Your photo featured on Google!

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by datagov, Mar 25, 2015.

1. datagov

datagov Mu-43 All-Pro

Dec 2, 2012
    New York
    check this out!

This was a 8-shot stack taken with the E-M1 and O60 @f8 with two flashes

• Like Like x 23
    • Winner Winner x 9
  2. TwoWheels

TwoWheels Mu-43 Top Veteran

May 28, 2014
    British Columbia
    That is a beautiful shot!
    • Agree Agree x 2
  3. maritan

maritan Mu-43 Veteran

Oct 30, 2014
  4. 350duser

350duser Mu-43 Veteran

Sep 26, 2012
    Brisbane, QLD
    Great shot. Well done
  5. PeeBee

PeeBee Mu-43 Top Veteran

Sep 17, 2012
    Well done, I'll watch out for it on my Chromecast :2thumbs:
  6. Itchybiscuit

Itchybiscuit Photon Mangler

Dec 10, 2013
    Glasgow, Scotland
  7. wjiang

wjiang Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Nice. Interesting that they picked a 40 MP shot, I wonder what the criteria for high quality is?
  8. Evan614

Evan614 Mu-43 Regular

May 6, 2014
    Congratulations, but another prime example of the degradation of our industry. What was once a paid gig to make an image for client is an example of present times of payment: acknowledgment (no money).
    sorry for raining on your parade.
    The day the advertising agency (I did photography for) said they found a stock photo for their client ... I knew my days of a fruitful business was numbered.

I hope this can be a good (free) marketing opportunity for you.
    • Agree Agree x 6
    • Like Like x 1
  9. agentlossing

agentlossing Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Jun 26, 2013
    Andrew Lossing
    Maybe the parade was canceled, but the rain added a nice effect on those tulips ;)
  10. OzRay

OzRay Mu-43 Legend

Jan 29, 2010
    South Gippsland, Australia
    Ray, not Oz
    Yes, the sad thing is that Google acquired a very nice photograph for nothing, to use as they please. What's disturbing about this is that Google took ownership of the photo without even asking if the owner was prepared to relinquish rights to the photo. It's almost like feudal England where everything belonged to the king, princes or lords.
    • Agree Agree x 4
  11. ThereAndBackAgain

ThereAndBackAgain Fighting GAS

May 26, 2014
    North Devon, England
    Even worse than that, Ray. At least in feudal England (I remember it well), the villein received a roof and some food for his labours. This way the photographer does all the work and gets precisely nothing for it - not even a byline.
    • Agree Agree x 1
  12. OzRay

OzRay Mu-43 Legend

Jan 29, 2010
    Ray, not Oz
    That's true, the villein and vassals weren't left to starve or freeze to death in winter; their labours at least provided some small returns to their lives. I doubt that the likes of Google would be interested in the least in the welfare of their vassals (do no evil indeed).
  13. macro

macro Mu-43 Regular

Jan 22, 2012
    Focusing on the positive side ;), beautiful shot and great colours. Love the drops and looks so sharp. What adds to it is the sweeps and curves in the leaves. Well done and congrats, pleased for you and good to see.

All the best.

14. OzRay

OzRay Mu-43 Legend

Jan 29, 2010
    Ray, not Oz
    No positivity lost whatsoever, all here have acknowledged it as a well executed shot.

The discussion isn't detracting from the quality of the shot, but it highlights the appalling attitude towards photographers from today's commercial enterprises. A multi-billion dollar organisation taking ownership of someone's work with nothing but some smarmy platitudes should be decried. This is the very reason why many aspects of professional photography is withering on the vine.

There may be complaints that some of the comments are off-topic, but this thread has raised a very important issue that shouldn't be readily dismissed. It's a catalyst for thought and discussion, even amongst amateur and enthusiast photographers.

All the best, kiss, kiss and whatever.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Appreciate Appreciate x 1
  15. dogs100

dogs100 Mu-43 Top Veteran

Nov 12, 2011
    N Devon UK
    I am not sure what version of history you have ... but they were left to starve and freeze to death way up until Victorian times. But that apart, 'stealing' his photo (because that's what they did) is wrong.

But hmmm! I wish I was good enough for them to want to steal one of mine
  16. macro

macro Mu-43 Regular

Jan 22, 2012
    Gees, thanks Ray. Same back at you ;)

All the very best Ray.

17. OzRay

OzRay Mu-43 Legend

Jan 29, 2010
    Ray, not Oz
    Going way off-topic in this historical respect (I think understanding history is important, no matter where and when you come across it) so yes, there were unfortunate incidents; however, the feudal system wasn't entirely bad, it reformed and ultimately created a pretty good system that most of us enjoy today. And that's the interesting corollary to what's happening with personal rights and ownership in today's internet age, are we entering a new feudal system?
  18. Amin Sabet

Amin Sabet Administrator

Apr 10, 2009
    Boston, MA (USA)
  19. Growltiger

Growltiger Mu-43 Top Veteran

Mar 26, 2014
    What do the Google terms say? Can I take the photo and use it legally without asking or paying now it has been publicly shared, or can only Google do that?
  20. Amin Sabet

Amin Sabet Administrator

Apr 10, 2009
    Boston, MA (USA)
    What makes you think Google is using the image without permission? I'm assuming @datagov@datagov granted permission for use, either by way of license or terms of service.