1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

[EXPIRED] Zeiss Sonnar ZM 50mm f/1.5

Discussion in 'Expired Listings' started by dwrz, Sep 1, 2011.

1. dwrz

dwrz Mu-43 Regular

0   0   0

Dec 9, 2010
    Looking for one in Black. Willing to put in for trade my Leica Elmar-M 50mm f/2.8 for one as well.

2. Kosta

Kosta Mu-43 Veteran

Rating - 100%
    3   0   0

Sep 29, 2010
    Australia
    good luck in your search for one. they are a great lens - i have one in silver and it's almost glued to my m3!

3. dwrz

dwrz Mu-43 Regular

0   0   0

Dec 9, 2010
    Thanks. Where did you find yours?

4. avidone

avidone Mu-43 Top Veteran

0   0   0

Jun 24, 2011
    Rome, Italy
    my 2 centesimi worth...

A) why don't you check on European EBay (just widen your search to international on regular US EBay and it will list the ones who ship overseas-- there seems to be a lot more available CZJ lenses of all sorts in Europe than the US, STILL, they are very variable in quality and prices are a bit inflated on anything CZJ, so be careful

B) would you consider trying Sonnar "clones?"-- the Russian KMZ-produced Jupiter-3 and Jupiter-8 are supposed to be very faithful copies. The Jupiter-3 (f1.5) are reasonably easy to find in EU countries and easier yet in FSU countries on EBay and the web. The Jupiter-8 (f2.0) are VERY easy to find, also in very good condition, and IMHO a bargain. I just received a Jupiter-8 in very good condition today from Latvia, from seller caxa2002 in Riga. It cost $40 plus another $20 for shipping. I have bought several lenses from that seller and have been pleased with the quality.

think about it... you can see here and on Flickr various shots done with J-3 and J-8 lenses on mu4/3 and other digital cameras. I hope to post some test shots from my J-8 in the next few days

good luck

• Like Like x 1
  5. Ned

Ned Mu-43 Legend

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0

Jul 18, 2010
    Alberta, Canada
    My local Camera Exchange has a pristine Zeiss 50mm f/1.5 mounted on a pristine Contax body. I doubt he'll let it go for anything inexpensive though... He knows he has a real gem in his hands. ;)

I personally have the Jupiter-3, and a 1953 copy which is very old and therefore still made when they were using Zeiss parts from the factories they disassembled in Germany and re-assembled in Russia. I love the results of this lens, and would love to try the "real" Carl Zeiss version.

Biggest difference, optically, is that the Soviet versions have uncoated glass.

• Like Like x 1
  6. Pan Korop

Pan Korop Mu-43 Veteran

0   0   0

Mar 31, 2011
    Phare Ouest
    Sonnar 1.5 vs Sonnar 1.5

Seems "dwrz" wants a ZM Sonnar 1.5, i.e. the modern Zeiss-Cosina in Leica M mount, which are hard to find and went new for over a grand -- $, £, €, you choose.

• Like Like x 1
  7. anidel

anidel Mu-43 Regular

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0

May 13, 2011
    Twickenham, Uk
    • Like Like x 1
  8. Ned

Ned Mu-43 Legend

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0

Jul 18, 2010
    Alberta, Canada
    That's exactly like the Zeiss 50mm f/1.5 and Contax body that the old man at my local camera exchange has! *drool* Sweet looking thing, ain't it? My only fear is if I buy it, my beloved Jupiter-3 may not see the light of day again. xP

• Like Like x 1
  9. avidone

avidone Mu-43 Top Veteran

0   0   0

Jun 24, 2011
    Rome, Italy
    well, there is a black ltm Jupiter 8 at my favourite EBay vendor for 40 bucks + PH:

jupiter 8 2/50 m39 Black for zorki,leica,fed | eBay

he also has a couple aluminium Jupiter 3's but they are both Kiev/Contax mount. BTW, as I understand for adapting Contax mount lenses to digital cameras you need an expensive adapter with focusing helicoid. m39/ltm are more straightforward.

(A quick look on EBay for genuine Sonnars just shocked me with the prices)

Here is the Jupiter-8 sample image thread, including a few from me this afternoon.

https://www.mu-43.com/f81/jupiter-8-50mm-f-2-image-thread-11357/

Ned, you had several Jupiter 3 photos together somewhere but I can't find them right now

• Like Like x 1
  10. Kosta

Kosta Mu-43 Veteran

Rating - 100%
    3   0   0

Sep 29, 2010
    Australia
    I found my copy locally actually - off a photog that was moving to medium format so was selling his ikon, zm 50 1.5 and I think he had a 35mm biogon too.

good luck.
    I also suggest trying the jupiter-8, (one I also want to get) but the zm 50 1.5 is quite a special lens for me.

• Like Like x 1
  11. dwrz

dwrz Mu-43 Regular

0   0   0

Dec 9, 2010
    Thanks for all the responses! I know about the Jupiters and will consider them, but I am looking first of all for a non-adapted ZM f/1.5. I've searched international, but no dice. Somehow, when I looked a few months ago, there seemed to be plenty around, but I wasn't interested then. Now I can't find them _anywhere_. :(

12. Pan Korop

Pan Korop Mu-43 Veteran

0   0   0

Mar 31, 2011
    Phare Ouest
    Nagano woes

Just had some info by a Voigt' importer on the issue of Zeiss Ikon's ZM lenses current scarcity.

They ain't discontinued. They're just delayed by several months, as most production out of Cosina's factories. Same with the new products which were announced for September. Parallel delay with some Panasonic's lenses : where is the factory? Right--the F-city which got the big blow(s)...

The aftershocks of the spring earthquake and tsunami did not affect only the east center of the main island, but also its west coast and this include Nagano. And they've been numerous. Each time, everything in a factory has to be double-checked and realigned. No wonder when you learn they had to remap a country which actually jumped sideways...

With Cosina, it means they probably prioritize supplies of lenses and glasses to their BIG long-run customers before taking care of the boss's toy (Voigt) or Carl Zeiss's young actress protégée (ZM), with their thousand-odd production batches...

We'll just have to be patient for our toys, considering some people AND businesses strive for survival or recovery.

• Like Like x 1
  13. dwrz

dwrz Mu-43 Regular

0   0   0

Dec 9, 2010
    Thanks. That helps a lot!