ZD 12-60 on E-P2 disappoints.

Discussion in 'Open Discussion' started by bilzmale, Mar 25, 2010.

1. bilzmale

bilzmale Mu-43 All-Pro

I love my 12-60 on the E-3 - it is silky smooth and fast!! Thought I'd try it on the E-P2 and was surprised at how much trouble it had focussing. The conditions were bright and sunny but the lens hunted and took its time finding focus.

Has anyone experienced this?

The photos I got had nice colour and detail but as you can see from the activity I needed speedy focus and missed the 'moment' far too often. (it was the only lens and body I had with me at babysitting)

[​IMG]

• Like Like x 2
  2. Brian Mosley

Brian Mosley Administrator Emeritus Charter Member

Dec 15, 2009
    Hi Bill, thanks for sharing... a fun shot in glorious weather (sigh, it's wet and foggy here this morning)!

The 12-60mm SWD + 4/3rds adapter is a pretty heavy lens, and I'm coming to the conclusion that the mZD 14-42mm f3.5-5.6 is better to use, given that I'm focusing more on content than 'world class IQ' - the colour, quality of light and subject with good IQ in a super compact form feels like the right balance for me right now.

As for focusing, you can honestly do a hell of a lot with pre-focusing and depth of field... I'm quite happy to shoot the 20mm f1.7 at f3.5 with pre-focusing to capture fast moving subjects.

In your shot above, you're at f10, ISO 200, 1/640s so you completely removed the issue of focusing speed right there.

Have you configured your E-P2 to separate CDAF from the shutter release button? it's in the setup videos I did for the E-P2.

E-P2 + 20mm f1.7
    1/1250s f/1.7 at 20.0mm iso200
    [​IMG]

• Like Like x 2
  3. et100

et100 Mu-43 Regular

Feb 15, 2010
    Chicago area - USA
    Unfortunately ZD 12-60 does not support liveview CDAF, that's why the focus is so slow.

I am using my 14-54 mk II on E-PL1 and focuses fast. I believe this might be the only HG Oly lens with live-view CDAF for now.

4. bilzmale

bilzmale Mu-43 All-Pro

Yes I was told the same thing on another forum. One more reason to quit the 4/3 gear :biggrin:.

5. et100

et100 Mu-43 Regular

Feb 15, 2010
    Chicago area - USA
    well, if you have any HG/SHG glass for sale at deep discount let me know first! :cool: