ZD 50-200 SWD on its way

Discussion in 'Adapted Lenses' started by Phocal, Oct 27, 2014.

1. Phocal

Phocal Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Jan 3, 2014
    So, I was looking for non-SWD but managed to score a really good deal on the SWD w/ the 1.4x TC and they arrive on Wednesday. Really would like to wait and find a good deal on a used MMF-3 but the Wings Over Houston Airshow is this weekend and really want to test out this lens. So, getting the MMF-3 new from the local camera store to ensure I have one (lost 3 auctions on a used one)

I am seriously thinking about getting the 2.0x TC and was looking for any input on using it with this lens. Basically want to know if the results are acceptable, how is it compared to the m4/3 75-300, etc.

2. Nam-in-Sonoma

Nam-in-Sonoma Mu-43 Veteran

Aug 23, 2012
    Penngrove, CA
    What body do you use with?

I would recommend that you stick with the EC 1.4 because with the Ec 2.0 you loose 2 stops unless you shoot in a very bright environment.

With my E-M5 le 50-200 SWD AF is very slow, but I don't have experience with the E-M1 since I don't own one.

However I use it time to time for static shooting

[​IMG]SF...October Orange by Nam Ing, on Flickr

[​IMG]Partial Solar Eclipse by Nam Ing, on Flickr

[​IMG]Moon over the City by Nam Ing, on Flickr
    • Like Like x 4
  3. tradesmith45

tradesmith45 Mu-43 All-Pro

Dec 13, 2012
    I own the ZD300 f2.8 which I use lots w/ the EC14 (amazing IQ) w/ an E-M1. Have been considering the SWD 50-200 & a EC20 but keep pulling back. And I've been doing lots of plane shooting both full size & RC models. Here's my thoughts on the topic & hope they are helpful.

Take a look over here for my report about the C-AF speed of the ZD300: https://www.mu-43.com/showthread.php?t=70131&p=705037#post705037

You may already know all this & if so i apologize for taking your time. Note these tests are with the focus limiter on & the 50-200 does not have a limiter. It will therefore hunt more & be slower. The nice thing about the SWD you got is its mechanical focus ring. Very valuable since the OMD does not have C-AF+MF. So technique will likely be important for getting the best AF speed out of your lens - you can find several posts about this both here & over at DPR. Try using the focus ring to pre-focus on planes before you half-press the shutter button or start a sequence.

As for comparisons w/ the m4/3 75-300, I've seen reports that it is faster for C-AF than the 50-200 & others that it is slower. My conclusion is it probably depends on the subject. As for IQ comparisons w/ the EC14, there again, I've seen comparisons both ways so it depends on your particular lenses which is sharper. But overall that means the 2 lenses are close for both IQ & AF.

I love using the EC14 on the ZD300 & the pro wildlife photog I bought the lens from never took the EC14 off. I rarely do either. He tried the EC20 & found it was just too slow to be practical. I've used several 2x TCs on older but very sharp super teles & have always been disappointed. Heck, I've even stacked a 2x w/ a 1.7x TC - OMG. An issue rarely discussed is how very hard it is to nail the focus when using a 2x TC using either MF or AF. The ultra high precision required when using a 2x TC means even if the optical performance is acceptable, frequent small focus misses will happen & mean lots of unsharp images. This is the reason I've held off buying an EC20 - doubt that even w/ a great lens like the ZD300, I'll be disappointed.

But I've seen several images from 50-200 owners using the EC20 & for web images, they were at least usable. But I've also seen some using just the EC14 that were definitely soft. I suggest you try out your new 50-200 to see if you got a real good one before buying an EC20 since they aren't cheap even used.

What ever you do, you'll have lots of fun shooting the new setup but you may have to adapt your technique some.
    • Like Like x 1
  4. AussiePhil

AussiePhil Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jun 1, 2014
    Canberra, ACT, Aust
    Jealous and depressed..... I kept losing auctions on 50-200's so just pre-ordered the new 40-150+1.4 and waiting now.
    Enjoy your "new" 50-200 :smile:
  5. penfan2010

penfan2010 Mu-43 All-Pro

Nov 12, 2010
    NJ, USA
    i just got a 50-200 SWD as well, but do not use it with a TC. I only have the E-M5, so the lens does tend to hunt quite a bit initially. That said, the images are far sharper and have better contrast than the 75-300 mk ii which I also own, though that lens has much faster AF on the E-M5. What i do now is use the 75-300 when I know i need fast AF and the light is decent; the 50-200 SWD is great for images in low light and with fairly static subjects.

A few samples below which I have posted elsewhere on the site:

75-300 Mk II

50-200 SWD

• Like Like x 1
  6. Phocal

Jan 3, 2014
    I will be using it with my E-M1. With the 2.0 TC it will be a 100-400 ƒ5.6-7.1, but if it is still sharp we have some really bright days here in Texas.

Forgot got to add, some really wonderful images.....love the crescent moon behind the clouds (very Halloween)
  7. Phocal

Jan 3, 2014
    Thanks for your reply. I read your post about focusing speed the other day (great post by the way). Oh......so jealous......really want the ZD300 (have a special savings account set up to save for it).

