1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

zeiss-55mm-f1.4 otus distagon - will it work on EM1

Discussion in 'Adapted Lenses' started by Petrus61, May 7, 2014.

1. Petrus61

Petrus61 Mu-43 Regular

Oct 22, 2012
    London
    Hi All - I have always stuck with m4/3 lens - noctilux, 25m, 75m, 60m macro etc etc - I have recently seen photos taken by a friend with the Zeiss 1.4 - are they sharp or what.......the question is - if I buy one will it work on an EM1 with an adapter?

Sorry about dumb question - love photography but ......

2. verbatimium

verbatimium Mu-43 Veteran

Jul 17, 2013
    Toronto, Ontario
    Martin
    From my understanding you most likely would have to get the version for Nikon cameras and then adapt it. This is because the Nikon version of the lens has a manual aperture ring, while the canon version of the lens does not (aperture is controlled in-body only). You can use the canon one, however, you can only shoot the lens wide open.

3. Turbofrog

Turbofrog Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Mar 21, 2014
    I'd say an M4/3 camera will not have sufficient resolution to show any difference between an Otus and some other ultra-high end lens like the Nocticron. Many 50mm f/1.4 lenses made for full frame will already be exceedingly sharp on M4/3 since you're taking the best part of the image circle with the crop sensor.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk

4. GFFPhoto

GFFPhoto Mu-43 All-Pro

Feb 24, 2013
    The Otus is pretty expensive, very large and super heavy for a 55mm. If you are willing to carry that lens, you might as well buy a (used maybe) D800 to go with it and just use it as a second system. Or go medium format and sneer at his Otus.

• Like Like x 1
  5. Amin Sabet

Amin Sabet Administrator

Apr 10, 2009
    Boston, MA (USA)
    The Nikon version of the Otus will work on Micro 4/3 with an adapter. I think the sharpness will be slightly compromised by nature of the high pixel density of MFT (similar to a 64MP full frame sensor), but I suspect the Otus would be up to that task. That said, I think a Nocticron is a better choice for our format. Otus really made for 35mm full frame.

• Like Like x 1
  6. GFFPhoto

GFFPhoto Mu-43 All-Pro

Feb 24, 2013
    Isn't the pixel density the same as a 32 MP full frame?

7. Amin Sabet

Amin Sabet Administrator

Apr 10, 2009
    Boston, MA (USA)
    If you put four MFT sensors together, the area will be very close to that of a full frame sensor. 4 x 16MP.

• Like Like x 1
  8. barry13

barry13 Super Moderator; Photon Wrangler

Mar 7, 2014
    Southern California
    Barry
    Sigma has a new lens coming out which is supposedly close in performance to the Otus.

Barry

9. Petrus61

Petrus61 Mu-43 Regular

Oct 22, 2012
    London
    Sounds like I should stay with the noctilux then.......thanks for the heads up :smile:

Had a play with the Leica T yesterday and think might get one for the pocket - might have to justify it as for the "Boss" though ......

10. wushumr2

wushumr2 Mu-43 Regular

May 20, 2013
    If you can afford the Otus, you might as well just get a Nocticron...or three. If you're DESPERATE for a lens like that, get the Sigma 50mm 1.4 in Nikon mount and adapt it. You'll get 99% of the performance at less than half the cost.

11. RnR

RnR Mu-43 All-Pro

Sep 25, 2011
    Brisbane, Australia
    Hasse
    The sharpness issue can be addressed by using a focal reducer. A Metabones Speedbooster with this beast would be a very interesting ~80mm f1 effective. The downside would be focusing The Nikon Way(tm) :p