1. Reminder: Please user our affiliate links to get to your favorite stores for holiday shopping!

Zeiss Jena adapter - persuaded eBay seller to describe its fault

Discussion in 'Adapted Lenses' started by Charles2, Aug 1, 2010.

1. Charles2

Charles2 Mu-43 Regular

May 17, 2010
    Purchased a Zeiss Jena 28mm f/2.8 lens made for the old Praktica line of cameras with bayonet mount.

Bought an adapter to m4/3 on eBay from rainbowimaging. The lens would not focus to infinity.

The seller asked me to return it for a replacement. Same problem. During this exchange, the seller apparently contacted the manufacturer, presumably in China, who said they tested the adapter with a 50mm lens!

Looking at photos, I believe all the eBay sellers have the same product. The seller graciously offered a refund, but I decided to keep the adapter for partial use of the lens.

I urged the seller that he should revise his product description, which claimed the adapter allowed infinity focus, to read, "Focus to infinity is allowed (for lens 50mm focal length or longer)." He made the revision!

The infinity focus problem is common with adapters. If you have a similar problem, I hope you too will urge the seller to revise the description as part of resolving the issue.

Otherwise, before committing to buy it seems a good idea to ask a seller, does the adapter focus to infinity using my lens which has focal length of xx mm?

The Jena lens is quite nice at short distances. Here is an image that does not need infinity focus. Aperture was wide and the camera about 0.3 meter away from the rose, so DOF is very thin.

http://https://farm5.static.flickr.com/4075/4805853196_1fcd3f92c6_b.jpg

2. Gwendal

Gwendal Mu-43 Veteran

Jun 6, 2010
    Hi - indeed helpful information. got more or less the same problem with my PK adapter - to focus to infinity you have to focus very close to the max.
    Usually does not bother me (I use it for a 50mm lens), but I will probably end up buying a more expensive (and reliable !) adapter !

3. Adech

Adech New to Mu-43

Aug 2, 2010
    adapter issue

hi, sometimes adapter cannot focus to infinity because or 3 reasons

1) adapter is too thick
    2) the mount on your lens is loose and therefore you cannot focus to infinity
    3) adapter enable focus beyond infinity and try to focus backwards a bit

i usually get my adapters from these guys. they do not list all their adapters so i usually ask them directly. really professional and has very gd adapters

eBay My World - slrmagic

Photos of my m4/3 adapters from them
    several 35mm lens options for m4/3: Micro Four Thirds Talk Forum: Digital Photography Review

4. photoSmart42

photoSmart42 Mu-43 Top Veteran

Feb 12, 2010
    San Diego, CA
    It may be possible to modify your adapter to work with the wider angle lenses. Normally if you sand down the adapter mounting surface very carefully against a flat surface you can get it to infinity very nicely. I've had to do that on a few cheapie adapters with good results so far. Work slowly and check for infinity often so see where to stop.

5. aleksanderpolo

aleksanderpolo Mu-43 Regular

Mar 31, 2010
    San Diego, CA
    I have purchased a number of adapters from rainbowimaging, they are highly recommended. I am not sure other seller will be as responsive (and responsible) though.

6. Charles2

Charles2 Mu-43 Regular

May 17, 2010
    Wanted to try that. Removing the flange, I discovered it sits in a little well, held by both a lip and an inner floor. Don't know how to sand down both parts.

7. Charles2

Charles2 Mu-43 Regular

May 17, 2010
    My mistake

As photoSmart42 pointed out on another forum, I should not sand the molded plastic, rather the metal flange.

8. iliakoltsov

iliakoltsov Mu-43 Regular

Aug 7, 2010
    Paris
    I can recommend you a couple of lenses :
    Pentacon 29 f2.8
    Tamron adaptall BBAR 28 f2.5

Mamiya sekor 35 f2.8 , Porst 35 f2.8, revuenon 35 f2.8