Your three-lens lineup of choice right now?

jreed

Mu-43 Regular
The three lenses that seem to get by far the most use for me these days is the P12-35/2.8, the Oly 60/2.8 and the Oly 75/1.8. I used to love the P20/1.7, but I rarely take it out of the bag any more. The 12-35 is my workhorse- love it. I've gotten used to the extra size and weight... the convenience and quality is worth it. The 75 is pretty new to me, but I really like it so far. I held off for a long time 'cause I didn't want to spend the money, but I'm glad I finally did. The 60 I use mostly for a little macro work, but portraits as well, when the 75 is too tight. I rarely feel the need to use anything else than these three great lenses these days!

algold

Mu-43 Top Veteran
Real Name
Alex
Right now:
Oly 12-100/4
Pana 7-14/4
Oly 17/1.8
In a PD 5l sling
Refined my kit, for now it’s all Oly lenses:
7-14/2.8, 12-100/4 and either 17/1.8 or 25/1.8 in the same PD 5l sling.
Sold the Pana 7-14/4 - great lens, but the opposite zoom direction was driving me nuts.

mumu

Mu-43 Top Veteran
My main kit is 4 lenses: 8-18/2.8-4, 12-35/2.8, 35-100/2.8 and 15/1.7.

If I had to pare it down to 3, I'd leave the 8-18 at home.

I don't know how I missed this thread. This is exactly who I always answer when "Trinity" thread pop up. I can only answer about right now. Because next week I might be exploring other things.

Right now in native lenses it is the Kowa Prominar 8.5 2.8, Oly 60 and Panasonic 100-300.

Non-native is mainly the Leica Macro-Elmar-R 100 4 (helicoid), Super Takumar 28 3.5 and Super Takumar 105 2.8 - mainly because they are the last three I acquired.

Robertom

Mu-43 Regular
My kit is now
12, 17, 45, 75
All premium line

I also have 14-42 EZ.

I am going to use it till the end of this year.

Next year maybe
Laowa 9, PL15 and PL42.5

Real Name
Richard Correale
I've settled with the 12-40 Pro, 40-150 Pro and the 25mm f/1.8. The 12-40 is used for 95% of what I shoot while the other two come out when I need either extra reach or extra speed and lighter kit. For me it's a very comfortable combination.

Jeffcs

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Well I have two 3 lens line up Olympus pro zoom trinity and than I have the pro 1.2 trinity but my favorite lens is the 12-40 F2.8

Taurahe

Mu-43 Veteran
Real Name
Brandon
My EDC kit is simple...
Oly 17mm 1.8
Panny 25mm 1.7
Oly 45mm 1.8

I have other lenes that occasionally get added to or swapped with, such as my Olympus )M glass ( 28mm 3.5, 50mm 1.8, 135mm 3.5) and sometimes a samyang 7.5mm 3.5 fisheye, but that is my do all kit

speedy

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
As I'm no creature of habit, lately it's been my PL 8-18, PL 25, and Siggy 56 1.4. Next week it will be something different. Variety is the spice of life after all :) No one tell my wife that :)

ac12

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
I decided that I can't do a 3-lens kit.
I HAVE TO know what the shoot is, because the lens selection depends so much on the requirement.

Even a "do everything" kit depends.
  • If it is travel, then the major criteria is light weight and small size. P-Lumix 12-60 (or O 14-150) + 17/1.8 (a 2-lens kit)
  • If it is at home or near the car, the weight and size limitation disappear. This is a completely different kit. O 12-40/2.8 + 40-150/2.8 + 17/1.2
Do I need ultra-wide (7-14) or ultra-long (100-400)?
Do I need a super-wide zoom range in a pro lens (12-100)?
Do I need a specialized macro lens (30 or 60 macro)?
etc.

Every lens in a small kit is a compromise to some requirement.
The fewer the lenses in the kit, the more compromises.

So, the best way to do this is to list ALL of YOUR requirements.
Then rank the requirements.
Then look for and resolve conflicts between requirements (like you want a FAST f/1.2 lens, and you want an inexpensive lens). This will likely require compromises between requirements (like rather than the expensive f/1.2 lens, you can settle on the cheaper f/1.8 lens).​
Then re-rank the requirements.​
Then match the lens to the final requirements.

In my case, I decided that it is best to have a "tool box" of lenses to pick from, so that I can select the best lens for the shoot. Thus minimizing compromising on a lens that won't do the job well, or even at all. Even so, that lens "tool box" itself is a compromise ($ budget), and does NOT have a lot of lenses in it.

speedy

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
I decided that I can't do a 3-lens kit.
I HAVE TO know what the shoot is, because the lens selection depends so much on the requirement.

Even a "do everything" kit depends.
  • If it is travel, then the major criteria is light weight and small size. P-Lumix 12-60 (or O 14-150) + 17/1.8 (a 2-lens kit)
  • If it is at home or near the car, the weight and size limitation disappear. This is a completely different kit. O 12-40/2.8 + 40-150/2.8 + 17/1.2
Do I need ultra-wide (7-14) or ultra-long (100-400)?
Do I need a super-wide zoom range in a pro lens (12-100)?
Do I need a specialized macro lens (30 or 60 macro)?
etc.