Saturday I will be using it at the air show......not sure if I am going to bring the 75-300 or not. Kind of want to go as light as I can.......will be bringing by E-M1, E-M5 (carry both with the BlackRapid two camera strap), ZD50-200, 12-50 (will be mounted on the E-M5 for static plane shots, last time I went I had the wonderful Tokina 11-16 on my 7D and wish I had a wider lens for my Olympus, just switched to Olympus in January so still getting lenses), and my 60mm Macro (just incase I want some small detail shots). Plan to carry my supplies (batteries, 60mm, snacks) in my Camel Back and thing adding the 75-300 may just be a bit much. I do plan to test the ZD50-200 (with and without TC) against the 75-300 and hope that with the TC it will allow me to replace the 75-300. With the TC it will be 280mm and I try hard to not go past about 250 with the 75-300, just sucks having to check that before shooting and will be nice to know I can full zoom and shoot.

I have looked at a lot of photos taken with the 50-200 and see mixed things all the time. While the internet is great for research I have found when it comes to photography there is a lot to be taken with a grain of salt. A photographers ability and technique make such a huge difference when you are shooting long glass. A good example is some of the recent photos using the new 40-150 Pro that I have seen. Some of the review photos I have seen are just terrible and would put me off buying the lens. Then I see the photos Robin Wong took with the lens and it makes me want it now. I know I have good technique using long glass and plan to test this lens fully in combination with/without the TC's and against the 75-300.
  8. Phocal

Jan 3, 2014
    Thanks. I want and will get the 40-150 but figure I will wait and pick up a used copy later next year and save some money. It is just not long enough to replace my 75-300 for bird photos (the ZD50-200 is with the 1.4TC).
  9. Phocal

Jan 3, 2014
    Nice images. I am really hoping that with the TC it is able to replace my 75-300. I will keep the 75-300 (it really is a pretty damn good lens) for the times that portability is desired, like multi-day backpacking trips and such.
    • Like Like x 1
  10. tradesmith45

tradesmith45 Mu-43 All-Pro

Dec 13, 2012
    Btw, the 75-300 was until recently the best 150 available for m43- truly stunning if slow.
    • Like Like x 2
  11. mattia

mattia Mu-43 Hall of Famer

May 3, 2012
    The Netherlands
    I have the 50-200 SWD and the 1.4 teleconverter. AF speed is perfectly acceptable with the E-M1, albeit not as fast as native m43 options. The setup is large but manageable, similar in size and heft to the 40-150/2.8 but it does extend and there's the thickness and weight of the adapter to consider.

Most recommendations I saw were to avoid the 2x TC for the 50-200 due to softness and so so performance. The 1.4 works great, particularly stopped down a touch. Good loo lens technique is still a must to get the most out of this and any long lens.
    • Like Like x 1
  12. Phocal

Jan 3, 2014
    My hopes for the 2x TC are not high but want to give it a try, can always resell it if I don't like and break even. I actually want the extra weight over the 75-300. I can handhold my 34 year old Canon FD 400mm without much problem (got great sharp photos using it on my Fuji without IS even) but have a harder time handholding the 75-300. For most things having smaller and lighter is a huge advantage but I have found that with long glass, lighter is a huge disadvantage. Small movements causes the view thru a long lens to shift a lot. Light lenses need less muscle to move, so I have found heavier (to a point, at a certain weight muscle fatigue comes into play) lenses easier to handhold. The SWD will be shorter and lighter than my FD 400mm and I am hoping the perfect size/weight for handholding.
  13. Phocal

Jan 3, 2014
    Saturday I will get to test it out at the airshow and Sunday I will be testing it out at a cyclocross race.
  14. kenez

kenez Mu-43 Regular

Apr 18, 2012
    I have both the ZD 50-200mm SWD and the EC-20 teleconverter. I think it is a perfectly useable combination in good light. I don't really see any difference in AF speed with or without the converter when using my EM-1. It might be a tad soft compared to the EC-14 but when you are shooting telephoto that extra reach can make all the difference and there is a big difference between 40% extra reach and 100% extra reach albeit with the trade off of the additional one stop of light loss. As the OP said, he can always resell it and recoup most, if not all, of his investment so why not give it a try? KEH has one for $352 with case and caps that seems like a reasonably good deal.
    • Like Like x 1
  15. Phocal

Jan 3, 2014
    Thanks for the report. I saw that on KEH, going to try and pick one up a bit cheaper off ebay. Got my 1.4x for about half what KEH wants so keeping my fingers crossed.
  16. ASilvertooth

ASilvertooth New to Mu-43

Oct 28, 2014
    Where are you finding new Olympus gear in Houston? I haven't been camera shopping lately, but I keep getting the bug to at least go look. HCE on Richmond is a long drive from Galveston County, I am have not bee there for a while. Enjoy Wings Over Houston! I'm headed for the Brazos River Valley!
  17. Phocal

Jan 3, 2014
    HCE carries Olympus gear, well they have m4/3 stuff but no 4/3 gear. Was shocked that they had the MMF-3 in stock actually. Thanks and have fun at Brazos.