1. Reminder: Please user our affiliate links to get to your favorite stores for holiday shopping!

Zeiss Joins µ4/3!

Discussion in 'Micro 4/3 News and Rumors' started by deirdre, Feb 7, 2011.

1. deirdre

deirdre Mu-43 Top Veteran

Aug 9, 2010
  2. Vivalo

Vivalo Olympus Loser

Nov 16, 2010
    Finland
    Thanks.

"All good things come in three, so after Schneider and Zeiss…who is next?"
    I think Voigtlander was the first and now Zeiss is the third so I guess no more goodies for m4/3. :frown: :wink:

3. f6cvalkyrie

f6cvalkyrie Mu-43 All-Pro

Feb 12, 2010
    Brussels, Belgium
    I hope for Rodenstock to join, you never know !

C U
    Rafael

4. pdh

pdh Mu-43 Top Veteran

May 6, 2010
    it only talks about video lenses in :43: unfortunately

5. Kosta

Kosta Mu-43 Veteran

Sep 29, 2010
    Australia
    this is still awesome news! i'm hoping the more m4/3 manufacturers that are out there, the more competitive it will get? (or is that never really the case for lenses?)

6. Gillymaru

Gillymaru Mu-43 Veteran

I think it will mean that manufacturers will be on notice to produce quality, value for money lenses or they will be bypassed by consumers.

7. linkedit

linkedit Mu-43 Top Veteran

Aug 6, 2010
    New Jersey, USA
    I don't think that Zeiss will be offering any lenses in the "value" price range. They will most likely be very, very good as well as very, very exspensive.

8. Narnian

Narnian Nobody in particular ...

Aug 6, 2010
    Midlothian, VA
    Richard Elliott
    Hopefully Schneider and Zeiss joining 4/3 will start to attract the likes of Sigma, Tamron and Tokina as well.

9. kevinparis

kevinparis Cantankerous Scotsman

Feb 12, 2010
    Gent, Belgium
  10. DesertRose

DesertRose Mu-43 Regular

Dec 1, 2010
    Colorado

Ooooh, the prices are buzz-kill!

11. ~tc~

~tc~ Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Oct 22, 2010
    Houston, TX
    I figure if you can sell a lens at $4k, that opens the door for a lot of people to make a ton of money selling similar focal length/aperture lenses for $1000 or so and helps the availability dramatically.

12. kevinparis

Feb 12, 2010
    Gent, Belgium
    eh?.....don't get your point...

I am guessing that zeiss charge 4K for these lenses because being a niche market eg movie making, that this is the cost of making the lens with normal mark up for a profit.

cant see the correlation that because that particular market exists and that people in that market are willing/used to paying those prices, that someone else will come along and make a cheaper version.

These zeiss lenses are aimed at people buying professional movie making cameras of which Panasonic have a camera that is going up against cameras like the RED

Memory Card Camera Recorder | Panasonic

Maybe zeiss will make dedicated micro 4/3 lenses at some point... but I seriously doubt it... maybe they will do their Leica M lenses... but why should they - if you want one of those you just buy one and an adaptor.

K

13. Conrad

Conrad Mu-43 Veteran

What I'd really like Zeiss to do, is to take their Contax brand name, hook up with Kodak or Dalsa or Jenoptik or whatever company that can deliver the electronics, and produce a Contax DG-1 pro hybrid :43: rangefinder. :cool:

14. Narnian

Aug 6, 2010
    Midlothian, VA
    Richard Elliott
    That was my point about Sigma et al hopefully joining the fray when they see how serious m43 is becoming.

15. Mirrorless cameras present an interesting conundrum for third-party lens maufacturers. All their consumer grade DSLR lenses were designed around the APS-C sized sensor and then in Sigma's case they were adapted to 4/3 but the focal lengths weren't right for the format. If they commit to m4/3 the lenses may not be usable on the Sony NEX, Samsung NX and whatever else may follow. If they commit to designing around APS-C mirrorless and m4/3 is the dominant format they will not have the right product for the market.

16. kevinparis

Feb 12, 2010
    Gent, Belgium
    good point Nic... it makes good business sense for the third party lens makers like tamron and sigma to develop for the largest market... which is APC sized sensors. The mirrorless market is still in its early days, and despite the success of micro 4/3, the two main players in cameras have not yet showed their hand.

Now if canon or nikon went for a 2x crop sensor then things would get interesting.. they may do that in order to put themselves in a position to sell into that high end p/s market while not totally alienating their existing userbase

i think both the schneider and the zeiss announcements are more to do with making available their existing expensive and highly regarded cinema lenses for the panasonic 4/3 pro video camera as opposed to them pledging to produce lenses for the general micro 4/3 community.

Of course Olympus marketing are taking advantage of the publicity these 'commitments' to the platform generate... but as I am sure Sony probably have pro level large sensor video cameras with the NEX E-Mount either announced or on the drawing board ( Sony and Panasonic are BIG rivals in the pro video arena) then i wouldn't be too surprised for zeiss and schnieder to both announce support for the Sony E-mount in the near future if they haven't already

just late night ramblings

K

17. Narnian

Aug 6, 2010
    Midlothian, VA
    Richard Elliott
    I am inclined to agree, Kevin, the more I look at it. But one can hope.

18. ~tc~

~tc~ Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Oct 22, 2010
    Houston, TX
    My point is that some companies will enter what they think is a "niche" product from the high end, knowing they'll still make money on a small volume. Many times, these turn out to not be as "niche" as originally thought, and then a volume play comes out of the major manufacturers.

My theory is this is what Voigtlander did with the 25/.95, and why Panasonic was even remotely motivated to come out with the 25/1.4 when the 20/1.7 is so good already

19. Laurentiu Cristofor

Laurentiu Cristofor Mu-43 Veteran

Mar 9, 2012
    I just discovered these lenses on B&H (Zeiss Cine lenses) - I wasn't aware they were also available for MFT mount. Here is the current lineup:

18/T3.6
    21/T2.9
    25/T2.9
    28/T2.1
    35/T2.1
    50/T2.1 (there is a macro version too)
    85/T2.1
    100/T2.1

Nothing new to this thread unless the lineup has increased since last year.

20. inkista

inkista Mu-43 Veteran

Jan 13, 2012
    San Diego, CA
    Actually, iirc, the Contax and Yashica brands are owned by Kyocera, and Kyocera decided a while back not to pursue the digital camera game with them. (sigh).

I'd love it if Zeiss actually designed lenses for m43, rather than just slapping a different mount on the back of the M designs, but given that they're developing ZA lenses for Sony NEX and Sony Alpha, I can't really see them deciding they need to develop m43 lenses right now.