Your unbiased opinion please...

Discussion in 'Open Discussion' started by Massimo, Aug 14, 2016.

1. Massimo

Massimo Mu-43 Regular

Jul 10, 2016
    I'll be in Europe this September for a month. My kit of choice is my EM-1, Oly 12-40 PRO, Panasonic 20mm, f1.7 II and my Rokinon 7.5mm, f3.5 little wonder. Lately I've been considering adding a Panasonic GX-7 body to the mix as a back-up body in case something fails with the EM-1 and for fewer lens changes and for days where I juts want to travel super light at my various destinations. But I'm considering the extra travel weight and can't quite decide. Your thoughts? Thank you.

2. agentlossing

agentlossing Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Jun 26, 2013
    Andrew Lossing
    Get a GM1 or GM5. They're pretty much the best backup camera, since they offer such a different experience that they just fit into situations when the EM1 won't do. Plus they're super affordable right now!

• Agree Agree x 2
  3. Massimo

Massimo Mu-43 Regular

Jul 10, 2016
    Thank you for your input. I'm not in the market for yet another body, Again, thank you.

4. NoTan2

NoTan2 Mu-43 Regular

Mar 16, 2014
    Newcastle NSW Australia
    Paul
    I had the same thoughts as you for a Europe trip in 2014. Took an E-M5 with a 12-40 and decided that I "needed" an E-P5 as a backup. Generally kept a Sigma 19 on it. Other lenses were a 40-150 and a Sigma 60.
    All fitted into a Tenba Messenger Mini along with a laptop.

But it was just too heavy to carry around comfortably.

In the end, since it was a coach tour and the coach was well guarded, I just took either camera as the mood took me and the 40-150 which was small enough to fit on my person somewhere. Left the bag and everything else on the coach.
    It was more or less manageable without the laptop.

My plan was to use the E-P5 for restaurants etc but I felt it was still just a bit too big. A 20mm f1.7 would have been a better choice.

5. ijm5012

ijm5012 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Oct 2, 2013
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Ian
    What's a GX7 weigh, 300-400 grams? Are you doing something where you'll notice that small amount of weight?

Another option could be to pick up something like another E-M1. They go for about $500 used now, and the benefit of having two of the same cameras is that you can set them up the exact same way, they share the same batteries, etc.

Another option would be something like a Sony RX100M3. My typical one-lens travel kit used to be the 12-35 f/2.8 on my GH4. But I sold my 12-35 and picked up an RX100M4 to take as my travel camera. Super small, 20MP images that really aren't much different than my m43 cameras, it has an EVF, and it covers the same range as my 12-35 did all while basically giving me a 24mm f/1.8 prime lens on the wide end as well. They too go for about $500 used, I've even seen some sell at $450.

The cheapest option would be picking up a used E-M5. They sell for around $200 used, take the same batteries as your E-M1, and offer basically the same IQ.

Having seen just how well the RX100M3/M4 performs, I would be inclined to buy a RX100M3 and take it instead of the 12-40 PRO, and then use the 20mm and 7.5 FE on the E-M1.

6. Massimo

Massimo Mu-43 Regular

Jul 10, 2016
    Great input. Thank you gentlemen.

7. ijm5012

Oct 2, 2013
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Ian
    The one thing I'll add to this is that if you're taking a nice long vacation like this, would you really want to be in a situation where if something did happen to your E-M1 and you didn't have a backup with you'd just be left with your cell phone?

The great thing about the E-M5 option is that it's fully at the bottom of its depreciation curve. So you could buy it, use it for 2 months, then resell it once you get back and have it basically cost you nothing other than shipping expenses. Plus, it's pretty damn cheap.

The RX100M3 and E-M1 are more expensive options, but the same general principal applies. They've been out for a while so are pretty stable in price (the E-M1 may be a bit more volatile due to the release of the E-M1 II next month, so prices may drop a bit, but not much).

Either way, I'm not certain I'd want to embark on a great trip like this with only one camera, just because with my luck something would happen to the camera. By buying a used camera, using it, and then reselling it once you get back, you get a "safety net" in case anything were to happen, but it's basically a super cheap way to "rent" gear for an extended period of time, provided you have the funds to buy the camera prior to reselling it.

I don't think you can go wrong with any option, but I would definitely recommend getting SOMETHING so that you have 2 cameras with you.

8. jimr.pdx

jimr.pdx Mu-43 Veteran

Dec 5, 2010
    near Longview ~1hr from PDX
    Jim R
    Rather than two menu systems (which I find very different), I would consider maybe ePL5 or even ePM2? An EP5 takes the same battery but definitely costs more than a used copy of the smaller cameras. Menus are not identical of course, but much more similar than the GX7 menus.

9. Massimo

Massimo Mu-43 Regular

Jul 10, 2016
    ijm5012, thank you, that seals it. The GX-7 goes, you are right. Thank you all for the help.

