1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Zeiss 50mm f.4 ZF ?

Discussion in 'Adapted Lenses' started by AV Janus, Apr 8, 2012.

1. AV Janus

AV Janus Mu-43 Rookie

Feb 23, 2012
    I did a little search on the experience with this lens on m43. Ddint find lots of info.
    I am MF noob and a m43 newcomer.

Could anybody share more first hand insight into the image quality of this lens when used on m43?

I have a chance to exchange my NIKON 20mm f2.8 for this lens, and will use it on the Nikon to play for a few weeks until I sell the body and from then on it will go on E-P3 and E-M5.

Should I do the exchange?
    :redface:

2. dhazeghi

dhazeghi Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Aug 6, 2010
    San Jose, CA
    Dara
    Well the ZF 50/1.4 is certainly more interesting on m4/3 than the 20/2.8 would be. That said, the main virtue of the 50/1.4 is that it is an all manual design for modern FF digital SLRs. If you're not using it on a FF SLR, you're spending a lot of money for a lens that performs only a little bit better on m4/3 than the huge number of inexpensive legacy 50/1.4 lenses. Even if you want a Zeiss SLR design, a Contax/Yashica mount Zeiss 50/1.4 can be had for half the price of the ZF 50/1.4.

If it's a straight trade though, the ZF 50/1.4 is worth a good bit more than the Nikon 20/2.8, so you are getting a good deal, even if you only sell the Zeiss later on...

DH

3. shnitz

shnitz Mu-43 Top Veteran

Aug 25, 2011
    Austin, TX
    I think you're making out like a bandit in the exchange. The lens will work fine on your m4/3 camera (I use a Nikon 50mm f/1.4), but after a while you may want to end up selling it. Nikon-mount lenses are always in high demand, and you could use that money towards the great Olympus 45mm f/1.8 and/or the Panasonic 25mm f/1.4. The Zeiss (or any other adapted lens) will perform the same it would on a Nikon, but since the sensor is smaller, you don't need to worry about the borders. So, the Zeiss has poor contrast and noticeably reduced resolution in the center at wide apertures, and those shortcomings will carry over to micro 4/3.

4. AV Janus

AV Janus Mu-43 Rookie

Feb 23, 2012
    I did the exchange...
    Right now playing with it on the Nikon. This is my first MF lens. So far I like the results it gives me. Lots of user mistakes, I am sure, but its easier to MF than I was afraid itwould be.

Need to order an m43 adapter from ebay, now.
    I have a feelin this baby will be soo good as a 100mm eq with IBIS on OM-D
    :wink: