Yr-Aran views of the western edge of snowdonia

Siejones

Mu-43 Rookie
From an ascent trip early in the year.

Stitch_5_sb_cc.jpg
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

P1010730.jpg

P1010907.jpg

P1010967.jpg

P1020005.jpg

P1020114_qb.jpg

Streetshooter

Administrator Emeritus
You have been blessed to live a reality like that.
Thanks for sharing your vision.
I'd love to read some thoughts you had while living it, if you don't mind.
Don

Siejones

Mu-43 Rookie
You have been blessed to live a reality like that.
Thanks for sharing your vision.
I'd love to read some thoughts you had while living it, if you don't mind.
Don

I would love to write paragraphs of a poetic vision but being a very logical and methodical person I am not much good at that sort of thing ;)

I can tell you what I did and what I planned for.

The photograph I had in mind was number 1 the pano of the south side of Snowdon. To do it I had to ascend a mountain to the south called Yr-Aran and from the summit I would get the view I wanted. I chose that position because I knew the setting sun would give side lighting to the peak and I timed my acsent so that I would be on the summit in time for the good light (there is no standing around waiting in winter on the top of exposed peaks).

I knew there would be mixed weather and most possibly snow. I could not have predicted the perfect photographic conditions that enveloped. In the distance there were dark heavy snow clouds while the late evening light kissed the south west faces giving the wonderful contrast. Everywhere I looked it seemed something amazing was happening. I got my pano and more. It was a good day for photography.

All the time the snow clouds moved closer until they caught up with me still shooting until the very last second. The winds picked up dramatically and the snow fell. I very quickly became very cold and I knew I had to get off the mountain as quickly as possible. The sun had set and the cold of the night threatened. A combination of being in cloud and snow gives white out conditions and I could hardly see in front of me. Luckly my descent was on a ridge in one direction so navigation wasn't to difficult and I managed to get down safely.

An experiance I won't forget soon :)

These are amazing. Hopefully I will get the chance to go there some time, how accessible is it?

These were from the top of a mountain called Yr-Aran which is about a 2500ft ascent according to where you start from. If you are resonably fit it shouldn't pose much of a problem.

Rhys

I especially love the first two shots. I'm off to Snowdon next week but bet I get nothing that good!

Did you use ND filters?

Streetshooter

Administrator Emeritus
Thank you kind sir for the story.
I think you wrote about the experience very well.
Thanks..... I'll continue to monitor your images...
and stories....

Fiddler

Mu-43 Veteran
Well you certainly brought home some magnificent photographs. Glad you kept your weather eye open:)

I would love to write paragraphs of a poetic vision but being a very logical and methodical person I am not much good at that sort of thing ;)

I can tell you what I did and what I planned for.

The photograph I had in mind was number 1 the pano of the south side of Snowdon. To do it I had to ascend a mountain to the south called Yr-Aran and from the summit I would get the view I wanted. I chose that position because I knew the setting sun would give side lighting to the peak and I timed my acsent so that I would be on the summit in time for the good light (there is no standing around waiting in winter on the top of exposed peaks).

I knew there would be mixed weather and most possibly snow. I could not have predicted the perfect photographic conditions that enveloped. In the distance there were dark heavy snow clouds while the late evening light kissed the south west faces giving the wonderful contrast. Everywhere I looked it seemed something amazing was happening. I got my pano and more. It was a good day for photography.

All the time the snow clouds moved closer until they caught up with me still shooting until the very last second. The winds picked up dramatically and the snow fell. I very quickly became very cold and I knew I had to get off the mountain as quickly as possible. The sun had set and the cold of the night threatened. A combination of being in cloud and snow gives white out conditions and I could hardly see in front of me. Luckly my descent was on a ridge in one direction so navigation wasn't to difficult and I managed to get down safely.

An experiance I won't forget soon :)

These were from the top of a mountain called Yr-Aran which is about a 2500ft ascent according to where you start from. If you are resonably fit it shouldn't pose much of a problem.

petersandbach

Mu-43 Rookie
I think my personal favorite is number 2. The dramatic sky and the sunlit lower slopes' contrast does it for me. Thank you for such beautiful images!

Iconindustries

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Thanks Siejones. I live in a tack flat plain and to see these monolithic mountains of dirt and stone is an awesome experience. I love the first image and even though the picture is small you've done an excellent job in creating and conveying the 'massiveness' . Amazing crispness also.

Latest threads

Top Bottom