10. fredlong

fredlong Just this guy...

Apr 18, 2011
    Massachusetts USA
    Fred
    From this, I'm guessing you already have the GX7.

Take it! You may not need a back-up body, but if you do and you don't have it, looking at those lenses every day will be REALLY frustrating.

Fred

11. Massimo

Massimo Mu-43 Regular

Jul 10, 2016
    haha, yes, I already have the GX-7 (outstanding little camera). You are right, it would be a bummer. Thank you.

12. Steven

Steven Mu-43 All-Pro

May 25, 2012
    USA
    Are you bringing any kind of back-up camera with you? I would bring something, even a good point-and-shoot. Won't you be sorry if something happens to EM1 and you have no camera at all? I know I would be. I am sure compared to the cost of the trip, a previous generation m43 body costs very little, so yes, I would bring it. GX7 is an excellent choice. Image quality is same as latest Olympus models IMHO.

13. Massimo

Massimo Mu-43 Regular

Jul 10, 2016
    Yes, the GX-7. Thank you for your opinion.

14. PacNWMike

PacNWMike Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Dec 5, 2014
    Salish Sea
    guess?
    My unbiased opinion:
    Frankly I would never take that much camera stuff.

15. budeny

budeny Mu-43 All-Pro

Mar 4, 2014
    Boulder, CO
    That much? It's basically one body and lens plus two very small specialized lenses.
    Backup body for a month long trip sounds wise too.

16. ijm5012

Oct 2, 2013
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Ian
    @Massimo@Massimo , ah I see, you already own the GX7 and are simply wondering if you should bring it or not. In that case, then absolutely! It costs you nothing money wise, adds very little weight and size to your gear, but is there in case you need it.

@PacNWMike@PacNWMike, for a month-long trip to Europe, you wouldn't bring two m43 bodies, the 12-40 PRO and two tiny lenses like the 20/1.7 and 7.5 FE? I guess my question is, why would you risk all of your vacation photos on a single camera, just in the event that something were to happen (either the camera fails by itself, or it accidentally gets dropped and malfunctions, etc.)? Personally, I would hate to book such an amazing vacation, only to be left with cell phone shots because I didn't bring another camera that's barely larger than a pack of cigarettes.

• Agree Agree x 1
  17. Klorenzo

Klorenzo Mu-43 All-Pro

Mar 10, 2014
    Lorenzo
    Honestly I would never take a backup camera in Europe: you can get about any camera new anywhere in one day from Amazon or many other stores. Then you have many retail stores, with worst prices. And there are also tons of ebay offers from about any country for used bodies (UK, Germany, etc.). If the camera should really ever fail just buy another one on the run. If you are moving a lot just call the next hotel and get it delivered there.
    The weight and space of the extra body for a quite remote eventuality is not worth IMO. Do a simple travel insurance and you may even get a refund.

In the mean time enjoy a different camera-less experience day.

18. DoofClenas

DoofClenas Who needs a Mirror!

Nov 9, 2012
    Traverse City, MI
    Clint
    EPM-2 with the 20mm is my little pocket ninja.

19. ijm5012

Oct 2, 2013
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Ian
    I have a hard time seeing how someone could or would justify the expense of buying another camera during their vacation rather than bringing one that they already have purchased, all in an effort to save the amount of space occupied by a 5"x3"x2" box weighing 0.88 lbs. The size and shape of the GX7 body means that it can literally be stuffed in a crevice in whatever bag is being brought along. Hell, you could stick it inside of a pair of rolled-up jeans in your suitcase for that matter. We're talking about a GX7 here, not a D800 or 5D3.

Personally, I'd rather bring a camera I already own and spend more money on experiences/items during my vacation, rather than having to spend that money on buying a camera that I could have just brought with me.

• Agree Agree x 1
  20. Klorenzo

Klorenzo Mu-43 All-Pro

Mar 10, 2014
    Lorenzo
    Ian, check the original post: he is trying to travel light, weight is his primary concern. Maybe he's using a backpack, I do not know. In the vast majority of my travels an extra body is not a reasonable option.
    And the extra cost is NOT a certain thing, it's just an eventuality (even a remote one in my experience, I had only one camera failure in 10 years, while I was at home). So if everything goes fine you save weight, space, money, etc. If something goes wrong you'll handle it easily. You can also resell the camera as soon as you are back at home (loosing money, of course).

You cannot bring a backup for anything, right? Two kindles, two smartphones, two power packs, two tablets and an extra 12-40 just in case? It's a balance between risk, certain upfront cost, potential resolution cost, etc.

If he's moving around with a big roller suitcase from taxi to hotel and so on then they yes, the body (and the extra charger) are hardly an issue. But then this thread would not make much sense to begin with.