1. Reminder: Please user our affiliate links to get to your favorite stores for holiday shopping!

Zeiss lenses for C/Y mounts

Discussion in 'Adapted Lenses' started by travisennis, Jan 5, 2011.

1. travisennis

travisennis Mu-43 Regular

Dec 27, 2010
    Indiana
    Out of curiosity, has anyone used the Zeiss or Yashica lenses for Contax/Yashica mount? I've read many m43 forums around the web and it seems to be the one lineup of lenses that I've seen and read the least about. There seems to be many of them available used, especially on eBay, and the price for many doesn't seem too extravagant. How would they fit on a camera like the GF-1? There were a few adapted lenses I was looking until I saw the Matching Simulation on the four-thirds.org website and realized that the lens and adapter combinations really no longer made the GF-1 a small, compact camera.

2. chasm

chasm Mu-43 Veteran

Mar 2, 2010
    ..."realized that the lens and adapter combinations really no longer made the GF-1 a small, compact camera." Yes, of course, but if you want a blazingly fast short telephoto equivalent the combination of either a 50mm or 85mm + adapter is still much more compact on a ยต4/3 than anything else I can think of - my Minolta MD 50mm f1.2 together with the Novoflex adapter still weighs under a pound (450g), and that's the equivalent (in light-gathering terms, not DOF) of a 100mm f1.2! The Zeiss 50mm & 85mm lenses had a great reputation, give it a go!

3. apicius9

apicius9 Mu-43 Veteran

Feb 1, 2010
    Honolulu, Hawaii
    I have the 50 and 85mm Planars, and they work beautifully on the GH1 - have not hooked them up on the GH2, yet, but expect them to be at least as good there. The 50mm is not all that big compared to others like the Summicron R, but it is a SLR lens and there are smaller ones out there. I also recently picked up a Mutar converter but have not yet had a chance to play with it. A 170/2.8 (85x2) sounds great, I will have to see how that will handle without stabilization. As for the 50mm, I have the 1.4 but I read quite often that the 1.7 is a bit sharper wide open and once stopped down more, the difference is supposedly not that big between them. Anyway, I think they work great on the GH models, I can see the 50mm working nicely on the GF1, the 85mm is larger and a bit heavy for that camera IMHO. The Contax G 90/2.8 Planar would be a much better choice for the GF1 if you want to keep it a bit smaller.

Stefan

4. JudyM

JudyM Mu-43 All-Pro

May 5, 2010
    Westminster, MD
    I have the Zeiss 50mm f1.4 Planar, the 28mm f2.8 Distagon, and the 80-200mm f4 Vario Sonnar. I purchased all three new some 15 years ago when I bought my Contax 167 MT. The reason I went with the :43: system was to have a high quality digital camera on which to continue using these high quality lenses, so the bulk of the lens/camera combination has never been a factor for me. All three are fairly comfortable to use, especially with the LVF1viewfinder. Images are sharp and contrasty. The 80-200mm is undoubtably my favorite, giving me the equivalent of a 160-400mm f4 for a long reach, yet fast enough to hand hold without blurring. The hummingbird photo I posted in the "Show birds" thread was taken with this lens.

5. travisennis

Dec 27, 2010
    Indiana
    Hi Judy! Do you have any pics of these lenses mounted on your camera?

6. travisennis

Dec 27, 2010
    Indiana
    Hi Stefan! I don't think I would want to go longer than 50mm on my GF-1 for the kind of shooting that I do. I've seen the 1.7 for very reasonable prices and the 1.4 too for that matter but it does carry a premium. The Contax G lenses are very nice looking but the focusing mechanism on them gives me doubts.

7. JudyM

JudyM Mu-43 All-Pro

May 5, 2010
    Westminster, MD
    Sorry for the delay in posting these, I thought I had already posted them in the Adapted lenses thread. The 50mm and 28mm are very close in size to one another and fit the Gf1 quite well. The Vario-Sonnar is another story. I purchased all three in 1995, so they are most probably the Japanese built versions, but I haven't paid any attention to talk about the quality being less than the German built Zeiss lenses. All three have served me well, they feel like Zeiss lenses (I owned a Hasselblad with Zeiss lenses, so I am qualified to make that statement) and I've been pleased with the image quality. From left to right are the 28mm f2.8 Distagon, the 50mm f1.4 Planar, and the 80-200mm f4 Vario-Sonnar.

Attached Files:

8. travisennis

Dec 27, 2010
    Indiana
    Judy, those are gorgeous lenses and they look fantastic on the GF-1. I must say I am tempted to give one of them a go.

9. DHart

DHart Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Jan 7, 2010
    Scottsdale, Arizona
    Don
    Greetings, all.

Stefan... I have a GF1 and GH2 and just bought a Contax C/Y 85/1.4 on eBay. I was so focused on image quality and speed that i never even thought about whether the lens mount on the GH2 would handle the weight of the 85/1.4 when the body is mounted on a tripod. I think the lens is over 20 oz.

Handholding the camera/lens with good hand support to the lens would be fine, but I'm wondering about tripod use. Do you ever use your GH1 on a tripod with the 85/1.4 lens unsupported? Does it seem that there is much risk of damaging the camera's lens mount due to the weight of the lens?