YouR thoughts on an SSD drive for my Macbook Pro

LisaO

Mu-43 Top Veteran
Real Name
Lisa
I'm looking to get an SSD as an external drive for a backup set when traveling later this spring. I copy my photos on the road to at least 2 or 3 drives. Hoping to get a drive in the 256 GB range but waiting for price drops. This is for use with a 13" MacBook Air that has 256 SSD built (starts up an and launches apps real fast). I want a fast, small and less corruptible media as one of my backup options.

maxphoto

Mu-43 Regular
I don't know enough about Mac's, but on my PC when my 10,000 rpm Raptor died, I got a SSD. The only improvement I noticed was on startup. Otherwise, everything else was faster on the Raptor.
I didn't know that some WD drives have a 5 year warranty, so I will be sending the Raptor in for replacement.
When comparing SSD to a 7,200 rpm drive, I'd take the SSD any day.

JustShootMe

Mu-43 Regular
I use a 11" macbook air latest generation with the 128GB SSD, it has 4 GB of ram also. My little macbook 1.6Ghz runs circles around my Dual Core 2.6Ghz , 8GB of ram Pc. I know some of that is the OS , but SSD's are an average of 64% faster than 7200 RPM drives.

The macbook air is way underpowered in this day and age , but the SSD's take up the slack... It really is a great machine unless you edit alot of raw files. I'm sold on SSD's , and macs for that matter ... oh yeah I'm an engineer at DELL. :biggrin: funny huh

usayit

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
ssd intel xm-25 80 gb drive swapped into a netbook hackintosh. These cheap machines are usually equipped with low power consuming, inexpensive, but slow performing drives. XBench results showed that it was a bottleneck that I could easily deal with. Made a swap to ssd and th difference is HUGE.

Just like anything else, you just dont spend money and throw it a problem. You should do it intelligently by identifying areas of improvement and figuring out how to test against it. Also taking into consideration the very specifics of the stuff you have identified as possible solutions. Like SSD slower read times versus fast write times. Some might report little improvement but perhaps its because the of bottlenecks elsewhere.

If I had a 10000 rpm good performing drive fail in a workstation, I would have replaced it with another 10000rpm not an SSD.. In this case, a netbook with limits in power, physical size, and less priority on capacity, the SSD was a clear option.

Kalieaire

Mu-43 Rookie
I use an Apple Toshiba 512GB SSD and a second 750GB spindle drive for storage where the Superdrive was.

I'm limited to 8x DVD writes, but that's never been a problem for me.

The performance I get out of FinalCut, Adobe Bridge, and Lightroom is well worth the cost. When you handle same day edits at weddings, sometimes the ends justifies the means.

However, for those of you who are looking for a much more "sane" install, a 128GB SSD should be just fine for all the basic applications. Just learn to cut down on what you need vs what you don't. I spend more money on the equipment I use to make a living than stuff that I use to fart around on.

For example, my MacBook Air is more than enough for my regular day to day use, but my MacBook Pro, I treat it like a race car, I use it when I need performance and it's extremely dependable, I also keep it maintained so that the only thing I can do on it is work. This guarantees repeatability and that clients walk away happy when they give me that fat check at the end of the day. :)

phigmov

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
I have a first gen MacBook (a straight core duo) which is now 3+ years old. It's had two drive upgrades (from 80 to 120 and then 300) and its been a real trooper.

It was starting to behave oddly so I ended up doing two things - bought a Core i3 iMac onto which I transferred all my stuff. The processor and faster disk on the iMac has made a huge difference to my iPhoto experience. The second thing I did was buy a 32Gb SSD drive and added it to my MacBook to eke another couple of years life out of it. A clean OS X install and its been working fine as a general purpose browsing/email machine. Boots a little faster, is a bit quieter and doesn't seem to run as hot - other than that not much change. File reads feel a little quicker and marginally slower.

Overall a worthwhile upgrade for me.

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Mu-43 is a fan site and not associated with Olympus, Panasonic, or other manufacturers mentioned on this site.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Copyright © 2009-2019 Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom