Z Camera unveiled the E1, a GoPro-style camera that uses a Micro Four Thirds sensor

Discussion in 'Micro 4/3 News and Rumors' started by techsplorer, Jul 18, 2015.

1. ahinesdesign

ahinesdesign Mu-43 Veteran

Dec 6, 2011
    NC, USA
    Aaron
    This looks more interesting than the Olympus Air, although its a lot more expensive...

2. battleaxe

battleaxe Mu-43 Top Veteran

3. techsplorer

techsplorer Mu-43 Regular

May 8, 2015
    Townsend, TN
    Rodion "Rod" Molina
    It definitely makes the Air seem like a bargain, but 4K helps justify the price a bit. The usability and features between the phone app and the body will make all the difference.

4. LowriderS10

LowriderS10 Monkey with a camera.

May 19, 2013
    Canada
    Better than the Air for sure...wouldn't give up my GoPro for this, though!

5. pdk42

pdk42 One of the "Eh?" team

Jan 11, 2013
    Leamington Spa, UK
    I thought the whole point of the GoPro was to be robust, wether-resistant etc. This camera seems to offer neither. Can't see the point really - why not just use a GM5 or whatever?

6. techsplorer

May 8, 2015
    Townsend, TN
    Rodion "Rod" Molina
    Many video productions use GoPros to provide cutaway or hidden camera angles but you're stuck with the built in lens. Plus GoPros are only weather resistant inside a sealed case, which will most likely be available for the E1 (though trickier with all of the possible lens configurations). This thing would still be smaller and less obtrusive than a GM5 with 4K capabilities too. So It will be interesting to see how the E1 is marketed, or how/if a market embraces it. It seems like it would probably fit somewhere between action selfie and video production users.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  7. battleaxe

I asked the E1 team a few questions via kickstarter and this is the answers I got.
    1. The screen is 2.4 inch and we might work on better screen in the future but we won't sacrifice the size of the camera to get a good panel on the camera. I think small is very important.

2. Taking picture isn't the major use case for this camera but we still have plenty of still capture options included. The battery life varies when lens is different(different lens consumes different power). We will update battery life based on Panasonic 14mm lens with CIPA standard test procedure.

3. The camera is too small to have IBIS. But we will upgrade by firmware to let 1080p video recording to have EIS. Lens IS on Panasonic works for this camera.

4. It's electronic shutter and the minimum shutter speed is 1/8000. For photo we are working on 60s long exposure.

5. So far we don't have external flash option for photo to be considered as we don't have mechanical shutter.

• Like Like x 1
  8. Zee

Zee Mu-43 Top Veteran

Interesting, I'll keep an eye on this...

On a side note - what the heck is the range of drones, and wifi(or whatever) tethering for these things? I keep getting visions in my head of a drone falling out of the sky with one of my nice lenses used as the primary crumple zone to protect the drone...

Z...

Last edited: Jul 29, 2015
  9. techsplorer

May 8, 2015
    Townsend, TN
    Rodion "Rod" Molina

Or worse... Imagine losing the whole kit: http://dslrvideoshooter.com/15000-camera-drone-disappears-amazon-rain-forest/

10. Zee

Zee Mu-43 Top Veteran

11. imahawki

imahawki Mu-43 Regular

Aug 12, 2014
    Depending on the drone, losing connectivity doesn't mean it just commits suicide. Anything high end enough to have expensive gear on board is going to have a "return home" feature. So it would take a more significant technical failure than just a lost signal due to range.

12. barry13

barry13 Super Moderator; Photon Wrangler

Mar 7, 2014
    Southern California
    Barry
    The return home function on DJI isn't smart enough to clear tall trees or other tall obstacles, relative to the current position.

Barry

• Agree Agree x 1
  13. battleaxe

What ever happened to this?

14. Rambling Sam

Rambling Sam Mu-43 Regular

May 27, 2016
    Reading, Berkshire, UK
    Sam
    I'm just wondering if Z Cameras have asked Olympus if they can use the E-1 name ... Some companies get really annoyed and litigious when other makers use their product names!

Surely, the main reason people buy GoPros is because they are really small; However, being able to put a m4/3rds lens on it, is going to deliver a camera, only marginally smaller than the smallest of the m4/3rds cameras. If keeping the camera really small is one of the objectives of the Z Camera designers, why not design something that uses a Nikon 1 size sensor, and that model's range of lenses?

15. John M Flores

John M Flores Mu-43 All-Pro

Jan 7, 2011
    Somerville, NJ
    It's out. Ads for it chase me on Facebook. Available at B&H I think.

I can understand the appeal. I've been using a Pentax Q as a crash camera, mostly for stills.

13903562005_30271a71cc_c.
    Ontario_RoadRUNNER_Jun14.pdf
    by John Flores, on Flickr

I never grokked to the GoPros because they're not really optimized for stills. I just got the Panny 8mm 3.5 and will be using it with the GX85 for some rigged stills and video shots this summer. I feel a little nervous about hanging $1k in gear off of a motorcycle, but sometimes you gotta take risks.

• Like Like x 2
  16. wbuzatto

wbuzatto Mu-43 Regular

Nov 17, 2011
    Campinas, SP - Brazil
    Walmyr T. Buzatto
    I purchased the Z-Camera E1 on a recent trip to Paris, but hadn't tried it seriously yet. This weekend I took it to the beach and shot a series of 4K-videos of birds, with the camera mounted on a tripod, with the Oly 12-40 Pro on it and operated remotely through the iPhone app. I was positively surprised with the results. Below a short sample, loaded in full resolution to Youtube.

• Like Like x 5
  17. NoSeconds

NoSeconds Mu-43 All-Pro

The P8 is pretty cool for quick panning video, I used it last weekend to follow my young bloke around a skate park on my EM1 and was pretty impressed at how the footage turned out for a half-arsed effort... If I can figure out how to get it onto YouTube I'll post a link...

18. Joe Smith

Joe Smith Mu-43 Regular

Mar 6, 2016
    • Informative Informative x 2