Showcase Zeiss Sonnar 135mm f/2.8

Discussion in 'Adapted Lens Sample Image Showcase' started by Ned, Oct 8, 2011.

1. Ned

Ned Mu-43 Legend

Jul 18, 2010
    Alberta, Canada
    This is my Carl Zeiss Sonnar 135mm f/2.8:

zeiss_sonnar_135mm_2,8_web.

Here's a sample image, shot wide open f/2.8:

lizzy_hunter_house_web.

• Like Like x 7
  2. Rich M

Rich M Mu-43 Veteran

Mar 2, 2010
    Nice shot Ned. Do you think the IBIS makes a difference?

R

3. Canonista

Canonista Mu-43 Top Veteran

Sep 3, 2011
    L.A.
    At least it's not this big

huge-lens.

But I up you one :biggrin:

Canon-EF-800mm-and-1200mm-Lens.

4. Ned

Ned Mu-43 Legend

Jul 18, 2010
    Alberta, Canada
    Absolutely. :) With digital lenses I tend to take it for granted because it's so automatic but with legacy lenses I really notice the difference if I forget to turn it on, or set it to the wrong focal length (if the difference is great). Legacy lenses have really let me really appreciate IBIS. ;)

• Like Like x 1
  5. Armanius

Armanius Mu-43 All-Pro

Feb 23, 2010
    Houston
    Muttley
    Super shallow DOF eh? Awesome!

Now we need something similar in native m4/3 format. Maybe a 100/2 not bigger than the Oly m40-150, if it's physically possible.

6. stratokaster

stratokaster Mu-43 All-Pro

Jan 4, 2011
    Kyiv, Ukraine
    Pavel
    Don't know about 100/2, but most 100/2.8 lenses of the film era were really small. I have the Canon FD 100/2.8 and it's almost as small as the 50/1.4. I would love to see the digital version of this lens with fast AF and OIS.

7. Armanius

Armanius Mu-43 All-Pro

Feb 23, 2010
    Houston
    Muttley
    Maybe I'm being overly optimistic! But I'd be satisfied with a small 100/2.8 in native m4/3 as well. 2.0 just sounds so much better though. :)

8. Ned

Ned Mu-43 Legend

Jul 18, 2010
    Alberta, Canada
    Zeiss Sonnar 135mm f/2.8 with the EC-14 teleconverter, hand-held...

half_moon.

Unfortunately it had to be cropped as 200mm is not very long, but the lens still shows good detail.

• Like Like x 3
  9. Sammyboy

Sammyboy m43 Pro

Oct 26, 2010
    Steeler Country
    Excellent moon shot Ned.

10. NikkoExiledInSF

NikkoExiledInSF Mu-43 Regular

Feb 8, 2011
    Wiltshire, UK
    Zeiss Sonnar 135mm f2.8 on Olympus OM-D

I bought this lens about 2 weeks ago, based on the mediocre samples that I'd seen posted from native M43 slow zooms. I was not disappointed by the new purchase:

Here's the 135 attached to my camera next to the native collection for comparative purposes:

i-KRWpHmV-X3.

The following were taken with the OM-D/Zeiss 135 f2.8 combination. Firstly, my son on a dog-walk:

i-L7tH79L-X3.

He also had a fairly decent sports day haul a week ago:

i-L79s9CP-X3.

Even the dog looks good:

P6170004-X3.

I can't recommend this lens highly enough. FWIW, I paid GBP170 for it on Ebay for a mint specimen.

Nikko

• Like Like x 6
  11. Ned

Ned Mu-43 Legend

Jul 18, 2010
    Alberta, Canada
    From a short concert this weekend, Japanese band Capella's first overseas performance at our local anime convention. Shot with the Zeiss Sonnar 135mm/2.8 and EC-14 teleconverter (I think):

A20_15_web.

• Like Like x 2
  12. nstelemark

nstelemark Mu-43 Hall of Famer

May 28, 2013
    Halifax, Nova Scotia Canada
    Larry
    So you have a Zeiss to 4/3 adapter and you are using the ec14 with the zeiss lens? ( I assume Leica M Mount?)

Nice shot BTW.

13. svenkarma

svenkarma Mu-43 Top Veteran

Feb 5, 2013
    mark evans
    Take off

TAKE_OFF.

South Downs

SOUTHDOWNS.

GX7 Panorama

HORIZON_PANO.

• Like Like x 4
  14. Ned

Ned Mu-43 Legend

Jul 18, 2010
    Alberta, Canada
    Sorry for the super-late reply, but yes the Zeiss (this one is Contax/Yashica mount) is adapted to 4/3 to use with the EC-14 teleconverter. All my SLR glass is adapted to 4/3 rather than m4/3, so that it can be used with both systems as well as the brilliant 4/3 teleconverters and extension tubes, which are still not available yet for m4/3. Since 4/3 was the shortest of SLR mounts, this can be done with pretty much all SLR glass, but not rangefinder glass or cine lenses. Minolta and Konica mounts are the only ones which work better adapted directly to m4/3, as adapting Konica to 4/3 requires a bit of lens hacking (removing a lever) and Minolta to 4/3 requires a hex key tightener since there's not enough clearance for the regular twist lock (you can also perma-mount an adapter to each Minolta lens, though). The Zuiko 4/3 teleconverters happen to be some of the best ever made (well, in my experience the best), so that makes this system perfect. :)

15. nstelemark

nstelemark Mu-43 Hall of Famer

May 28, 2013
    Halifax, Nova Scotia Canada
    Larry
    Interesting - thanks for the reply!