Your photography background

Discussion in 'Open Discussion' started by sprinke, Aug 19, 2011.

1. sprinke

sprinke Mu-43 All-Pro

Apr 5, 2011
    Pasadena, CA
    Just curious how many people are "moving up" to m4/3 from a point-and-shoot, vs. "moving across" from a DSLR.
    • Like Like x 1
  2. walt_tbay

walt_tbay Mu-43 Veteran

Aug 24, 2010
    Ontario, Canada
  3. sprinke

sprinke Mu-43 All-Pro

Apr 5, 2011
    Pasadena, CA
    Please vote in the poll! :smile:
  4. chrism_scotland

chrism_scotland Mu-43 Veteran

Jun 1, 2011
    Edinburgh, Scotland
    Last camera before investing in an EP1 and now EP2 was a Pentax K20D, lovely camera and the Pentax primes are incredible but I travel a lot and the DSLR kit was just too bulky to take everywhere.
    Seriously considered a NEX but the m4/3 prime lenses really sold me as did the IS and looks of the EP1/EP2 series as I knew I'd be using some legacy glass.

Also had various Sony's and an Olympus E620 before so I knew what I was getting in the EP1!
  5. phrenic

phrenic Mu-43 All-Pro

Sep 13, 2010
    The only camera I owned previously was a mediocre Fuji P&S from maybe 2003ish. I went without a camera for 4-5 years, but enjoyed borrowing compacts on occasion. Though, the poor IQ from those small sensors was really started getting to me and with more travelling, I thought it was a good time to move up.
  6. nuclearboy

nuclearboy Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jan 28, 2011
    Ellicott City, MD
    Up from superzooms

Had SLRs but moved to compact zooms when digital took off. Have not had interchangeable lens cameras for over 20 years. Always tempted to go to DSLR but never wanted to carry the load.

m4/3 pushed be back to the interchangeable lens systems.
  7. Ned

Ned Mu-43 Legend

Jul 18, 2010
    Alberta, Canada
    Across. My system before Micro Four-Thirds was the Four-Thirds DSLR system. When the original E-P1 Digital PEN was announced, I had to have it as a compact companion to my rugged E-3 which could have a pancake mounted for compact travel, or could be mounted with my existing Four-Thirds glass as a second body which takes virtually no extra space in my bags.

When my E-3's shutter wore out I started to use my backup PEN camera in the studio, and found that it made an excellent primary studio camera as well. Delivers on quality, but introduces new factors for ease of use, such as light weight for all-day shooting as well as freedom from the eye-level viewfinder (of course the E-P1 has no EVF and I wouldn't use it anyways while triggering studio lights) which allowed me many angles without contorting my body into a pretzel, as well as easier interaction with models.

Now I practically use my PEN body for everything. I'll probably upgrade to an E-5 eventually, but I'm in no hurry. The current PEN line satisfies my needs, even though I miss the great pentaprism viewfinder and the tough, weather-sealed build.
  8. dixeyk

dixeyk Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Aug 9, 2010
    Across...I started with point and shoots back in the day with an Apple Quicktake camera (I think that's what that bugger was called) and noodled about with everything from a CoolPix to some of the early Fuji Super CCD cameras but I made the switch to m43 shortly after finishing a stint doing product photography (first with a Canon 10D, 20D then moving over to an Olympus E500). The final thing that brought me to m43 was a long trip through Spain and Portugal lugging an E520, 14-54, 40-150 and OM50/1.8. I do a lot of walking and like to explore. Many miles and some very sore shoulders later I decided I would NEVER lug about DSLR gear again. I sold everything and picked up an E-PL1 kit. I have played around with different models and lenses in m43 but have never even thought of going back to a DSLR.
  9. JudyM

JudyM Mu-43 All-Pro

May 5, 2010
    Westminster, MD
    I purchased my Gf1 after owning 35mm and medium format cameras: Olympus OM2n's, Hasselblad, Mamiya M645 and a Contax 167MT, so I suppose I moved "across". On the other hand, I purchased my 5D Mark II after my Gf1. Would that be moving "across" again? Not really. I wouldn't say I've moved from one camera to the other at all, because I enjoy using them all equally and I do use them all. They each have their strengths and weaknesses.
  10. thearne3

thearne3 Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jan 28, 2010
    Redding, CT USA
    Up. Sold my Canon G9 (among other things) to fund an E-P1 when it was introduced. Had used OM-2 from 1980 or so until finally selling it when I got into digital with the G-2. Sold my OM 50 f1.2 as well. ARRRRRRRRRRRGGHH!
  11. Markb

Markb Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jun 9, 2011
    Kent, UK
    My digital timeline runs Fuji F11 > Canon G9 > Olympus e-520 > Nikon D60 > E-P1. Before it was mostly Leica rfs and before that Pentax slrs.