Every lens in a small kit is a compromise to some requirement.
The fewer the lenses in the kit, the more compromises.

So, the best way to do this is to list ALL of YOUR requirements.
Then rank the requirements.​
Then look for and resolve conflicts between requirements (like you want a FAST f/1.2 lens, and you want an inexpensive lens). This will likely require compromises between requirements (like rather than the expensive f/1.2 lens, you can settle on the cheaper f/1.8 lens).​
Then re-rank the requirements.​
Then match the lens to the final requirements.

In my case, I decided that it is best to have a "tool box" of lenses to pick from, so that I can select the best lens for the shoot. Thus minimizing compromising on a lens that won't do the job well, or even at all. Even so, that lens "tool box" itself is a compromise ($ budget), and does NOT have a lot of lenses in it.
Dude -you're WAY over thinking it. It's not like it's a life and death matter, or even super critical what you take, as long as you're willing to perhaps get outside your comfort zone a little bit.
Currently, and it will change, as certain as death and taxes, my current 3 lens kit consists of my Laowa 10mm, Lumix G 12-35 f/2.8II, and my Sigma 30 f/1.4
I generally limit myself to round about that number of lenses, in my normal photographic expedition's.
Some of the best fun I had, was when I traveled overseas for 3 months, and took my Lumix 14, 20 & 25mm cheap primes. And shot these https://photos.app.goo.gl/agyPpN9Y5E7qeS4R7

John King

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
John ...
Dude -you're WAY over thinking it. It's not like it's a life and death matter, or even super critical what you take, as long as you're willing to perhaps get outside your comfort zone a little bit.
I agree. See below.
Nice collection. Exactly my point. These days, one does NOT need a 20x16 inch camera to capture extremely nice images.

My choice: E-M1 MkII + 12-100 plus E-PM2 + f/1.8 25 + 14-42 EZ with JJC auto-opening lens cap.

Covers pretty well everything.

Could always sneak in the 75-300 MkII. It still all fits in a small rucksack bag I use as my general purpose camera bag.

Total weight with various accessories is a whole 3 kgs ...

Last edited:

speedy

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
I agree. See below.

Nice collection. Exactly my point. These days, one does NOT need a 20x16 inch camera to capture extremely nice images.

My choice: E-M1 MkII + 12-100 plus E-PM2 + f/1.8 25 + 14-42 EZ with JJC auto-opening lens cap.

Covers pretty well everything.

Could always sneak in the 75-300 MkII. It still all fits in a small rucksack bag I use as my general purpose camera bag.

Total weight with various accessories is a whole 3 kgs ...
I swear, I'm a hopeless tragic when it comes to lenses. Part of the reason I moved to m4/3 was to keep things small, compact, and simple. Too much gear just gets in the way, and you end up obsessing more about the gear, rather than opening your eyes, and actually seeing what's around you. Sigh. I started off well, but degenerated into a lens collector after a while. I blame the lack of a rectilinear ultrawide prime at the time, and the subsequent purchase of the PL 8-18 😂
Oddly enough, I have zero desire to take them all with me when I go out for the day, or on a trip, so I guess I'm not too badly afflicted. Pretty happy just to take a couple of primes now, or my 12-35 and a prime. More for effect, than low light. My Laowa 10mm and a longer prime fit the bill here.
In saying that, I'm pretty pleased with myself that I've still managed to keep it all pretty small, light and compact though. Small mercies

John King

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
John ...
I swear, I'm a hopeless tragic when it comes to lenses. Part of the reason I moved to m4/3 was to keep things small, compact, and simple. Too much gear just gets in the way, and you end up obsessing more about the gear, rather than opening your eyes, and actually seeing what's around you. Sigh. I started off well, but degenerated into a lens collector after a while. I blame the lack of a rectilinear ultrawide prime at the time, and the subsequent purchase of the PL 8-18 😂
Oddly enough, I have zero desire to take them all with me when I go out for the day, or on a trip, so I guess I'm not too badly afflicted. Pretty happy just to take a couple of primes now, or my 12-35 and a prime. More for effect, than low light. My Laowa 10mm and a longer prime fit the bill here.
In saying that, I'm pretty pleased with myself that I've still managed to keep it all pretty small, light and compact though. Small mercies
@speedy, That's why I effectively have three different kits based on my E-M1 MkI, E-M1 MkII and E-PM2.

One normally has some clue/reason about a day's shoot.

So this generally informs my decision on what to take. This can sometimes be just the E-PM2 + 14/42 EZ. A whole 360 grams!

Sometimes it will be my E-M1 MkII + 12-100, around 1,200 grams.

Great to have these choices.

retiredfromlife

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
My current kits are
1) G85 & 14-140, my main walk around and holiday kit
2) G85 & 14-140 plus Pany 100-300, this is very rare
Normally if i think i will use the 100-300 i will just take that lens

3) Oly EM1.3 and 12-100

I sometimes take a NISI close up filter, i really like these, only use macros at home, all other spiders on walks with above gear

I prefer to miss shots than take too much gear, since i only take photos for myself, and dont really anything with them anyway

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Mu-43 is a fan site and not associated with Olympus, Panasonic, or other manufacturers mentioned on this site.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Forum GIFs powered by GIPHY: https://giphy.com/
Copyright © Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom