1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Zebra jumping spiders munching on mosquitoes (pics)

Discussion in 'Nature' started by Ecooper, Jul 10, 2013.

1. Ecooper

Ecooper Mu-43 Regular

Jun 15, 2013
    Vancouver, BC, Canada
    Ernie
    I’ve been taking photos of zebra jumping spiders (Salticus scenicus) that have been hunting mosquitoes on the screen door to my kitchen. These spiders are really endearing in their movements and “attitude”...it’s too bad they are so tiny. Imagine how much fun they would be if they were the size of a tarantula! :)

Males of the species are apparently darker in colour, so I believe that the first photo below is of a male, and the second is a female. If anyone can confirm that, please let me know. There are more photos of each specimen on my blog.

Olympus OM-D E-M5 camera; Zuiko 35mm macro lens; manual exposure (F8-F11 @ 1/200 sec); Olympus RF-11 ring flash (1/8-1/4 power); ISO: 200

Cheers,
    EC
    macrocritters | What's a nice bug like you doing in a place like this…?

9218177827_85895481cd_z. P7040536 2 jumping spider on screen ernie cooper 2013 by ernie.cooper, on Flickr
    9218168619_7a8b330803_z. P7110479 jumping spider screen 2 ernie cooper 2013 by ernie.cooper, on Flickr

2. Narnian

Narnian Nobody in particular ...

Aug 6, 2010
    Midlothian, VA
    Richard Elliott
    Great shots! Anything that eats mosquitoes is a friend of mine :2thumbs:

3. RT_Panther

RT_Panther Mu-43 Legend

May 4, 2011
    Texas
    Some great work there! :smile:

4. GaryAyala

GaryAyala Mu-43 Legend

Jan 2, 2011
    SoCal
  5. mpg01

mpg01 Mu-43 Regular

Oct 21, 2012
    I've heard about the sharpness of the 35 and it really comes through here. Well done.

6. bredman

bredman Mu-43 Veteran

May 30, 2013
    Sherwood Forest
    Pete
    Exactly what i was gonna say.

7. spatulaboy

spatulaboy I'm not really here

Jul 13, 2011
    North Carolina
    Vin
    Nice work, those spiders are super tiny. Also, the reflection of the ring flash in the eyes is a nice touch.

8. Ecooper

Ecooper Mu-43 Regular

Jun 15, 2013
    Vancouver, BC, Canada
    Ernie
    Mea culpa

There is a quote circulating on Facebook that basically says that you are doing science wrong if you don’t make mistakes; that you are doing science really wrong if you don’t correct those mistakes; and that you aren’t doing it at all if you don’t accept that you’re mistaken.

Well, it turns out that the darker spider is actually a different species: Platycryptus (probably P. californicus). It also turns out that what I thought were mosquitoes were actually non-biting midges (chironomids). Sigh. I have re-edited my blog and corrected these mistakes.

I must be doing GREAT science!

It’s interesting that two very similar species, one introduced and one native, were feeding on the same prey within inches of one another. I wonder whether the two species avoid each other (given their great vision) or if one ever preys on the other?

Cheers,
    EC
    macrocritters | What's a nice bug like you doing in a place like this…?

9. Ecooper

Ecooper Mu-43 Regular

Jun 15, 2013
    Vancouver, BC, Canada
    Ernie
    Yes, it has been a great little lens, especially for the price. I've moved to the micro 4/3 60mm macro now, and very happy with it...

EC

10. RobR

RobR Mu-43 Regular

Jun 19, 2013
    Connecticut, USA
    Robert Reinhardt
    Nice work! Although I'd have to disagree with you. Jumping spiders the size of tarantulas would NOT be fun. :biggrin:

11. KS11

KS11 Mu-43 Veteran

Jan 31, 2011
    Busan/Hong Kong
    i loved every single word of your thread title. and the pictures delivered too!

12. dogs100

dogs100 Mu-43 Top Veteran

Nov 12, 2011
    N Devon UK
    Geoff
    Liked it very much, thank you!!

13. sLorenzi

sLorenzi Mu-43 Top Veteran

Sep 15, 2010
    Brazil
    Sidinei
    terrific work. :2thumbs: