1. Reminder: Please user our affiliate links to get to your favorite stores for holiday shopping!

Zack Arias: DSLR is dead

Discussion in 'Open Discussion' started by dav1dz, Apr 19, 2013.

1. dav1dz

dav1dz Mu-43 Top Veteran

Nov 6, 2012
    Canada
  2. Talanis

Talanis Mu-43 Top Veteran

Oct 15, 2012
    Sherbrooke, Canada
    Eric Cote
    Thanks for the link

3. edwardconde

edwardconde Mu-43 All-Pro

Nov 8, 2012
    Los Angeles, CA
    A very strong statement.... thanks for the link

4. cstevens

cstevens Mu-43 Veteran

Feb 11, 2010
    UK
    Have to say I think I agree with him lol….just can't bring myself to sell my last FF DSLRs

5. KVG

KVG Banned User

May 10, 2011
    yyc(Calgary, AB)
    Kelly Gibbons
    I love having a evf because I can see my exposure. I think ff mirrorless will put the final nail in the coffin for dslr's.

6. cstevens

cstevens Mu-43 Veteran

Feb 11, 2010
    UK
    Then just our customers to convince that me turning up with a couple of OM-D's and £1000's of M43 glass is no different than all the Nikon gear.

Thats when DSLR will be dead - hopefully most of my clients won't really care, glad I don't do weddings lol

7. Cruzan80

Cruzan80 Mu-43 All-Pro

Aug 23, 2012
    Denver, Co
    Sean Rastsmith
    It won't mean it's dead, just that mirrorless is just as viable a solution.

Everytime I see one of these "When will X die?", I think about how many other things I know (both camera and otherwise) which are still beloved by a small but cult following, but considered "dead" by the public... Trackballs, Atari's, belt-driven tools, etc. Nothing ever dies, just gains and loses dominance.

8. drewbot

drewbot Mu-43 Top Veteran

Oct 21, 2011
    Toronto, ON
    I bet he won't give up his Phase Ones any time soon....

9. migs

migs Mu-43 Regular

Dec 24, 2012
    RVA
    zack is the f'ing man. but old news is old.

10. demiro

demiro Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Nov 7, 2010
    For me, the DSLR is dead as a primary and singular system choice. But it is far from dead as a specific tool for specific tasks. I think Zack wanted to make sure his piece got plenty of attention.

11. dav1dz

dav1dz Mu-43 Top Veteran

Nov 6, 2012
    Canada
    Nobody would give up their Phase One system if they had one. It's like having a gold reserve.

12. slothead

slothead Mu-43 All-Pro

Aug 14, 2012
    Frederick, MD
  13. Bhupinder2002

Bhupinder2002 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

14. Mellow

Mellow Mu-43 All-Pro

Aug 27, 2010
    Florida or Idaho
    Tom
    OK here's my opinion:

Cool video, but it really doesn't compute. He's comparing a DLSR--digital single-lens reflex camera--with a fixed-lens mirrorless camera. The mirrorless camera is obviously way smaller, produces great output, but for goodness sake lacks one of the defining features of a DLSR--the ability to switch lenses. If he'd been using an OMD or GH3 I think it would be a much stronger argument.

15. jziegler

jziegler Mu-43 Veteran

Dec 15, 2012
    Salem County, New Jersey
    James
    I think saying DSLR is dead is a little early. DSLRs will still be around for a while, especially since Canon and Nikon aren't taking mirrorless very seriously so far. DSLRs will still be used for certain types of shooting (sports), but I know I have little interest in going back. And Zack seems very happy with his little Fuji (and it does look like a great little camera)

16. bongestrella

bongestrella Mu-43 Veteran

Sep 2, 2011
    Mechanicsburg, PA
    Two years in and DSLRs are still going strong. Sure their sales are starting to take a hit, but they don't seem to mind. Far from being dead if you ask me. I say your prediction was a fluke.

17. Bhupinder2002

Bhupinder2002 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

I agree ..jokes apart , DSLR wont be dead anytime soon and there is nothing wrong in choosing DSLR. We have such a wide choice of cameras these days and its all fun. I think Fuji gave Zack a BLANK CHECK this time. Next Fuji camera will be also the BEST camea he ever used . I dont get fooled by these bloggers and paid reviewers . I appreciate the experience of users on forums like this or try myself and buy what suits me .By the way ..I said future belongs to mirrorless and in long run mirror will disappear IMHO.
    Cheers
    Bhupinder

18. Talanis

Talanis Mu-43 Top Veteran

Oct 15, 2012
    Sherbrooke, Canada
    Eric Cote
    I won't say DSLR is dead but APS-C DSLR should be dying. I can't see any reason at the moment for someone to buy an APS-C DSLR. Ok, I can see two, Fauna and Sports. But give it another year or two and the tracking AF should be on par.
    I believe there is still a place for full frame sensor and there will always be a place for medium format as well. But APS-C? You have all the bulkiness of the FF without any benefit over micro 4/3. What's more? you can now buy a new full frame DSLR for under 2000$. I don't understand why anyone would want to buy a T5i, 60D or D7000 right now.

19. RT_Panther

RT_Panther Mu-43 Legend

May 4, 2011
    Texas
    Give me a Nikon D4 and I will assure you that the DSLR is not dead! :cool:

20. RT_Panther

RT_Panther Mu-43 Legend

May 4, 2011
    Texas