Your three-lens lineup of choice right now?

Pretty much my "holy trinity": The 17mm f1.2, 45mm f1.8 and last but by far not least the 75mm f1.8

That's my typical everyday combination if I have no specific subjects in mind and just head out for a walk or hike. If I want to save some weight, I might replace the 17mm Pro with the f1.8 version.

PakkyT

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
I don't really have that many lenses, at least compared to a lot of you here. I believe I only have 7 true m43 lenses and one of those is the 9mm fisheye BCL.

So I do have more than 3, but it is a rare outing if I leave the house with any more than one or three. The only exception would be when traveling I might have a couple more than 3 but the intent is that some number of them will always be left back in the hotel depending on time of day and what we are going to do. Once at my destination only a couple/trio make it out of the hotel room at a time.

Also for m43 bodies I only have my single E-M1.1 for normal photography. No two bodies with two lenses mounted outings unless I am bringing the IR converted E-P2 camera as well but that is a special case camera.

There is definitely something to be said about having too many choices and only acquiring what you really want and will actually use rather than everything that comes along. But the flip side, as others have said, no need to artificially restrict yourself to some small number of lenses for "just because" reasons.

RichardC

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
Richard
I don't really have that many lenses, at least compared to a lot of you here. I believe I only have 7 true m43 lenses and one of those is the 9mm fisheye BCL.

So I do have more than 3, but it is a rare outing if I leave the house with any more than one or three. The only exception would be when traveling I might have a couple more than 3 but the intent is that some number of them will always be left back in the hotel depending on time of day and what we are going to do. Once at my destination only a couple/trio make it out of the hotel room at a time.

Also for m43 bodies I only have my single E-M1.1 for normal photography. No two bodies with two lenses mounted outings unless I am bringing the IR converted E-P2 camera as well but that is a special case camera.

There is definitely something to be said about having too many choices and only acquiring what you really want and will actually use rather than everything that comes along. But the flip side, as others have said, no need to artificially restrict yourself to some small number of lenses for "just because" reasons.

Snap. And I can't help thinking that seven is too many for a hobby. I managed full time for five years with two primes.

PakkyT

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Snap. And I can't help thinking that seven is too many for a hobby. I managed full time for five years with two primes.

Yes, but because that is all you want to use I presume. You didn't decide one day to punish yourself by not allowing yourself anymore?

doady

Mu-43 Veteran
I only have 12-100mm F4 now, but planning to get an ultra-wide and a macro, and that will probably be enough.

Recently, Peter Forsgaard/OM have been advertising the Olympus ultra-wide angle lenses and the current cashback program for them in Europe, which makes me think 8-25mm F4 will be coming soon, so I'll probably get that and have a two-lens lineup at least. A 100mm telephoto macro would be a nice complement to slower standard and ultra-wide 12-100mm and 8-25mm zooms.

Even if I had 3 lenses, I don't see myself ever carrying all of them with me at once. Maybe sometimes I will carry 2 lenses, but I think usually one lens will be enough.

RichardC

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
Richard
Yes, but because that is all you want to use I presume. You didn't decide one day to punish yourself by not allowing yourself anymore?

Didn't need any more. I worked for a studio shooting wedding, portrait and some commercial work. Everything was done with a Bronica SQAi, 50mm/80mm/150mm lenses.

Hired a Hasselblad SWC if we needed anything really wide.

If you could shoot an entire wedding with the 80mm, then not changing lenses meant one less thing to go wrong :)

Bushboy

Mu-43 All-Pro
I think I’ve settled on these three...
P14/2.5, oly 30/3.5, oly 40-150R .
These are the ones I always take. This is all I need. They were cheap, and good. Can’t ask for more than that.
We’re so lucky ! M4/3 for ever.

BPCS

Mu-43 Regular
For say on holiday to cover everything, has to be 5 for me. Oly 8mm FE, PL 8-18, Oly 12-100, PL 15, Pana 42.5 and PL 100-400. If only 3 allowed, then the 3 zooms. As the 5 lenses I mention are still within my weight limit, with an EM1.2, I also take a PL 12 1.4 for astro and Oly 60 macro.

ac12

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
I only have four lenses that I currently use with my APS-C Nikon D7200. 18-140 DX + 70-200/4 FX + 35/1.8 DX + 50/1.8 FX
Of the four, two are APS-C/DX lenses and two are FF/FX lenses.

I did not get any more APS-C lenses, because I was constantly thinking I was going to upgrade from APS-C to FF, and I did not want to get stuck with any more APS-C lenses. I had been eyeing the 16-80/2.8-4 APS-C lens, but that lens would have financially committed me to stick with APS-C. So I kept putting it off, expecting to make the decision to go to FF, and saving my money for the switch to FF.
In the end I went the other way, to m4/3.

If I stayed with Nikon APS-C, I was looking at adding at least another three lenses to the tool box; an ultra-wide, a fast mid-zoom (17-50/2.8 or 16-80/2.8-4), a long zoom (100-400, 200-500, or 150-600).

Last edited:
Real Name
Mark
It's apparently been almost 3 years so I thought I'd see what I wrote in this thread back in 2018. Man, was I off on predicting the future. Who knew I'd turn into more of a prime shooter? My current 3 lens lineup is the Panasonic 14mm f/2.5, the Panasonic 20mm f/1.7, and the Olympus 45mm f/1.8. These three live in my man purse that goes everywhere. One of them (usually the 20mm) is on the camera and the other two are on back caps that are glued together.

I MIGHT end up switching the 45mm out for either a Helios 44-2 or a Sigma 30mm f/2.8. I don't have either at the moment but they are both on the wish list ;-)

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Mu-43 is a fan site and not associated with Olympus, Panasonic, or other manufacturers mentioned on this site.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Forum GIFs powered by GIPHY: https://giphy.com/
Copyright © Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom