1. Reminder: Please user our affiliate links to get to your favorite stores for holiday shopping!

Zhongyi Lens Turbo II + Helios 44-2 & Samyang 10mm 2.8

Discussion in 'Adapted Lenses' started by Timur, Mar 29, 2016.

1. Timur

Timur Mu-43 Regular

Nov 10, 2015
    Timur
    Bought the LTII few weeks ago to use with the Samyang 10mm 2.8, but since I got a EF to m43, I've been able to adapt my helios lens to it as well via a simple m42 to EF ring. I need to test the sharpness more when I'll get a second ring for the helios 44k-4 sometime this week, plus with the samyang, but I wanted to share some photos anyway. I think it sharpened up the Helios image a little bit, and I'm pretty sure dof is more shallow (I'll need to compare dof with the standard adapter and the LRII). I took few shots side by side with the helios and my oly 45, and dof seems very similar, maybe a tiny bit more shallow for the helios. Samyang is very sharp in the center, and falls off a bit on the sides, but I will need to test more with a tripod and different f stops to see. It feels usable to me personally.

Samyang 10mm 2.8

EM180205-Edit-2.
    EM180209-2.
    Helios 44-2
    EM190215-2.
    EM190219-2.
    EM190257-Edit-2.
    EM190267-2.

Last edited: Mar 29, 2016
    • Like Like x 4
  2. ijm5012

ijm5012 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Oct 2, 2013
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Ian
    In the first image, the one with the boat, is the vignetting that's present because you added it in post, or is that because the lens was designed for an APS-C sensor, and the LT2 is intended for FF lenses?

I'd be interested to see how the light fall-off changes with aperture (so maybe wide open, f/4, 5.6, 8, and 11), as well as how sharp it is across the frame. It becomes a 7.5mm f/2 lens, and that's really nice.

Another question I have is, what's the weight of the combo (10mm & LT2)?

3. Timur

Timur Mu-43 Regular

Nov 10, 2015
    Timur
    Vignetting is added in post, but it does vignette a bit at 2.8. Goes away at f8, where I believe a sweet point is in terms of corner sharpness.

It's a pretty heavy combo for a mft system to be honest, plus I use a battery grip to balance out the weight of the lens, which adds to it as well. It actually feels like a dslr with a L prime attached to it in terms of weight. Samyang is 590g, and LRII is 140g.

I'll try to do some testing on a tripod when I have some free time, although I've never done it before and I do not have any proper measurement charts (come to think of it, I'll probably be able to download them off the Web and print them out). I quite like the combo myself, and I don't mind the weight too much.

4. ijm5012

ijm5012 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Oct 2, 2013
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Ian
    @Timur@Timur, when you say "it vignettes @ 2.8 but is gone by 8", do you mean the values on the aperture ring, or actual aperture values accounting for the increase in speed (so 2.8 on the aperture ring becomes 2.0, 8 on the aperture ring becomes 5.6, etc.)?

As for the testing, I don't need someone to shoot test charts (after all, I don't take pictures of test charts so why do I care how they look?). I'm just talking about a real-world scene where we can evaluate center, edge, and corner performance for sharpness as well as vignetting. I'd certainly appreciate your efforts, as it would help to evaluate just how good this combo is for an UWA, moderately fast prime.

5. Timur

Timur Mu-43 Regular

Nov 10, 2015
    Timur
    I was going by the numbers labeled on the lens, so at maximum aperture it does vignette (as described in proper reviews say at lenstrip), but by f8 (on the lens) it's almost disappears. Also, since LR has samyang profiles now, it's fairly easy to correct any vignetting (and distortion) at any aperture, so I don't really see it as an issue. What I really will try to test is the corner sharpness, hopefully within the next few days. At a glance, extreme corners are soft-ish even at high apertures (which is true for all apsc UWA lenses I checked, and I checked a lot of reviews before I got this lens, Tokinas, Sigmas, Canons, Nikons, Tamron etc etc), so maybe if the extreme corner sharpness is important to you, a more expensive native lens would be a better fit (I think both panasonic and olympus corners are pretty good). Again, center frame sharpness is very good, I'd say on par with the Samyang 12mm f2, which is a pretty sharp lens. Anyway, I'll try to get samples for you soon.

6. Timur

Timur Mu-43 Regular

Nov 10, 2015
    Timur
    You can check this quick sample too - it's at 2.8 (so @2 with the adapter), so the further subjects are not in sharp focus, but overall I quite like what the lens can achieve even at max aperture hand-held in a dim environment. I'm planning to use it a bit for the interiors as well as outside. Room.

• Like Like x 1