Oddly, the day I bought my first dslr was the very day the E-P1 arrived in the shop. I handled it and went for the e-520 for some reason. I could have saved a lot of messing about right there and then.
  12. KVG

KVG Banned User

May 10, 2011
    yyc(Calgary, AB)
    Kelly Gibbons
    I rocked an iPhone 3g:2thumbs:

13. Luckypenguin

Luckypenguin .

Oct 9, 2010
    Brisbane, Australia
    Moved sideways from a series of Canon DSLRs starting with a 350D, and the latest being a 50D and a 500D. I still slide in either direction depending upon what I feel like using at the time.
  14. DownUnderDog

DownUnderDog Mu-43 Regular

Retired Pro

In my film days I used "blads" and Canon F1. In digital I used Canon 1d. Sold all the digital with the business. All I had left was a small collection of old film cameras. So I looked and listened. This brought me to mu43. Now I have a G1, GF1, 20mm lens, 14-45 zoom and a 45-200 zoom. Just enjoy it so much. Recently got some old FD lenses out of the garage. Trying them out. About to travel extensively across Australia, so I bought an LX-2 for a pocket camera.
  15. 43hk

43hk Mu-43 Veteran

Dec 26, 2010
    Film was an ancient Pentax Spotmatic, Minolta X300 and Nikon F50. Which pretty much covered my poor student days and their aftermath.:frown:

Digital started in 2000 with a Sony DSC F505V, through a Canon Ixus 900 and to a Canon S3IS.

Finally a GF1 and some lenses. I'm a move up from the compact digital world and a welcome step down in size from film cameras.

Would have been really easy to just go out and get Canon+Kit combo, so glad I didn't.
  16. phigmov

phigmov Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Apr 4, 2010
    Started with my fathers old Olympus Pen E (1986), then a big gap until I picked up a Olympus Superzoom 70 (1998) and a few years later a beat up old Pentax K1000 (1999).

Somewhere in there I recall seeing and using the Apple QuickTake 100 and thinking it was pretty awesome (1998?)

Entering the digital age I picked up a Panasonic D-Snap DV-AS10 (2003) followed a few years later by a Canon Powershot 540 (2006).

When I started to look into photography again in 2009 I picked up an Olympus Trip 35 (after stumbling across the website) followed a few months later by a Pen FT from KEH.

Soon after I picked up an E-P1 and joined the ranks of m43.

GAS soon led me to pick up an RB67, Rollei TLR, OM1/2/4, Nikon F3HP, Bessa R, Pen D2 and EES. And I've got a Nikon FE on the way.

Definitely prefer the enforced contemplation and surprise value of shooting with film but my E-P1 travels with me pretty much constantly as a digital companion.
  17. Adubo

Adubo SithLord

Nov 4, 2010
    I voted other as i shoot with SLRs and P&Ss before. I used to shoot with a 5d and 1d and a canon g7. And sold the g7 for the e-p1. A few months later i've sold gears that costed a lot of money. Hence, i became happy to jump UP and ACROSS

Sent from my iOS using Mu-43 App
  18. jambaj0e

jambaj0e Mu-43 Top Veteran

Aug 31, 2010
    I started shooting exactly one year ago in August 2010 because I broke my Panasonic TZ5 point-n-shoot before going to Hawaii. While at Fry's Electronic, I saw the E-PL1, asked ppl on Facebook, read reviews online, and decided to purchase it that night.

First time using a dSLR. I'm still amazed how far I've gone and progressed. Many more experience to come!
  19. daimos

daimos Mu-43 Veteran

Jun 23, 2010