ZD 14-54mm f/2.8-3.5 mkII

Discussion in 'Adapted Lenses' started by mclarenf3, Apr 15, 2011.

1. mclarenf3

mclarenf3 Mu-43 Veteran

Nov 23, 2010
    So, for the past week I have been doing a lot of photography at work also. It's been nice to be able to shoot photos while at work (I'm an IT Tech so photography really doesn't fall into my job description ;) ).

Through the week I've had a chance to really get used to all of my u4/3 lenses and really learn the advantages and disadvantages to them (and they all have them).

I was really surprised, though, at the amazing performance of the ZD 14-54mm mkII on my G2. Focusing wasn't that fast, but I would say it was only marginally slower than the 20mm f/1.7. The photos from it were great, and it was able to lock focus without hunting much at all.

On my E-PL1, that lens with the adapter dwarfs the camera and doesn't feel natural with it. But with the G2, I found it to be a very good match and felt good shooting with it.

Generally I only had my 14-54mm mkII with my E-1 for rough weather shooting. However, I think I'm going to be packing it in with my u4/3 gear a lot more often!
  2. Luckypenguin

Luckypenguin .

Oct 9, 2010
    Brisbane, Australia
    Was the MkII a "CDAF friendly" lens?
  3. bilzmale

bilzmale Mu-43 All-Pro

Yes the Mk II is optimised for CDAF. I'd like one as a walk around for the GH1.
    • Like Like x 1
  4. Van

Van Mu-43 Regular

Apr 10, 2011
    I use the same lens on my GH2 and I agree, it's pretty great (expect for the sluggish autofocus you mentioned).
  5. mclarenf3

mclarenf3 Mu-43 Veteran

Nov 23, 2010
    Ya, it is a bit sluggish compared to some other u43 lenses, but it still focuses about the same speed as the 20mm which is my breaking point.