1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Zeiss getting serious about mirrorless cameras!

Discussion in 'Native Lenses' started by veereshai, Sep 6, 2012.

1. veereshai

veereshai Mu-43 Top Veteran

May 12, 2011
    Arlington, VA
    Zeiss is planning to announce a few AF lenses for mirrorless cameras at Photokina and these will be available in mid 2013. If they announce a 60-70mm Makro Planar for micro four thirds, I'll skip every other lens and buy that one :smile:.

Source: Zeiss getting serious about mirrorless and announces high quality prime lenses for 2013! | Mirrorless Rumors

"Another highlight will be the presentation of a design study, with which Carl Zeiss will offer a sneak preview of a new family of autofocus lenses for mirrorless system cameras (CSC) that will most likely be available in mid-2013. Due to their performance and high speed, these new lenses will be ideal for deliberate photo composition, making them perfect for more sophisticated photographers as well. Carl Zeiss plans to initially offer fixed focal lengths in the wide angle and standard range as well as a macro. „The trend toward mirrorless system cameras has accelerated since 2010 and we notice growing interest for them among ambitious photographers. We are convinced that as a result of the new and very high-quality cameras and lenses that are coming onto the scene, this market will become even more important. We see lots of potential, which is why we will offer more products for this target group in the future"
    Carl Zeiss at photokina 2012 | Carl Zeiss Camera Lenses

• Like Like x 2
  2. dornblaser

dornblaser Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Aug 13, 2012
    Chicago-area
    David Dornblaser
    That is great news!

3. jloden

jloden Mu-43 Hall of Famer

May 15, 2012
    Hunterdon County, NJ
    Jay
    Awesome! I can't complain about even more lens choices - let's hope that what they're calling CSC includes Micro Four Thirds then :biggrin:

4. TDP

TDP Guest

Awesome. My mostest favorite lens for my Canon is the CZ 35. That thing is magic.

5. twalker294

twalker294 Mu-43 Top Veteran

Aug 18, 2010
    Seeing as how :43: is the largest CSC market right now, I can only assume that it does...

6. dhazeghi

dhazeghi Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Aug 6, 2010
    San Jose, CA
    Dara
    Interesting. I find it hard to believe that these will be the same manufacture as the traditional all-manual Zeiss lenses (heavy construction, no electronics to speak of). Perhaps they'll follow the path of the Sony Zeisses? I guess all Zeisses are already made in Japan, so that should help...

DH

7. Promit

Promit Mu-43 All-Pro

Jun 6, 2011
    Baltimore, MD
    Promit Roy
    I'm a little surprised that they're not all-in for Sony. Either way, expect these to be APS-C lenses.

8. mattia

mattia Mu-43 Hall of Famer

May 3, 2012
    The Netherlands
    Here's hoping for both...My Contax/Zeiss glass is my favorite MF glass by a very, very long shot, and I've been tempted by a Contax N converted to EOS mount for a good long while.

9. heedpantsnow

heedpantsnow Mu-43 Veteran

Jul 24, 2011
    My CZ Planar 50 1.4 is my favorite lens. But, it seems to have little in common with today's Sony Zeiss lenses; they feel like computers with optics built in rather than a hunk of well-made glass and metal. So, I'm not getting my hopes up.

10. veereshai

veereshai Mu-43 Top Veteran

May 12, 2011
    Arlington, VA
    I'll get my first taste of Zeiss lenses this Sunday. I am getting couple of Contax G lenses and am dying to try them out. I think I am set on UWA to medium tele, just need a good native macro lens. I like the PL 45mm except for the working distance. Anyway, I think Zeiss might release different focal lengths for APS-C and Four thirds sensor.

An announcement from last year about zeiss planning to release video lenses for micro four thirds:
    Carl Zeiss joins Micro Four Thirds system: Digital Photography Review

11. edmsnap

edmsnap Mu-43 Veteran

Dec 20, 2011
    Edmonton, Alberta
    I would also doubt that this will include anything for µ4/3.