Zeiss lenses on Pana G1

Discussion in 'Adapted Lenses' started by jl-lb.ms, Apr 9, 2011.

1. jl-lb.ms

jl-lb.ms Mu-43 Regular

Jan 7, 2011
    Long Beach, MS
    I have a G1 and an adapter, but I'm wondering whether the sensor of the G1 is really up to resolving the high quality of the Zeiss lenses. Any thoughts?

thx,

2. Bokeh Diem

Bokeh Diem Mu-43 Top Veteran

Mar 14, 2010
    Toronto
    • Like Like x 1
  3. DHart

DHart Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Jan 7, 2010
    Scottsdale, Arizona
    Don
    I have the Zeiss Planar T* 85/1.4 and 50/1.4 and I'm quite content with the results on my GF1 and GH2. If you've got an itch for some Zeiss glass... go for it!

4. Canon43fella

Canon43fella New to Mu-43

Mar 30, 2011
    Manchester UK
    IMHO get some Canon lenses.... a fraction of the cost

5. apicius9

apicius9 Mu-43 Veteran

Feb 1, 2010
    Honolulu, Hawaii
    nomen est omen? :biggrin:

I have the same Planars as DHart and I am quite happy with them, same with the 45/2 Contax G Planar.

Stefan

6. DHart

Jan 7, 2010
    Scottsdale, Arizona
    Don
    I just finished a portrait session with the 85/1.4 shot at 1.4 and I am thrilled with the output from this lens... Well worth every penny. Will post some from the session when I can!

I like both the Zeiss Planar T* 50/1.4 and the Canon FDn 50/1.4... The Canon color is colder than the Zeiss and the Zeiss has a tiny tiny tiny edge in sharpness at 1.4 (both are softer at 1.4 than at 2.0). But the color is easily tweaked in pos and the sharpness difference is difficult to see except with careful test comparison. I like the Canon lenses a lot, but head to head the Zeiss has just a hair over the Canon... Not enough to make an issue of, though.

• Like Like x 2
  7. jl-lb.ms

jl-lb.ms Mu-43 Regular

Jan 7, 2011
    Long Beach, MS
    Planning on going with the Biogon 25, since it will be a normal focal length on the G1. Any experience there?

8. DHart

Jan 7, 2010
    Scottsdale, Arizona
    Don
    Here are two images from yesterdays session. GH2 ISO 400, Carl Zeiss 85mm f/1.4 lens at f/1.4.

First the color
    P1010750-2.

Then a B&W conversion of that image
    P1010750_BW.

And another image
    P1010841-3.

This lens does exactly what I bought it for... great compression with strong subject isolation for portraits. And even shot wide open at f/1.4, it yields a very crisp image. This is a fantastic portrait lens.

• Like Like x 4
  9. theflyer

theflyer Mu-43 Regular

Jan 14, 2011
    agree with you, don. nice B&W image here. i'm enjoying my 85/1.4 lots on the GH2. i find the subject separation (and the bokeh) a bit more to my liking than than the 50/1.4 and oddly enough, i like the heft of it. best part of the lens for me, though, is the focusing. it's a big lens (but not chunky) that i find exceptionally easy to focus.

jl- regarding the biogon 25 - i have a CZ 28/2.8, a bit longer than yours but not by much. i also really like the separation, the 3D pop that you get from the ZM lenses. and you can't beat the sharpness. to my eyes, the biggest difference between the ZM's and the older C/Y zeiss lenses, besides size, is the ZM's have a bit of a modern look to them, especially in the way they render color and contrast. and at 2.8, you'll get more DOF wide open.

can't go wrong either way.

10. jl-lb.ms

jl-lb.ms Mu-43 Regular

Jan 7, 2011
    Long Beach, MS
    Well ok, this may reveal how irrational I am - I have the CV 28 and 25 both, but for some reason I want the *ZEISS*, just because it's a Zeiss. Anybody care to hazard whether there's any real difference between the CV and the Zeiss?

thanks, John

11. brutto

brutto Mu-43 Veteran

Feb 17, 2011
    I'm being really thick here but what is CV?

12. DHart

Jan 7, 2010
    Scottsdale, Arizona
    Don
    Cosina/Voigtlander

13. brutto

brutto Mu-43 Veteran

Feb 17, 2011
    Aha! That explains it. It's confusing though because aren't some CZ lenses made by Cosina too?

I've spent many a happy hour viewing images on flickr trying to answer that very question. I've abandoned plans to switch to Voigtlander and I'm going for CZ. To my eyes. There look to be real differences in IQ. And I prefer the CZ "look". And from my limited handling, differences in construction quality too.

I am quite happy to admit that I may have just preferred the work of photographers who chose Zeiss over Voigtlander. And I may just be deluding myself all round. Tricky.