012
    Los Angeles
    Morris
    I thought Olympus going to have 1.0 pro prime lenses coming?

13. hazwing

hazwing Mu-43 All-Pro

Nov 25, 2012
    Australia
    hmm... your right, doesn't look like a pancake at all. Still not too big on a EM5, but now less attractive

290384_1441593225.

14. tkbslc

That's tiny for a 25mm 0.95 though. See the voigtlander 25mm on same camera:

R1010008.JPG

I'm guessing the manufacturer said it will be very compact for it's speed and it ran through the grapevine and came out the other end as "pancake".

• Agree Agree x 1
  15. broody

broody Mu-43 Veteran

Sep 8, 2013
    That'll be the price in China. MSRP in the US will be $500 according to 43rumors, which isn't bad at all. I own the PL25, but I'm interested in it due to being smaller and a stop faster.

16. tkbslc

Why would it be so much cheaper than 35mm 0.95?

Will it be reasonably sharp and focusable below f1.4? The Panasonic is sharp even wide open.

17. MRM

MRM Mu-43 Regular

Jun 9, 2013
    Seattle, WA
    Matt
    the 35 0.95 covers a bigger sensor so it needs more glass and possibly a more complex design. Also they have probably done some research about price and found the sub 500 price point to be the best for this lens. This company is very hit or miss with their fast lenses but if it close to the other .95 MFT lenses it will be a hit. I have been waiting for this lens ever since they hinted about it last year. not only is it a small very fast lens but the manual lens with all metal body goes well with the retro look of the em5 ii that i desire some times. some might say who cares what a camera and lens looks like but when you are doing street photography people are more receptive when they think you have a retro film camera vs a modern dslr.

18. Ian.

Ian. Mu-43 All-Pro

Mar 13, 2013
    Munich
    Ian
    Mmmmm. Pancake for supper.

• Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  19. bredman

bredman Mu-43 Veteran

May 30, 2013
    Sherwood Forest
    Pete
    Chinese whispers!

• Like Like x 1
  20. Ulfric M Douglas

Ulfric M Douglas Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Mar 6, 2010
    Northumberland
    Would that invold sticking the whirring spiky end of my Dremel into my camera?