Your Top 5 for August

gnarlydog australia

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
Damiano Visocnik
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
They migrate through Albufera and are far more free to fly that we are...
interesting; there is something weird about the background on those bird... two of them appear to be in front of a wall?.... which led me to think they are in some sort of enclosure :hmmm: unless they like to hang in very urban settings while on their journey?

SteveAdler

Mu-43 Top Veteran
interesting; there is something weird about the background on those bird... two of them appear to be in front of a wall?.... which led me to think they are in some sort of enclosure :hmmm: unless they like to hang in very urban settings while on their journey?
I changed the background of the photos to add texture, but they were all taken "au nature."

gnarlydog australia

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
Damiano Visocnik
I changed the background of the photos to add texture, but they were all taken "au nature."
ah, that starts to make sense to me: make them look like the birds are against a concrete/burlap wall ;)

PS... in my inbox I see you had a slightly different version of events, before you edit it?
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

Last edited:

retiredfromlife

Mu-43 Hall of Famer

gnarlydog australia

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
Damiano Visocnik
yes, its photography. I like to be creative and use many different techniques. What about you?
I try to be creative too and don't limit myself to "out of the camera" since I am not a photojournalist with professional constraints.
Liberal abandon of any technique is fair game in my book, as long as the end result appears tasteful to me; but what is tasteful for one viewer can be gaudy for another.
In the end of the day there two types of photographers: crowd pleasers chasing "likes" and creative ones willing to express their vision risking criticism.
As long as there is honesty it's all good to me :)

SteveAdler

Mu-43 Top Veteran
I try to be creative too and don't limit myself to "out of the camera" since I am not a photojournalist with professional constraints.
Liberal abandon of any technique is fair game in my book, as long as the end result appears tasteful to me; but what is tasteful for one viewer can be gaudy for another.
In the end of the day there two types of photographers: crowd pleasers chasing "likes" and creative ones willing to express their vision risking criticism.
As long as there is honesty it's all good to me :)
What do you mean by honesty?

gnarlydog australia

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
Damiano Visocnik
What do you mean by honesty?
oh, you know, those that say that their images are unadulterated and are "straight out of the camera" touting that their images are pure and truthful, superior. But then found out later that indeed it is not the case.
If interested I found this video by Sean Tucker striking the right chord with me

Great entries as always everyone!! I did a couple of model shoots in August. Below a couple of my favorites. All shot with my Pen F and Voigt 42.5. The first one is edited with 1860s tintype simulation and masking back in the lovely red dress color.
GIna_Red_Tintype2.jpeg

IMG_20200830_153656_449.jpg

IMG_20200830_150944_357.jpg

P8220776-1.jpeg

P8220569.jpeg

Phil.H

Mu-43 All-Pro

SteveAdler

Mu-43 Top Veteran
oh, you know, those that say that their images are unadulterated and are "straight out of the camera" touting that their images are pure and truthful, superior. But then found out later that indeed it is not the case.
If interested I found this video by Sean Tucker striking the right chord with me
Human eyes can't see the full spectrum of light, therefore all our notions of "reality" are perceptual. And any time you choose an aperture, move the zoom ring, switch from landscape to portrait, or overlay texture on the background of a bird photo in GIMP, you are choosing your reality.

I personally don't care about your notions of honesty. Thank you.

gnarlydog australia

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
Damiano Visocnik
Human eyes can't see the full spectrum of light, therefore all our notions of "reality" are perceptual. And any time you choose an aperture, move the zoom ring, switch from landscape to portrait, or overlay texture on the background of a bird photo in GIMP, you are choosing your reality.

I personally don't care about your notions of honesty. Thank you.
I am not sure if I am understood here correctly, because I fully agree with your process on photography.
I am all for manipulations and editing, no matter how "extreme". I regard photography as art and not science therefore any expression is valid for me. I might like some styles and not like others, but that has got to do more with taste than ethics.
I have shown many times my "out of camera" images and the edited version (in the Show Before and After thread) because I believe that one should not limit his/her art to what simply the camera captures. It is even mentioned in my post on this thread

What I frown upon is when a photographer lies about the process and says otherwise, just to tout him/herself holier-than-thou

SteveAdler

Mu-43 Top Veteran
I am not sure if I am understood here correctly, because I fully agree with your process on photography.
I am all for manipulations and editing, no matter how "extreme". I regard photography as art and not science therefore any expression is valid for me. I might like some styles and not like others, but that has got to do more with taste than ethics.
I have shown many times my "out of camera" images and the edited version (in the Show Before and After thread) because I believe that one should not limit his/her art to what simply the camera captures. It is even mentioned in my post on this thread

What I frown upon is when a photographer lies about the process and says otherwise, just to tout him/herself holier-than-thou
People are complicated. I prefer to judge the quality of the outcome rather than try to judge the integrity of the photographer based on a perception of their representation of themselves in one photograph.

Kae1

Mu-43 Regular
Another trip in my time machine back to the 60's/70's - classic cars, no wings, and open faced helmets.

I couldn't photograph it but I knew it was British summer as I needed a pair of gloves and a Thermos flask in August ;) .

Real Name
Martin

amit

Mu-43 Regular
Sleeping at the restaurant (original colors)

Turtle life

Lioness via glass

Acraftman

Mu-43 Top Veteran
Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Mu-43 is a fan site and not associated with Olympus, Panasonic, or other manufacturers mentioned on this site.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Copyright © 2009-2019 Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom