Z50 and Sigma 100-400

Just sorting these out but i did a crop just for fun, its needing some AF fine tune.

Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

Happy with my choice, never had anything to do with Canon, getting into the action with the Z50 but the weather has been against me.

ac12

Mu-43 All-Pro
Not bad for such a large crop
I found, with GOOD glass, you can crop fairly deep into a DX/APS-C image.
I surprised myself with the images from a Nikon 70-200/4 on a D7200. That told me that I did not have to go up to FX/FF, I just needed better lenses, to get the max resolution out of the DX sensor.
But that is the key, GOOD glass. And GOOD glass tends to be expensive.

speedy

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
What I do NOT like about the M6 is that there is no integrated EVF. The EVF is a slide on hot-shoe device.
Canon expects you to use the rear screen, just like a P&S or cell phone camera.
Ahhhh, no they don't, or they wouldn't make the detachable EVF. Which I'm pretty sure it's a tilting model, which is a huge bonus. Plus, they give you a pop up flash, which should work as a master. The add on for the original M does anyway.
Plus, you have the EF 1-400 mk II, and little gems like the 22 pancake, 11-22 EFM, 32 f/1.4 It's taken them (Canon) quite a while to get there, but it's starting to look pretty good. Especially with the new to the mount Sigma 56 & 16.

Real Name
Roddy
I wonder whether the M6ii will be the last of the M bodies, or whether a M5ii (or better) will appear. I confess that I fear for the M series now the full frame bodies have started. But if anyone can sustain so many different lines, Canon can for sure. A M5ii would be nice to have a play with for sure.

speedy

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
I wonder whether the M6ii will be the last of the M bodies, or whether a M5ii (or better) will appear. I confess that I fear for the M series now the full frame bodies have started. But if anyone can sustain so many different lines, Canon can for sure. A M5ii would be nice to have a play with for sure.
Nah, can't see it. EFS & EF will die for sure, along with all the crop DSLR'S. EF will be around for quite a while yet, EFM will take over from crop.

ac12

Mu-43 All-Pro
Ahhhh, no they don't, or they wouldn't make the detachable EVF. Which I'm pretty sure it's a tilting model, which is a huge bonus. Plus, they give you a pop up flash, which should work as a master. The add on for the original M does anyway.
Plus, you have the EF 1-400 mk II, and little gems like the 22 pancake, 11-22 EFM, 32 f/1.4 It's taken them (Canon) quite a while to get there, but it's starting to look pretty good. Especially with the new to the mount Sigma 56 & 16.
EF 1-400 :biggrin:

ac12

Mu-43 All-Pro
Personally the EF / EF-S / EF-M / RF Canon thing bugs me. At least with Nikon you have the F-Mount and Z-Mount; no need for FF vs APS-C.
And you have the MANY different lens/camera coupling mechanisms of the F mount.
When I look at a lens, I have to consult a compatibility chart to see if that lens will work with my camera.

davidzvi

Super Moderator
Real Name
David
And you have the MANY different lens/camera coupling mechanisms of the F mount.
When I look at a lens, I have to consult a compatibility chart to see if that lens will work with my camera.
Function compatibility and mount are not the same, at least not to me. I get that some find it frustrating; that the electronic diaphragm and newer AF-P electronic stepper motor lenses are an issue for those with older bodies (pre 2012?).

ac12

Mu-43 All-Pro
Function compatibility and mount are not the same, at least not to me. I get that some find it frustrating; that the electronic diaphragm and newer AF-P electronic stepper motor lenses are an issue for those with older bodies (pre 2012?).
THAT is the issue I have with the Nikon marketing.

Yes, the F mount itself is the same F mount since the Nikon F of the 1960s.

BUT when a F-lens looses functionality or is NON-functional on a F-mount camera, because of the lens to camera coupling, that is a major issue. And for all practical purpose, it then becomes the same as a different mount.
  • You cannot auto focus an AF lens on a D3xxx or D5xxx camera.
    • These cameras do not have the in-body AF motor for the AF lenses, so you can only manually focus the lens.
    • This is why I did NOT get a D5xxx. All my AF lenses would loose their auto-focus capability, and have to be manually focused.
  • You cannot use the AI function on an AI lens on the D7500.
    • The D7500 does not have the AI linkage, so you have to use stop down metering with AI lenses.
  • I cannot turn off the VR on an AFP lens on my D7200, which is only 1 generation older than the current D7500.
    • So I cannot turn off VR, for use on a tripod.
  • You cannot focus AT ALL, with a AFP lens on an older body.
    • The focus ring is "focus by wire," not mechanically linked.
    • This is one of the worst incompatibility, as the lens is totally useless, in this situation.
  • etc, etc.
So is the mount just the mechanical mount, or does it include the coupling (mechanical or electronic)?
IMHO, in Nikon's case, you cannot ignore the coupling, or you could be shooting yourself in the foot.

davidzvi

Super Moderator
Real Name
David
THAT is the issue I have with the Nikon marketing.

Yes, the F mount itself is the same F mount since the Nikon F of the 1960s.

BUT when a F-lens looses functionality or is NON-functional on a F-mount camera, because of the lens to camera coupling, that is a major issue. And for all practical purpose, it then becomes the same as a different mount.
  • You cannot auto focus an AF lens on a D3xxx or D5xxx camera.
    • These cameras do not have the in-body AF motor for the AF lenses, so you can only manually focus the lens.
    • This is why I did NOT get a D5xxx. All my AF lenses would loose their auto-focus capability, and have to be manually focused.
  • You cannot use the AI function on an AI lens on the D7500.
    • The D7500 does not have the AI linkage, so you have to use stop down metering with AI lenses.
  • I cannot turn off the VR on an AFP lens on my D7200, which is only 1 generation older than the current D7500.
    • So I cannot turn off VR, for use on a tripod.
  • You cannot focus AT ALL, with a AFP lens on an older body.
    • The focus ring is "focus by wire," not mechanically linked.
    • This is one of the worst incompatibility, as the lens is totally useless, in this situation.
  • etc, etc.
So is the mount just the mechanical mount, or does it include the coupling (mechanical or electronic)?
IMHO, in Nikon's case, you cannot ignore the coupling, or you could be shooting yourself in the foot.
Believe it or not, I do know all that and actually chose to simplify my answer as to not hijack the thread. Please also note I did say "personally" and "to me".

ac12

Mu-43 All-Pro
I like Nikon, the only reason i gave up on them was m4/3 was a lot lighter than my D500, i saw the Z50 as an opportunity to get back into Nikon without the weight.
But how about the lenses?
I drew a line in the sand, where I would not get a DX/FX lens over 300mm (6x). Too heavy and bulky for this old man.
For anything longer than 6x, I use my m4/3 gear; Olympus 75-300 (12x).

Latest posts

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Mu-43 is a fan site and not associated with Olympus, Panasonic, or other manufacturers mentioned on this site.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Copyright © 2009-2019 Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom